No announcement yet.

Grandad was too old for WW2: St. John Ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandads, you've got to love 'em. Mine did 22yrs RN leaving on pension in 1926, took a pub in Aldershot, joined the Home Guard at the outbreak of WW2, called back to the RN and left it in 1945 aged 58.

His grateful country, (I've got the typewritten scrap of paper) took his livelihood,moved him and his family and then placed him on the post-war scrapheap. I've never been able to find out the worthy person that took Grandad's pub. Hopefully he was older or had less limbs.

He's been dead for over 30 years but I still love him.

I think the mystery badge is a cap badge, similar to today's badge.

Comment

Hi Jim, nice to hear from you.

I was close to my Grandad too.

I have done some research today on the items I have. The medal is actually a private purchase item and is covered by this article:

http://www.sja.org.uk/museum/downloa...nMedallion.pdf

I originally thought the unknown item was a cap badge too. But now I am not so sure? I have been kindly given a cap badge and a pair of collar dogs (Same basic design) by a friend. I have attached a pic.

This afternoon I got my Dad to apply for the Defence Medal which seems to be lacking. I will keep the forum posted on how we get on.

Cheers, Ade.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here are the collar dogs.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys.

We should do a thread dedicated to grandparents! My grandfather on my dads sinde was too young to participate in WW2 but his brother was a corporal in the Australian armoured corp, On my mothers side my grandfather served postwar in the british army of occupation.

Regarding the St John insignia, if you like post a photo of the reverse i can allmost certainly say its the plate from a belt buckle and definetly is not a cap badge. Ade if you would like any items let me know as i am a member of St John Ambulance Australia and at division we still find ALLOT of old brigade and association stuff when cleaning up the attic etc.

Heres the reverse on the buckle i posted earlier, is this what you meant by split pins?

Jason
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
            I am not quite sure of the use for this badge? It is about 2 inch across and is curved. I don't think it is a cap badge? Held on by a split pin fitting.

Worn on the upper right sleeve - also by suitably qualified police.

Comment

Thanks Leigh.

My Dad is going to find the photo/s of my Grandad in uniform. Hopefully it will show this badge in wear.

Hi Jason, it is a conventional cap badge type fixing. I will take a pic tomorrow.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Guys, I have been in contact with the St. John Ambulance in Nottinghamshire. Their website omits the Ruddington Division. However I have had a nice e mail back from them and they are going to correct the website. Plus I now have some futher info on my Grandad:

Hi Ade – I checked with our membership secretary – as you say, there was a Ruddington Division which either disbanded or merged with another division, we are not sure which, in 1959. Your Grandfather joined on the 30<SUP>th</SUP> April 1940, was appointed as a Sergeant (ARP) on the 21<SUP>st</SUP> of December 1940, and resigned in 1947. I will arrange for the division to be added to the website – there are many others missing I am sure!

If you have any anecdotes, photographs or memorabilia from his time with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">"on"St. John</st1:City> that you would like displayed on the history page, we would very much welcome them.
                <O</O
                Let me know!

Jane Ansell
                County Fundraiser/Public Relations Officer
                <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1St. John</st1:City> Ambulance <O
                <ST1<st1:PlaceType w:st="on">County</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Headquarters</st1:PlaceName>
                Nottinghamshire

I intend to share the photos used here for their website.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ade,

Hope you do not mind if i add Albert Hankinson's medal to your thread....

Attached Files
                  RonR

Comment

===
                    Attached Files
                    RonR

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X