Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Riders maroon beret

Guys,
    I got this maroon beret recently, small but in very good condition.
    Does anybody have any thoughts on the blue backing cloth? And could it be original to the beret?

Cheers, Luc

Hiya Luc,

I thought the colour was meant to be more of a purple? Difficult to say if it's original to the beret without having a good hands on examination, how does it seem to you?

Just another point as I'm not too hot on the 1st Airlanding Anti-Aircraft Battery but hadn't it disbanded prior to 1945?

Jack.

Comment

Hi Luc,

The backing is supposed to be Imperial Purple (regimental colours being Purple and Austrian Grey - imagine that on their lanyard ). The date on the beret worries me though. From memory they stopped wearing the RR badge about early '44, though not 100% - sorry. I'm pretty sure it would not be on a 1945 beret though.

For more info on the Riders the Inns of Court Yeo. museum should be able to help.

[QUOTE=lnijherald;2485357]Guys,
      I got this maroon beret recently, small but in very good condition.
      Does anybody have any thoughts on the blue backing cloth? And could it be original to the beret?

Cheers, Luc
      Last edited by sergeant_89fss; 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM. Reason: Aciddentally added pics again!

Comment

Hi Guys,
        The colour of the patch isn't purple for sure. It is very close to the blue found on the Scots Guards shoulder title. Lighter that say REME or Signal Corps and not nearly as purple as found on the RAChD titles.

It is hard to say if it is original to the beret Jack, in fact I'm not sure the beret was issued at all. It is virtually mint with no signs of wear, the only indication that it was issued and worn is that the rayon ribbon is sewn onto the beret.

Yes they seem to have been disbanded/renamed early 1944 but if memory serves me well some men were still attached to 1st airborne division HQ at the time of Market Garden. I will look into this, and thanks for the tip of the Inns of Court Museum. I will contact them

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Hiya Luc,

Nice beret mate and a very good price . I believe Jack and Luc are correct regarding the timeline of this unit. Some were attatched to the HQ company and were up at Oosterbeek I believe. Garth would be the man for this one. We spoke about this subject some time ago and he was quite adamant that the shoulder title was not in use by this period, as for ther cap badge I am unsure. Perhaps If he sees this he will comment.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Hi Guy,
            The price was modest indeed.

I have contacted the museum, I'll keep you posted!

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Luc,
              Here's a nice photo showing the beret.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Scott, that must be the best known picture of a Rough Riders beret! Thanks for reminding me of it.

Sergeant, would "Imperial Purple" be the same colour as their shoulder titles?

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Hi Luc,

Yes. I was talking to a friend of mine today about the Riders, rather incidentally. It's been a topic of discussion with us for a number of years. He is also of the firm belief that it backing is the same as that on the titles, what I class as to be "Imperial Purple". Trying to find a small piece of material of the right colour is a nightmare He was actually searching central London today for two small pieces so we can back our own cap badges properly, but with no luck.

The picture that Scott posted is the best (and only one I believe - anyone know of another??) of the Rider titles and cap badge being worn. Shows excellently the backing of the badge to be a small, rectangular like, piece of material. My friend also mentioned he believes they stopped wearing the Rider badge about February 1944 changing to an Artillery cap badge.

Whilst this thread is open on the Riders, does anyone know what the backing of the officers pips would be? As an ex-calvary unit they may have stuck with yellow - but as an Artillery unit would they have had red?

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
                  Hi Scott, that must be the best known picture of a Rough Riders beret! Thanks for reminding me of it.

Sergeant, would "Imperial Purple" be the same colour as their shoulder titles?

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Hi Luc,

The 1st Airlanding L A A Battery R A was disbanded in February 1944 and as a unit really didn't see much action whilst on the orbat of 1st Airborne Division. It served in North Africa.

Many of the men on disbandment joined the Special Air Service for the forth coming invasion.

2nd Airlanding L A A Battery RA which was on the orbat of 6th Airborne Divison provided anti-aircraft guns for the 1st British Airborne Corps which was based at Nijmagen and Grave as part of the AFDAG.

The CO of the unit was the Major The Earl Hardwicke. One known Rough Rider to serve at Arnhem was Captain Chatfield-Roberts who was located with General Urquhart.

I reckon the beret is a put together still very nice.

Hello Guy i hope you are well give you a ring soon.

Cheers Garth

Comment

Gentlemen, thanks for the further info, much appreciated.

Sergeant: I'll have a look around for a piece of Imperial Blue felt.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Can anyone show what a paratrooper metal wings would like like on these berets? I have maroon beret with paratrooper droop wings with 2 lugs for attachment. Thanks, Bill

Comment

There are several good threads on para berets and badges, here's one to start but do a search and you should find more

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=440896

Also please show a pic of yours, you'll soon get a good evaluation
                          Lee

Comment

My RR beret
                            Attached Files

Comment

Luc,

Can you re-post the pictures?.... I'd like to see your beret.

Thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X