WW2Treasures

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to Toronto for the Weekend and all I got was...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That what i call a GREAT haul excelent findings m8s

Comment

great coat insignia regulations question

I noticed that the British great coat (great score!!!) has Free Polish insignia on it. QUESTION: what are the regs in regards to insignia on great coats (overcoats)? The Brits were only allowed rank and service strips, correct? Was this adhered to? No division patches allowed? Same for the Canadians?
      I have seen Canadian great coats with formation patches (Div.patches) in addition to rank and service patches. What's the general rule on Commonwealth great coats?
      Obviously the Poles allowed it based on the picture that started this thread!
      Thanks
      Nick

Comment

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the kind words with regards to the greatcoat. It's a beauty indeed.

With regards to the regulations you are correct. Brit/Canadian regs prevented anything but rank and service insignia but I havepersonally seen cases (with Canadian at least) where shoulder titles were worn. As with every rule there is always someone who "bends" them. The Poles on the other hand are a whole other story. As far as I know they were permitted to wear insignia on greatcoats. I have rarely seen any without the whole shootin' match of insignia on them. Add to that masses of photos that I have and have seen of them being used with full insignia.

Hope that answers your question. If you'd like I can try to take photos of the greatcoat on a dummy.

Cheers,
        Greg

Comment

That would be awesome to see on a dummy. Thanks for clarifying the regs on great coats!
          Here's the only Polish stuff I own... Nick
          Attached Files

Comment

Greg
            So this is an OK set up?
            Click on WAF link and click on Ebay auction link
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=219157

Comment

Hi Nick,

A couple of comments. Firstly the greatcoat that you link, in my opinion, is badged post-war. Whether it was done shortly post-war by the vet himself or more recently (my guess from the photos) I couldn't say without better photos. The combination of poor stitching (not always a bad sign) and the lack of appropriate wear around the insignia leads me to these conclusions.

Secondly (and I don't know how to put this lightly) but I have a strong feeling that most of the Polish insignia that you posted is quite modern. The POLAND title is unlike any in construction that I have seen. The 2nd Corps shields are also not up to snuff. The 1st Corps is for sure bogus and looks like it may have been recently made in Pakistan. The 8th Army shields are okay but I have not heard of anyone faking these yet as they were produced by the tonne.

Now that the unpleasentness is over I would like to post photos of the greatcoat on a dummy. It is a tad wrinkled but will straighten out so I apologise for it's "messy" appearance. Please ignore the Rogatywka as it is a prop from the Warner Bros. costume dept. and was used in a film in the 40's. It's in overall excellent shape with only one moth nip to the back and slight rubbing to the bullion shield. The interior retains it's tag and the shoulders have been padded in typical Polish fashion. Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,
              Greg
              Attached Files

Comment

Left Side.
                Attached Files

Comment

Left Side Details.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Right Side.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Right Side Details.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Des,

What kind of fighting knife is in your picture? Any chance of an un-sheathed shot?

Cheers

Comment

Hi Tim,

No markings as far as I can see. It looks like a fighting knife of some sort. I need to positively identify it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Des,

It looks like it's maybe a one-off piece(?). It's not an easily recognizable cut down bayonet blade like you often see. If you find out anything about it please post the results, I'd be curious to know.

Cheers

Comment

Secondly (and I don't know how to put this lightly) but I have a strong feeling that most of the Polish insignia that you posted is quite modern. The POLAND title is unlike any in construction that I have seen. The 2nd Corps shields are also not up to snuff. The 1st Corps is for sure bogus and looks like it may have been recently made in Pakistan. The 8th Army shields are okay but I have not heard of anyone faking these yet as they were produced by the tonne.

==========================================
                              Hi Greg
                              WOW! That Polish mannequin is outstanding. I am jealous!
                              Regarding your comments on my (questionable) framed Polish cloth collection, I guess that I am obviously not really up to speed on these to be able to distinguish the good from the Pakistani (the bad)... but because most insignia appeared to be cut off from actual uniforms, I thought that these would be OK... for the most part...but I guess not...and besides that, these were purchased on this forum from a UK forum member (on E-stand in the regular section...not bazaar/repro section)...so I took that as a certificate of authenticity....
                              One of the two 8th Army shields was a seperate buy and the 1st Corps (Polish and UK flag) patch came from Manion's... so I knew that I took a risk on that one, but I liked the design a lot and the fact that it was mounted of background cloth! but I guess that prooves nothing... oh well... Anyway thanks for sharing your knowledge and showing your Polish mannequin! Because the insignia is bullion I assume that this was his "best dress" greatcoat (as opposed to a combat coat). Nick
                              Last edited by NickG; 07-10-2007, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                                because most insignia appeared to be cut off from actual uniforms, I thought that these would be OK
                                Nick, when you see badges on a piece of serge: be very carefull! Insignia can often be judged from how their back looks, and slapping on a piece of cloth is an easy trick for passing on the Pakistani fakes.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X