seaforth highlanders sporran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seaforth highlanders sporran

Hi Guys, can anybody tell me if this is ww1 or ww2, the guy i got it from got it from the vets family and was told it was the ladies uncle who was kia at aged 19 , but didnt ask which war, the RA slip ons were in its purse, cheers Dave
    Attached Files

Its horse hair
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

h
          Attached Files

Comment

looks like fort george at bottom
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sscrooge; 12-21-2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

l
              Attached Files

Comment

I know nothing about these things, but that's a freakin' cool item!

Comment

Must of served in both wars, its going to be impossible to know if they are the same man unless his death made local press.

The regimental number is late 1914 enlistment, it up to you to decide if this is the same man, time for you to do some maths!

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="medalplain">Medal card of Wharton, Arthur</td> </tr> <tr class="medalHeaderDetail"><th scope="col" class="medalplain" width="33%">
                  </th><th scope="col" class="medalplain" width="33%">
                  </th><th scope="col" class="medalplain" width="33%">
                  </th></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="medalplain">Seaforth Highlanders</td> <td class="medalplain">2893</td> <td class="medalplain">Private</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="medalplain">Seaforth Highlanders</td> <td class="medalplain">200746</td> <td class="medalplain">Private</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="datatable" width="97%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr id="tr_name"><td id="td_name">

WHARTON, ARTHUR</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_initials"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Initials:</th> <td id="td_initials">A</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_nationality"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Nationality:</th> <td id="td_nationality">United Kingdom</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_rank"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Rank:</th> <td id="td_rank">Gunner</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_regiment"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Regiment/Service:</th> <td id="td_regiment">Royal Artillery</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_unittext"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Unit Text:</th> <td id="td_unittext">118 Field Regt.</td> </tr> <!-- <tr> <td vAlign="top" align="left" width="30%">Force:</td> <td id="td_force"></td> </tr>--> <tr id="tr_age"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Age:</th> <td id="td_age">39</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_death"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Date of Death:</th> <td id="td_death">05/12/1942</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_service"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Service No:</th> <td id="td_service">1119537</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_information"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Additional information:</th> <td id="td_information">Son of Abraham and Ellen Wharton; husband of Bertha Wharton, of Salford, Lancashire.</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_type"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Casualty Type:</th> <td id="td_type">Commonwealth War Dead</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_grave"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Grave/Memorial Reference:</th> <td id="td_grave">4. F. 2.</td> </tr> <tr id="tr_cemetery"> <th valign="top" width="30%" align="right"> Cemetery:</th> <td id="td_cemetery">KANCHANABURI WAR CEMETERY</td></tr></tbody></table>

Comment

Hi Dave, I am not sure this will be of any help.
                    I have come across two WW2 era Seaforth Highlanders sporrans in the last couple of months.
                    One was date stamped 1937 on the reverse, the other was dated 1938.
                    Unfortunately I can not recall the makers name.
                    Possibly a non dated sporran suggests earlier manurfacture?
                    Brent

Comment

Thanks guys for the help with this and especially to Yellow for the detailed information , i will call and see the guy i got it from to find out if he remembers anymore from the relative, cheers Dave

Comment

I forgot to say that the slip ons are WW2. Diffcult to date the lanyard as the same style and manufacture was worn in both wars.

Wharton's Battalion during WW1 was a Territorial Force Battalion.

In the above research I am of course adding two and two to make five. There was only one Arthur Wharton killed during Ww2.

Comment

just rang the guy i got it from, he said the lady he got it from appeared to be in late 60s and kept crying when telling him about her uncle , she sold the bits because she was moving house and was having to have a clear out, he thought she had said 19 but could have been mistaken as she kept crying when speaking about him, but shes from manchester area and salfords just down the road so looks like it could be this guy. cheers Dave

Comment

The crossed out name appears to be james mcdonald
                            Attached Files

Comment

1611 james mc donald?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X