AlsacDirect

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to Toronto for the Weekend and all I got was...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Toronto for the Weekend and all I got was...

some dusty military junk!

Hi all,

Headed to Toronto this past weekend to visit forum member Des Thomas. We hit all the junk shops, 2nd hand clothing stores, and antique shops that we could find. Not to mention the Toronto Military Show in Etobicoke. We both did pretty well purchasewise (as you can see on my end). With a few bucks and some crafty trading I made out okay.

Aside from all the militaria hunting we headed to Hamilton, ON and visited the HMCS Haida. She's a WWII era Tribal Class Destroyer (last of her kind) that has been turned into a floating museum. I fully expected it to be a dry guided tour but was pleasently surprised when we were handed a pamphlet and turned loose to explore every inch of this ship. It was amazing!!! If anyone is ever there I strongly recommend going to se her as she's one of a kind. Will post pictures of the ship as time permits.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Attached Files

It was definitely a good militaria weekend. I'll try and post a photo of my 'haul' in the coming days. What Greg didn't mention in his post was that he actually got more stuff. I have to go and pick up some other Polish bits he left a deposit on

Comment

Well done Greg!

Time and again, you da man to scoop da deals!!

One item that eluded you guys was a Polish 1st Armoured Regiment badge that a friend who took in the Etobicoke show picked up for $35.

Makes me a tad green with envy over here on the barren west coast...

Cheers,
      Tony

Comment

Those are some good additions m8s

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was a great time overall and the militaria was just the icing on the cake. I was actually a little worried at the show itself as when we got there (for dealer setup) there was very little Polish militaria to be had but little by little it started to creep onto the dealers' tables.

Tony,

Hmmmm....1st Armoured for $35.00 eh? Don't know how that one got by me . Congratulate your friend on a nice find! Actually theres still more down the pike as Des mentioned. A nice patch/badge grouping to the 5 KDP and maybe a surprise or two yet. I'll update as they come along.

Cheers,
          Greg
          Last edited by GregK; 06-27-2007, 01:09 PM.

Comment

My haul for the past weekend and the week or two before. Mostly Canadian/British WW2 items but a few bits from WW1 and before.
            Attached Files

Comment

Toronto used to be a good place to find things, but the demographics are changing..plus, there are a bunch of us who hoover up whatever it is that they collect, because it is our back yard!

I collect mainly German, but i had a beautiful polish lance pennant and para beret at my tables...

I used to even live in the polish part of town (Roncesvalles) but that area has been really dry...

Comment

Des, are those gas detection armlets original?

Comment

Nice haul you got there guys

The anti gas armbands look fine to me. I have several myself.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Kenwright View Post

I used to even live in the polish part of town (Roncesvalles) but that area has been really dry...

Hey...that's where i live.....

Comment

Yes they are

Originally posted by Infanteer View Post
                      Des, are those gas detection armlets original?

Comment

Hi Doug,

I was also told it was better years ago in Canada but in fairness that applys to everywhere. Items are still out there to be found but it is certainly harder. I found some German items also but as this is the British and Commonwealth forum I didn't bother posting them. Did you have the lance pennant and para beret at Etobicoke? The majority of my items were not obtained at the show by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Des Thomas View Post
                          Yes they are
                          Wow! You don't find those very often. I have one that has been folded and is a bit dry. It took me 16 years to find that one... considering that you have three I can only assume that you got them at a good price. Well done.

Comment

Wow, You two were holding out on me. As Des Knows, I scored 2 WWII dated Irish Regt of Canada kilts and 2 day sporrans for the Regt. I also picked up a few other little bits and pieces I needed for my badge and insignia collection.

Des, man next time you see me by all means interupt me.

Comment

As far as i can see you two had one great weekend.
                              Great stuff you found there.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X