1940 dated Aussie combat-worn tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1940 dated Aussie combat-worn tunic

here's another one I recently picked up. I normally don't collect tunics on their own however this one was too good to pass up. It's 1940 dated, the rank is for a Warrant Officer class 2, it's a large size, it has an africa medal riband, has three overseas chevrons, anti-aircraft regiment patches and is definitely an example of a combat veteran. I also have two anti-aircraft unit hats that go with it so it will make a good display one day.

It's named to VX40847 WO2 P.A Jenkins who ended the war in a tank attack regiment and when you hold it you can tell it has seem some major action in Africa. They just don't get any better than this salty example. I hope you all like it.

- Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chippler; 01-02-2008, 12:45 AM.

Very nice Chris

Comment

thanks for the reply, Mark

- Chris

Comment

Are the original stitch marks from rank insignia present on the arms?

Doubtful that this man was a W0.2 from 1940 to 1944.

Comment

Very nice early war tunic Chris. I had an unissued one 1940 dated once that was brown like this one. I think some of these early tunics were made from surplus left over ww1 material?. Just an observation on this tunic, if this bloke served in North Africa and got through the war, wouldn't he have more than a 3 year service stripe?.
          The officers uniform is a very nice one too.
          Regards Bruce

Comment

yellow, do you have something against me? everytime I post something you always have a smart-arsed comment. This tunic has laid untouched in a collection for 10 or so years and was bought when no-one was interested in Aussie militaria. This is guaranteed original. Back then, it would have cost more money to make up the tunic than the price it sold for.

I have a full uniform named to a guy who started as a lieutenant in 1940 and finished as a lieutenant in 1946. He never changed rank. I have a full uniform to a guy who stayed a crafstman (AEME rank of a private) from 1943-1945. I have a full uniform to a guy who stayed a private from 1943 to 1946. Not everyone was promoted during the war.

It's entirely possible Jenkins managed to get to WO2 when the war broke out and never wished to be commissioned.

This is just sour grapes because I pointed out your "WW2 South African made Australian "Digger hat"" was a piece of crap. Everyone knew it, you knew it and as soon as we realised you took the pictures down. Don't try and suggest my stuff is fake because it sure as hell isn't.

Bruce: maybe he just served in Africa and stayed the rest of his time in Australia? It's quite common to see tunics to infantry blokes with three chevrons (Remember the fighting in Africa went for two years (1940-1942.) Not everyone spent five years overseas... The 2/12th uniform is genuine and only has three chevrons... perhaps that's a fake too hey?!

Why the hell does everyone question my items? Whenever you post something, Bruce, I always say "yes, nice one" etc but whenever I post something you always have something to say about doubting its authenticity. Maybe I should just stop posting here because the time taken to post something up isn't worth it when I get stupid replies always questioning my items.

- Chris
            Last edited by chippler; 01-02-2008, 06:12 AM.

Comment

The service records will explain the badges and rank.

For service from 1940 - 1943 we see three years worth of service stripes. So in 1944 he must of been issued with another tunic. So in 1943 he must of been holding the rank of WO.2

If this were my own tunic I would really like to know when this man joined the 2/3 Anti Tank Regiment.

Thank you for your explanation Chris most helpful.

Comment

Just checked out his service summery and he was discharged in May 44, so the 3 year service stripes would be just about right.

Comment

thanks for the replies, guys. People were always changing regiments at the end of WW2. I have a uniform to a bloke who was in the pioneer btn. and at the end of the war he tried his luck in the infantry however I own his pioneer uniform. Maybe this was Jenkins' aa uniform for the duration of the war and he joined the tank attack regiment at the end of the war and was given a new uniform, which I don't own? Maybe he was put in the tank attack regiment at the end of the war purely as a holding unit until he could be discharged? Perhaps he was an instructor in the unit, after all, anti-aircraft units attack moving targets and use maths the same as the anti-tank gunners would use.

Perhaps he was attached to the tank attack regiment still a member of his aa unit and was never issued mini patches? Perhaps he couldn't be arsed putting new patches on his old tunic as he was soon going to be discharged? Perhaps he couldn't get mini patches because of the shortage of them during the war? Perhaps he didn't want to change his patches as he spent the whole time in the anti-aircraft unit and still felt allegiance to that unit? Who the hell knows what happened or what he was thinking.

- Chris

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                    Are the original stitch marks from rank insignia present on the arms?

Doubtful that this man was a W0.2 from 1940 to 1944.
                    I have the tunics of guys who were Privates from 1939-1945 and 1942-1945 respectively so don't see a problem with this guy being a WO2. More than likely quickly promoted in the early years of the war and medically discharged as a WO2.

Mark

Comment

Please forgive me if Digger History is wrong, but the badge I am seeing on this tunic is badge 590.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-.../armd.htm#arty

Yet the badge of 2/3 Anti Tank Regiment is 588 according to the Digger.

There really is no room for speculation here, service papers are needed.

As for incorrectly badged soldiers I am sure that in the British Army that unless the man was attached from another regiment that soldier would of been put on a charge. W0.2 is not the highest ranking Warrant Officer in the regiment.

As a collector and medal researcher it is indeed not unsual for a man to recieve no promotions. Many men prefered to remain in the ranks I think you`ll find that they arent usually Warrant Officers unless they are pen pushers or instructors. In the case of this man there still is room for promotion to W0.1. It is also unusual for a soldier to transfer from one unit to another with out a promotion. But as I said earlier we need to see service papers as speculation is futile.

I realise that there are collectors out there who do not research the militaria in their collections, I just find it hard to believe that the previous owner never looked into it and sold the service papers with the uniform.
                      Last edited by yellow; 01-02-2008, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Not quite the badge listed at 590 but 604, he was actually a member of a brigade which was dispersed throughout other units upon returning to Australia. This guy must have ended up with the 2/3rd prior to discharge. Unit's listed in the Honour Roll are only those of the unit the soldier was a member of at discharge, not necessarily who they served with.

Agreed that we could speculate all day about this one and without service records we just wont' know.
                        Hope everyone enjoyed the New Year.

Mark

Comment

Nice tunic Chris

I have a question. How much do unbadged Aussie BD Blouses sell for these days?

Comment

I've just had a bit of a look at other material which I have on the Siege of Tobruk and the patch on this tunic was also used by 3 Lt AA Regt. This unit never received a 'T' patch upon return to Australia and would have been the unit which was dispersed to other units.
                            Just an interesting bit of added info.

Take care

Mark

Des,
                            to answer your question, they can sell for up to $200 amazingly enough (depending on the date of course). 1942 and later seem to sell for much less from the few that I've seen lately. I'm actually talking about just the tunics here, do you mean the BD blouses in the '37 or '40 pattern as used by your Countrymen?

Comment

Mark sorry I dont understand. From what you are suggesting I assume that men were sent to the regiment for the sole purpose of discharge? Can you present proof this was the case with this man?

Any idea as to what the 2/3 Anti-Tank were doing on the date of discharge? I think they were in training as that would be the suggestion from the photos held by the War Memorial.
                              Last edited by yellow; 01-02-2008, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X