No announcement yet.

SAS combat vest ,first pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice vest, similar to this issue one that I think was trialed in GW1. Has a mesh yoke, plce fittings, built in small pack and can be attached to belt rig with loops. Also has toggle fastening to front like the WW2 battle jerkin. Label says 'Pack Combat L/WT', date looks like 1990.
    Lee
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is a shot of the inside .
      Attached Files

Comment

So After looking through my pictures last night I found this shot with myself ,the good looking one holding the SLR and wearing the windproof smock .
        I am also wearing a 2nd model vest that has nylon pockets .This is the vest worn in when going for a sunday drive in your pinkpanther .
        I am standing beside the Gunny from Mail Call or as you may also know him the DI from Platoon .
        I was doing a SAS Display at Fort McAthur in San Pedro California .
        This vest is the 72 pattern .
        It is different from both vests already shown , this leads me to believe my first vest was made well before 72 .
        owen
        Attached Files

Comment

One more shot of the vest and stuff
          owen
          Attached Files

Comment

The fact that It's canvass and not nylon doesn't mean It's earlier allthough it may be.

The 72 pattern and nylon 58 were never taken up as they didn't work. instead the the Army stuck with canvass 58 with the odd small mod.

I have a set of 58 that belonged to a member of the SAS In the 70's and 80's and most of the pics I have seen show this equipment in varying guises. My set has had the kidney pouches sewn together with leather boot laces to make one big pouch and has been painted so often It's having a bit of an identity crisis.

The SAS have much lattitude In choosing their kit and are renowned for having special items privately made. It's possible someone had a few of these made up for their troop after having seen similar on secondment, ie Scouts or similar.

Personally I recon your vest probably dates from some time from the late 70's onwards but unless we get someone on here who actually used one for real we won't know sadly. It's a lovely thing though and looks superb with the windys, many thanks for showing us.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Guy
              You know more about these than me for sure .
              I know it was love at first sight for me .
              Do you remember the Elite magazine?
              On the back page with the Line drawing and the SAS guy ?
              That was me done .
              owen

Comment

Hi Owen,

No I don't , we are all thrashing about In the dark really due to a lack of primary sources. It's only my opinion that this Is later, It could well be a 60's thing but It's the kind of piece one started to see far more In pics In the early 80's. I think the very magazine you mention had a feature on the SBS during the Falklands and I think a couple of them are wearing similar garments.

Anyway, It's a nice thing and hopefully we'll be able to find out more about It.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

G
                  I have a mate who has one the same as my first model .
                  It is the exact same in every way only is is even more damages than mine .
                  His came with a letter from an SAS guy saying when and where he wore it .
                  I am waiting to hear back from him ,so stay tuned .
                  We will nail this in the end
                  owen

Comment

Thats really Interesting Owen; I may have a bit more news too.

On Saturday I had lunch with a good friend who Is ex Regiment. Without prompting him at all I asked when load vests came In. His immediate reply was that 1972 was when It all started to change. I explained about your vest and he said he estimated It to have been made In about the 74/76 time frame.

Know It's tenuous but hope It helps a bit.

Yours, Guy.

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
                    G
                    I have a mate who has one the same as my first model .
                    It is the exact same in every way only is is even more damages than mine .
                    His came with a letter from an SAS guy saying when and where he wore it .
                    I am waiting to hear back from him ,so stay tuned .
                    We will nail this in the end
                    owen

Comment

G
                      The letter that came with the vest is in storage at the moment but my friend remembers the soliders nick name was Old Brummy .
                      I like your story .
                      We are getting close .
                      o

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X