Attached Files

Comment

Image 4 - Pommel Nut
      Attached Files

Comment

Image 5 - Pommel Nut other side
        Attached Files

Comment

Image 6 - Last. This knife on left and the other knife I posted in this thread to its right for comparison. Regards, Clive.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Clive,
            I have never seen this type of F-S knife before. There are many differences compared to a P2 made during WW2.
            The blade, the grip, the pommel nut are all wrong for a P2.
            I have not seen or read about any new models or patterns except for those we know about. It would be quite a sensation if a new model emerged now after 63 years, which nobody reported before.
            Sorry to say I don’t think it was made during WW2.

Let me recite Robert Wilkinson Latham
            <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<
            It is so sad that collectors who buy this 'rubbish' will be put off when they are told by a more experienced person that their expensive knife if a FAKE!
            Also the longer they are about, the easier it is for them to 'sneak' into the realms of FS Lore under RARE VARIATION/FACTORY ERROR and when they, and I hope they never do, appear in PRINT, hey presto, FAKE obtains a provenance and becomes an 'identified' variation!

….the fakers thrive on ignorance and wishful thinking! Remember these knives were made during a WAR, there was no time for custom made jobs etc, the best you got from Wilkinsons was to have your name or initials on the FS blade! Always question everything and please, keep the imagination under control! That is the Faker's friend!
            You only have to look, if you know what to look for, at some of the knives already in Published Books to see the process in action!
            <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<

We all make mistakes but let us go forward together and learn from the mistakes and not to repeat them!

Comment

Originally posted by britpc View Post
              Hi Olof,
              The blade is 5mm thick at the cross guard. The tang is hammered over, but may be doesn't look that way in the pics. If it wasn't for the width of the blade I would be 100% happy with this knife Every part of this knife fits the standard pattern.
              As you can see from the grind mark that this is a hand ground blade. Just don't know how this one got through with the width 1/8" narrower than normal. I'd love you to have a hands on on this one. It is a very nice knife and, apart from the width, it looks great. But that's what this game is all about.
              Regards
              Irv
              Hi Irv
              The blade has the right thickness for sure!
              Very interesting.
              As I have told you - I have noticed that B2 knives have more narrow blades than the others.

Comment

Thanks for the comments Olof, I have no problem with them, though I am not in agreement. I certainly understand what Robert Wilkinson Latham had to say, in fact I corresponded with him and met him at my home some 20 years ago. This was in the context of researching WS manufactured knives which were a major passion of mine at the time. There will always be variations and odd patterns of all manner of fighting knives, some still to be acknowledged and even discovered. At the end of the day we all make judgements and is is the fact of feeling comfortable with an item or not that matters. To keep the "ball rolling" I will post another FS Type knife. Unusual and just over 12" long with a blade length of seven and a quarter inches. Regards, Clive.
                Attached Files

Comment

Image 2
                  Attached Files

Comment

Image 3
                    Attached Files

Comment

Image 4
                      Attached Files

Comment

Image 5
                        Attached Files

Comment

Image 6 - Final
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X