SAS Officers Shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAS Officers Shirt

I would welcome opinions on this SAS Officers Shirt and if possible any ideas regarding the original owners identity. In the collar area there is an ink marking, perhaps a laundry mark, that says "ML (I?) 53" and lower in the neck area the initials "MY" that are sewn in red cotton. Under the SAS Wings is the ribbon for the Africa Star. Thanks, Clive.
    Attached Files

SAS Officers Shirt

Rank
    Attached Files

Comment

SAS Officers Shirt

Manufacture Tag
      Attached Files

Comment

SAS Officers Shirt

Possible Laundry or owners Marks in Neck Area.
        Attached Files

Comment

SAS Officers Shirt

Owners initials sew in in red cotton.
          Attached Files

Comment

SAS Officers Shirt

SAS Wings and Africa Star Ribbon.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello Clive,

From Regimentals circa 2004 I believe?

I didn't like and I still don't like the wings. They strike me as being artificially aged Pakistani made. Also, I wouldn't expect to see this "egyptian style" wing on a 1944 dated shirt, although it is not impossible.

Jack.

Comment

SAS Officers Shirt

Thanks for your comments Jack. You are right, I bought this at one of the Birmingham Arms Fairs. Strangely enough I really like the Wings and see nothing wrong with them. If they are fakes then they are superbly done and excellent quality, but I do not believe that they are. I am tempted to remove them and examine the backing, will have a think about this. Ah, the joy and peril of collecting! Regards, Clive.

Comment

Hello Clive,

I wouldn't remove them quite yet Let's see what the other have to say.

In all honesty, I have not had a hands on examination of this piece. I have only ever seen photos. I am probably wrong, well at least I hope I am! Crudeness in locally made badges can easily be mistaken for a piece being fake.

Jack.

Comment

I don`t know anything about the wings, but the shirt looks like to good to be true!
                    I`m almost sure the label is one from a stringvest. Look at the model of the label! It lookes like its been put there yesterday. In my opinion its a put together!

Jeroen

Comment

Agreed, those pips have the typical ragged edge pointing to multiple applications. The wing has all the attributes of the fakes Jack mentions, also, even for a theatre made piece, it is incredibly sloppy. The dimentions seem rather off too.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

SAS Shirt

Thank you for the comments so far. Regarding the manufacture label it looks good to me. If someone has a similar tan shirt a comparison would be useful. When something looks too good to be true it often is, but not always. Also most people look at an item to see what is wrong with it before they look for what is right. At the moment I still believe that is is a genuine piece, but await further observations. I have taken a better picture of the Wings in natural light, the previous image was taken with a flash. regards, Clive.
                        Attached Files

Comment

SAS Officers Shirt

Image of Wings taken in natural light.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Clive, the shirt is fine. One of the Dutch dealers had a s~~t load of these a few years ago. The badge however I maintain is a stinker and these photos actually strengthen that stance. Sorry but thats the way it is. Perhaps Des or one of the other SAS experts might chime in but I suspect they will feel the same.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

SAS Officers Shirt

Thank you Guy for your comments, you may well be right, hence the reason I posted it. Fortunately, or otherwise, SAS material is not my main area of interest however over time you pick the odd piece up. I am confident with some documentation I have and will post some more in the future. It would be helpful if someone could post images of the copy-reproduction pattern of Wing on this shirt. If it is a fake I still think it is very well made. I have a couple of SAS Berets and will post them as well soon and wait to be shot down by friendly fire! All the best, Clive.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X