No announcement yet.

British Para helmet and net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice helmets,guys!!!Although I find the chinstraps on the Micky Mouse helmet very strange[it has only 2 rivets instead of 3 on the strap that should have 3!]
    Also I dont think a repainted helmet,is always a postwar paintjob and offcourse soldiers adjusted their chinstraps and even swopped liners to get that perfect fit.And the leather chinstrap helmets were used postwar untill being gradually fazed out compleetly in the early fifthtees.

Oh and the net is canadian

Comment

I realy dont know if the scrimm is post-war or not, although the net is Canadian thats correct. I somewere have on my pc a picture from the Rousseau brothers (1stCanpara), on there helmet is a huge amount of scrimm and it looks alot like the scrimm what is on this helmet. Maybe someone has the picture, because i cant find it anymore. The pic is also in Ken Joyce his book. page 173

Comment

Originally posted by jelle View Post

Oh and the net is canadian
        I thought it might be. I know very little about Canadian nets. Were they all 2-colour camouflage ? I presume this is an early version ?
        Is the scrim also Canadian, or is it post war ? I would love to know.

Any Canadians here ?

Regards,
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
          Hey Scott,
          G&S helmets have been discussed before: They appear to be unique amongst para helmets, in that their bolts were painted. The outside of G&S helmets also recieved a coating of lacquer for some reason. Perhaps, as Guy has speculated, the new type of paint didn't prove robust enough for field use.

Regards,
          Steve
          Hi Steve,
          Of course I remember that thread too, it was early this morning when I posted thinking of BMB

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
            So,
            What do we think of the net ?
            I'm no expert in this, but here's what I think:
            The scrim looks recently applied to me. After many decades in the same position I'd think it would more 'hang down' or have flattended.

See a top shelf netted para in post # 12 in
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=Oxf.%26Bucks

Marcel
            Last edited by gertje; 11-11-2008, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I am 99.9% certain the date in the leather is 1943, but I'll check on that.

This is how the helmet and liner came to my friend--together. They came from an old (35+ year old) collection.

So, the net is Canadian and the helmet is British? And does everyone concur to the value of £500?

Thanks,
              Cincylance

Comment

No knots?

I guess you guys didn't notice the netting is woven not knoted like most WW2 nets.

Could this be a post war netting? ALL WW2 photos with nets have knots that I've seen.

What you think?

Thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X