CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to Toronto for the Weekend and all I got was...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Nick,

Point that member towards this thread and request a refund.

Originally posted by NickG View Post
    ...and besides that, these were purchased on this forum from a UK forum member (on E-stand in the regular section...not bazaar/repro section)...so I took that as a certificate of authenticity....

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Des and Luc. Unfortunately I have no idea who the (UK)seller was...Oh well..its been a while back already and i cleaned up my history in the PM section... Thanks again for your input and sharing that killer Polish-UK greatcoat! Nick

Comment

Great coats & Lanyards

Throughout the war you were only to wear rank and the CANADA titles on Great Coats. However at the end of the war many units were permitted to wear shoulder titles and formation badges. This was not done against regulations. So if you have a badged greatcoat from the Canadian Army, no problems, however the badging is likely post April/May 1945 vintage.

BTW Des, just in case you are not aware, and the only reason I mention this is because I think we still have no reference work for lanyards, is that the blue and red lanyard you have is Scot's Fusliers of Canada. I have one from the brother of a FSSF veteran who was KIA. I have his Glengarry and lanyard that he wore to Montana. Anyway just in case you were not aware.

Originally posted by GregK View Post
        Hi Nick,

Thanks for the kind words with regards to the greatcoat. It's a beauty indeed.

With regards to the regulations you are correct. Brit/Canadian regs prevented anything but rank and service insignia but I havepersonally seen cases (with Canadian at least) where shoulder titles were worn. As with every rule there is always someone who "bends" them. The Poles on the other hand are a whole other story. As far as I know they were permitted to wear insignia on greatcoats. I have rarely seen any without the whole shootin' match of insignia on them. Add to that masses of photos that I have and have seen of them being used with full insignia.

Hope that answers your question. If you'd like I can try to take photos of the greatcoat on a dummy.

Cheers,
        Greg

Comment

Hi Ken,

Thanks but those 2 lanyards came as part of a RCE officer group. I thought they were RCE colours?

Originally posted by force136 View Post

BTW Des, just in case you are not aware, and the only reason I mention this is because I think we still have no reference work for lanyards, is that the blue and red lanyard you have is Scot's Fusliers of Canada. I have one from the brother of a FSSF veteran who was KIA. I have his Glengarry and lanyard that he wore to Montana. Anyway just in case you were not aware.

Comment

Lanyard

Hi Des

You might be right. At a closer look it appears as though there is no red interwoven into the center of the blue. The Scot's lanyard has the red interwoven into the middle of the blue. The red is also a medium red and not a light red colour. If it has the red in the centre of the blue, then its Scots. Many people make the mistake of assuming that the colour of the lanyard is the same as the colours for the shoulder title. This is not always so. For one, there are numerous shoulder titles with practically the same colours in them, ie. RCE, Black Watch, Lincoln and Welland, Service Corps and many others that used almost identical blue and red colour. Anyway if it has a solid blue part then you are probably right. If there is red in it, it is Scots.

Ken

Originally posted by Des Thomas View Post
            Hi Ken,

Thanks but those 2 lanyards came as part of a RCE officer group. I thought they were RCE colours?

Comment

Not the best photos but I think you can see the details of both lanyards better here.
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X