No announcement yet.

Which unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RMAS Band? The cap badge in the first photo is the right shape though maybe a tad small...

Comment

I would guess that the photo of the Yorkshire Bde band taken after 1958 when the West and East Yorks etc had all become part of a Yorkshire Bde. The badge is a Yorkshire Rose surmonted by a crown and is similiar in outline to the ACC (which the photo is not). The band pennants clearly show the White Horse of the West Yorks.

The Yorkshire Vols TA continued to wear this badge into the 1970s so that was not a bad suggestion by the way.

Alan

Comment

I agree. It's the old Yorkshire Brigade badge. This survived until the early '90s in the TA's York Vols.

Comment

cheers chaps , but you are saying its def the west yorks ?

slim

Comment

this badge is a very close match to his cap badge ??

slim
            Attached Files

Comment

one more picture i have framed

slim
              Attached Files

Comment

his wife got awarded the mbe on the 13th june 1959. thanks to a member i downloaded the 2 page citation for the awarding of the mbe :-) !!! now if we could get something on my great uncle lionel hornby !

slim
                Attached Files
                Last edited by SLIM; 06-20-2009, 05:29 AM.

Comment

i posted an other picture below , is this one any help on the idenity of his regt ??

slim

Comment

anybody folks ?

Comment

Can you take another photo of the MBE document? It appears to designate his regiment, or corps, but the light from the window obscures it. Whatever unit it was, it appears that HRH the Princess Royal was Colonel, or Colonel in Chief; that's herself in the photo.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Gsm

The other 2 bars on the GSM are RADFAN and ARABIAN PENINSULA. The other picture (#10) looks like Welsh Guards to me based on the shield and three feathered crown.
                        Regards,
                        Paul

Comment

Robert,
                          I missed your post about the East Yorkshire Regiment. I'm sure that's correct. Not the Guards.
                          Thanks,
                          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul kennedy View Post
                            The other 2 bars on the GSM are RADFAN and ARABIAN PENINSULA. The other picture (#10) looks like Welsh Guards to me based on the shield and three feathered crown.
                            Regards,
                            Paul
                            Welsh Guards badge is the leek, not the Prince of Wales feathers.

Comment

hi bob and paul ;

the mbe cert belonged to his wife ! the east yorks seems the best bet going by your previous posts guys so can you guys point me in the direction of whatever books etc etc i should be looking for regarding the east yorks ?

thanks for your replies

slim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X