Which unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which unit?

Hi Guys, I am posting this photo for forum member Slim (Lionel). Any ideas of what unit the chap in the photo is from?

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files

close up
    Attached Files

Comment

Army Catering Corps?

Comment

yes i agree

Comment

Yorkshire Volunteers ( TA ) ?

Comment

First of all THANKS Ade for posting this pic of my great uncle as when i scaned it i could not attatch it in a post for some reason ...These are his mini WW2 medals , do these give anything away ??
            #

slim
            Attached Files

Comment

I don't believe it is the Army Catering Corps; their cap has a light grey band and piping, which the cap in the photo does not. I have one in my collection. The drum major's baldric appears to be pale color, such as light grey, or yellow, or buff. It's too diificult to determine from the photo what the badge is. It's post 1953 of course, given the EIIR cypher on the baldric.
              The medals illustrate of course WWII service in Burma, and post war in Malaya, along with 2 other clasps I can't read on the GSM. Also a regular army LSGC medal. This is a tough one to confirm the corps or regiment. Nice medal group

Bob Shoaf

Comment

I do not think it is TA as he does not have the Territorial medal in his group (Not that this means he wasn't in TA)....

Comment

The only badge that seems to fit 4thQueen's own Hussars but not a fit with his GSMedal the Hussars served and qualified for the Malaya clasp but not Near East or Arabian Peninsular maybe he switched regiments sometime after qualifying in 1957 and befor amalgamation in 1958.

John

Comment

Here is another pic from Lionel.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Close up on the banner
                      Attached Files

Comment

wedding
                        Attached Files

Comment

I would love to have better close-up photos, but based upon the band banners, my best guess is the East Yorkshire Regiment, or the amalgamated Prince of Wale's own Regiment of Yorkshire, soon after the East & West Yorks were joined in 1958. The amalgamated regt. badge was the white horse of Hannover, but the East Yorks was an 8 pointed star, similiar to the badge illustrated. Other badges common to both were the Prince of Wales' feathers, and the white horse of Hannover, both seen on the banner.
                          The West Yorks saw much service in Burma during WWII, and their principal regimental day was Imphal day, 22 June. The East Yorks as well served in the Burma campaign. Also, the West Yorks facing colour was buff, which could be the pale colour we see on the uniform and baldric in the first photos.
                          I thought it also could be the Cheshire Regiment, as their badge was also very similiar, but none of their battalions seem to have served in the Burma campaign, for the regiment lists no battle honours for that theatre. Our subject of course was awarded the Burma Star.
                          I believe strongly that it was an infantry regiment, not cavalry, as the tunic would reflect a cavalry regiment. Also the 4th Hussars wore a bright scarlet forage cap, and the cap illustrated appears dark blue.

Comment

Robert,I agree he looks most likely infantry(Iwas just going on the shape of his cap badge)could the West York's band have its own cap badge as they qualified for the Near East Clasp to the GSM and the Malaya Clasp the Yorks & Lancs did not.The band banners certainly indicate Prince of Wale's Own Regiment of Yorkshire and the Cap badges appear to be the same.

John

Comment

Quite superb gentlemen , you clearly know your stuff
                              My great uncle and his wife lived in Kings Lynn and had no family and when my great uncle died his wife kept all his war stuff as she served in the army as well and was attached to it ! she subsequently died and when my mum and dad went over to arrange everything they had found a lot of things were missing around the house like missing pictures on walls and empty display cabinets etc BUT my great uncles mini medals and his wifes MBE were there which was strange PLEASE CAN ANYBODY WHO READS THIS KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR MY GREAT UNCLES FULL SIZE MEDALS WHEN THEY ARE SEARCHING FOR OTHER BRITISH MEDALS FOR THERE COLLECTIONS . MY GREAT UNCLES NAME IS LIONEL HORNBY . and you guessed it as i was named after my great uncle Lionel ......

slim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X