No announcement yet.

1940 dated Aussie combat-worn tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course I can't, don't be ridiculous. As I said, without his actual service records all we can do is speculate. One thing which I can say for sure is that the unit shown on the Honour Roll is not necessarily the unit which a soldier served most of his time with but purely the one which he was attached to at discharge.

Have a nice day

Mark

P.S. I nearly broke my ankle getting the extra colour patch info out of the top of a cupboard so just be glad that I actually made it back to the computer.

Comment

Which units formed the 21st Brigade in 1944?

Comment

Whilst I can't speak for this individual, all British/Commonwealth forces did indeed make use of Battalions as holding units for men that were waiting to be discharged, often Battalions that were due to be inactivated at some point anyway as the structure was there to admnister them, they wern't the problem of an active service Battalion any more and it kept thm busy until their time was up. So it's quite feesible he could have been posted to one or even a number of holdng units depending on when and why he was being discharged. It a also worked the other way with Battalions acting as holding units/pools for replacment troops fresh from training whilst they wait to join a active service unit.

It's a very nice looking uniform btw.

Comment

Originally posted by chippler View Post
          yellow, do you have something against me? everytime I post something you always have a smart-arsed comment. This tunic has laid untouched in a collection for 10 or so years and was bought when no-one was interested in Aussie militaria. This is guaranteed original. Back then, it would have cost more money to make up the tunic than the price it sold for.

I have a full uniform named to a guy who started as a lieutenant in 1940 and finished as a lieutenant in 1946. He never changed rank. I have a full uniform to a guy who stayed a crafstman (AEME rank of a private) from 1943-1945. I have a full uniform to a guy who stayed a private from 1943 to 1946. Not everyone was promoted during the war.

It's entirely possible Jenkins managed to get to WO2 when the war broke out and never wished to be commissioned.

This is just sour grapes because I pointed out your "WW2 South African made Australian "Digger hat"" was a piece of crap. Everyone knew it, you knew it and as soon as we realised you took the pictures down. Don't try and suggest my stuff is fake because it sure as hell isn't.

Bruce: maybe he just served in Africa and stayed the rest of his time in Australia? It's quite common to see tunics to infantry blokes with three chevrons (Remember the fighting in Africa went for two years (1940-1942.) Not everyone spent five years overseas... The 2/12th uniform is genuine and only has three chevrons... perhaps that's a fake too hey?!

Why the hell does everyone question my items? Whenever you post something, Bruce, I always say "yes, nice one" etc but whenever I post something you always have something to say about doubting its authenticity. Maybe I should just stop posting here because the time taken to post something up isn't worth it when I get stupid replies always questioning my items.

- Chris
          Chris
          The fact is that I don't ALWAYS have something negative to say about your stuff. But if I see something I don't think is right I will say it. I'm not going to automatically say, is't that nice, just so I don't upset someone. Whenever I post something I welcome any comments, one way or the other. In this case, through Yellow's constructive observation, we have discovered that it is quite feasable that this tunic is OK. I think you are confusing constructive observation as personal attacks against you, and I take offence at you attacking me personally and calling me stupid, when I have always tried to help you out. If you remember the last item I made comment on, my observations turned out to be correct. I think it best if from now on I refrain from making any comment on any of your posts and I trust you would do the same for me.
          Bruce

Comment

thanks for the replies, guys. I really appreciate the comments backing my tunic up and praising it. As I mentioned before; this tunic was bought 10 or so years ago when no-one was interested in Aussie militaria. I know the seller very well and he told me it has just sat in a box for 10 years as he didn't have the room to display it. He realised that it was a shame he couldn't display them so he sold off his whole uniform collection (including the 2/12th officers uniform in the other thread)

He is against making up uniforms and refuses to buy off people who do. I am of the same belief. If I believe it is made up I will refuse to buy it and if it is in my collection I immediately organise to return it (I have done so in the past.)

The fact is; this tunic is genuine. We can argue until we're blue in the face but there is no need to. I guarantee if you guys' held this tunic in your hands you wouldn't call it a fake. The sewing is right, the badges are originally applied and have been there since day dot.

Shadwell1944 is correct in saying men were put into holding units, as I had previously mentioned. There are many instances of battalions breaking up but the army wasn't willing to let them go just yet so they were put into holding units until they were sure they weren't needed anymore. Sometimes, as Mark mentioned, this holding unit is listed on the nominal roll as their unit and one could be forgiven for thinking that they served in this holding unit for the whole war.

The tank attack regiment most likely just stayed in Australia on training exercises and so chances are Jenkins was teaching there or just there waiting to be discharged.

Bruce, I sent you a PM regarding my comments. Apologies for flying off the handle, guys, however I just get sick of having to defend my items.

- Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chippler View Post
              this tunic was bought 10 or so years ago when no-one was interested in Aussie militaria.
              - Chris
              I'm sorry but this just isn't right at all. WW2 Australian militaria has been just as sought after as any other Nations (except of course German). There are many incredible collections of Australian Militaria which have been built up from the 50's till now and collectors who you don't and probably will never know. The only difference from 10 years ago is the increase in prices from the age of the internet.

Mark

Comment

nice tunic mate, would be agoodie for research etc

-Ric

Comment

10 years ago there weren't as many WW2 Aussie militaria collectors as there are nowadays. Plus as you said the price has gone up. The interest has definitely grown over the years and maybe I was exaggerating when I said no-one was interested in this stuff 10 years ago...

Thanks for the reply, Kiwi Ric, I am definitely going to request his service record to see where this tunic has been.

- Chris

Comment

I've known a very large number of collectors of Australian Militaria in the 20 years that I've been collecting. Probably just as many as the German Militaria collectors who I've know, and that's quite a few.
                    Back to the topic of the thread, very nice tunic and the 1940 date is extremely desirable.

Mark

Comment

I requested his service record and it says he was 6'1" tall... he must have been a giant back in the day! He also ended up with arthritis, which resulted in him being discharged in 1944. He spent some time in Stonnington Convalescent home and unfortunately; he passed away from a heart attack in 1974. A truly brave digger who earned the 1939-45 star, africa star, pacific star, defence medal, war medal and Australia service medal.

There seems to be no mention of a tank attack regiment in his service record so the listing on the nominal roll may be an error.

- Chris

Comment

Chris,

Beautiful tunic! I agree with you on the Aussie stuff. Here in the states 10 years ago you couldn't give it away. Now though the interest is rising. Fortunately I got my stuff early! Would you mind showing a closeup of the sleeve? I allways he like the setup on those.

Cheers
                        Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X