No announcement yet.

1942 Pattern Assault Jerkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mark, I suspect the basic problem is that how many of us have actually handled a "real one"? Speaking for myself I have only handled the one tan training marked example.

As the other guys have said, those sold in Militaria magazine have killed a lot of confidence in these.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Mark,
      Unissuied WW2 manufactured items do turn up for sale in lbulk.
      I remember opening bundles of camouflage leather jerkins, all unissuied, and all packed in the 1950's. These were imported from England into Christchurch, NZ in the mid 1990s.
      I would like to see it. I have a couple of different patterns of the skeleton vest which we can compaire it to.
      Barry

Comment

Hi Barry, I totally agree with you about unissued items. I was also present a few years ago when a bale of camo jerkins was undone, but in the UK

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Sorry, Mark, I don't think we were trying to question the authenticity of your jerkin specifically, but the mention of it in the context of 'that' advert sent me off on a trip down memory lane as it were. If your jerkin came from Blunderbuss at any point then I'm afraid it could well be a repro., if it didn't then it could well be pukka, but equally could be a fake as the people making them 'officially' and as one-off's often do a near perfect job, especially when using vintage materials and when guaranteed orginals are so rarely available for comparison. I seem to recall that the certain supplier put in a 'deliberate mistake' or some sort, but many, many people were taken in, I probably would have been aswell if I'd had the spare money to buy one back then, probably the only time I've actually been glad that I was short of cash! I know at least 3 people making these now, and at least another half-dozen that have done them in the past as out and out fakes intended to deceive, reproductions for collectors or use in reenactment. If you can definately proove that your's is original then I see no reason why you shouldn't get £500+ for it. If it's repro. then your still looking at £200+ as it would be a very good repro., good size, good condition etc.

Certainly quantities of unissued items to still turn up, even German, British and Commonwealth, look at the lot of British paratroop knee-pads that turned up some years ago. But in the case of the Blunderbuss assault jerkins, they are known to have not all been what might have been thought/claimed or rather not claimed if you read the advert carefully (and without putting myself in line to get sued!).

Comment

Jonny,

I am not sure what you mean? There is no reference anywhere on that advert to suggest that what Jeremy was selling was reproduction. Was there a later advert produced that I some how missed?

I'm more than happy to post a scan of the 1994 advert if that would help.

My father used to have a lot of dealings wih him when he collected antique firearms, having also dealt with the man in question myself he doesnt strike me as the kind of dealer who would knowingly catch collectors out. It wouldnt be worth risking his entire client base built up from the 1950's for a few hundred pounds. If anyone is to blame its the person who sold them onto Jeremy for what he described in his advert.

Steve.
            Last edited by yellow; 04-24-2007, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Why ?

Is there a particular reason why so few of the original assault vests seemed to have survived ? ...

Gary J.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                Jonny,

I am not sure what you mean? There is no reference anywhere on that advert to suggest that what Jeremy was selling was reproduction. Was there a later advert produced that I some how missed?

I'm more than happy to post a scan of the 1994 advert if that would help.

My father used to have a lot of dealings wih him when he collected antique firearms, having also dealt with the man in question myself he doesnt strike me as the kind of dealer who would knowingly catch collectors out. It wouldnt be worth risking his entire client base built up from the 1950's for a few hundred pounds. If anyone is to blame its the person who sold them onto Jeremy for what he described in his advert.

Steve.
                But neither did the advert say that they were genuine WW2 manufacture, simply 'WW2 1942 pattern assault jerkin' and 'unissued', which techinically they were and would be even if I made one yesterday. I don't honestly know what was the intention of the seller at the time, I have dealt with 'Blunderbuss' myself and have always been happy with the transactions. Certainly from a legal point of view he'd have been fine, he didn't state they were 'original WW2 manufacture' etc (AFAIK nor did the well respected reenactor that made/supplied them), even if many people assumed that they were. But it's more relevant now to those wishing to sell them on having bought them as 'original', even if only because they assumed such. An original would I imagine be worth over ******163;500, a good reproduction ******163;200 ish. so it rather important to be honest about what people might have or fellow collectors may end up seriosuly out of pocket and reproductions will get accepted as original for reference purposes, which is never a good thing.

And I'd imagine that so few survived because they were limited manufacture originally, in practice found to be of limited utility so were unlikely to hang around in use large scale or post-war and canvas burns well.

Comment

Out of interest

Out of interest ..... just spotted this !!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GILET-DASSAUT-...QQcmdZViewItem

Gary J.

Comment

Just to add, if anyone would like specific pictures of any part of this vest, please feel free to ask?
                    Regards,
                    Mark.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X