No announcement yet.

Trousers, Parachutist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I congratulate a fellow forum member for winning these old baggy pants?

And here's yet another pair:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ww2-British-Ai...QQcmdZViewItem

Luc
    Last edited by lnijherald; 04-17-2008, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mousekilla View Post
      not to mention pictures of recce in arnhem with an extra standard bd trouser pocket on the side like a 1949 pattern trouser

there in much we will never know!
      mousekilla
      Do you have any further information about this as Squadron veterans haven't mentioned it, could you point me in the direction of the photo's you mention? I'd be extremely grateful.

Comment

much as I love the old buggers, veterans cannot always be trusted to give accurate info as it was a long long time ago (after all do you remember the ins and outs of the pocket style on the school trousers you wore 30 years ago?-you get my point!)
        look in john fairlys book remember arnhem and see the trooper leaning against the jeep and you will clearly see the map sticking out of his 49 pattern style pkt.
        btw I remember argueing with a parachute regt veteran who told me para trousers were not british ww2 cos he didnt wear a pair at arnhem !
        you gotta luv em eh!

Comment

Para Trousers with extra pockets

Not the pic mentioned before but here's one of Paras at Arnhem with modified trousers,
          Lee
          Attached Files

Comment

Several pic out there of modified trousers, close up of leg pocket, possibly removed from an over smock?
            Attached Files

Comment

Another pic of modified trousers, this time SAS in Italy, fig at left has a pocket added on the right side, middle fig appears to have one added at the right rear!
              Attached Files

Comment

much as I love the old buggers, veterans cannot always be trusted to give accurate info as it was a long long time ago (after all do you remember the ins and outs of the pocket style on the school trousers you wore 30 years ago?-you get my point!)
                look in john fairlys book remember arnhem and see the trooper leaning against the jeep and you will clearly see the map sticking out of his 49 pattern style pkt.
                btw I remember argueing with a parachute regt veteran who told me para trousers were not british ww2 cos he didnt wear a pair at arnhem !
                you gotta luv em eh!
                I appreciate what your saying, but I don't seem to have that picture in my copy of the Fairley book (2nd edition, 1990 if that makes a difference?), only pics I have in mine of Sqn. Jeeps with Crews are an A Troop Jeep with Troopers Taylor and Dickson then on the following page a D Troop Jeep with Sgt. Bentall, neither clearly show legs. Is there another pic. I'm missing?

Comment

I have the original print but I am sure they wouldnt have left out the picture.
                  its a couple of " A troop" and a dutch girl by a jeep on the 18 th sep
                  dont have book handy or I would give you the page

Comment

I have the original print but I am sure they wouldnt have left out the picture.
                    its a couple of " A troop" and a dutch girl by a jeep on the 18th sep
                    dont have book handy or I would give you the page
                    That is strange, there is indeed a photo of A Troop men taken on the 18th apparently on Backerstraat but it's the one I mentioned and the only two Recce. men, Troopers Taylor and Dickson I can see are standing behind their jeep so you can only see their top half, there's Dutch civilians on either side, maybe the original print show's more Recce. men and it's been cut down for the book?

There another Squadron photo I can think off which ahs been published in a few books. It's front on view of a jeep, driver (who also crops up in some U.K. Airfield film footage) is smiling at cameraman and taking off gloves, standing by the side of the vehicle, another man is leaning over he back of the vehicle and a man to the rear left is putting a cigarette in his mouth. I haven't got a very clear print of it, maybe that's the pic. as you can see the driver down to his knees? Otherwise it seems you have a photo of the Squadron at Arnhem that I haven't seen before, I'd very much appreciate it if you were able to post a scan or similar.

Comment

after some delay ,here are the fotos of recce wearing modified trousers at arnhem.
                      as you know there was a certain flexibilty within many airborne/elite units to customise kit .
                      I was told by a" long depated " para veteran that just prior to arnhem they went up to a yank base and were told they could take things that may be of use!
                      according to him the blokes mainly grabbed .45 browning semi auto pistols.
                      who knows what else ?

Last edited by mousekilla; 09-07-2008, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for posting the pants pictures .
                        In all my years of collecting military over 20 years I have owned plenty of Dennison smocks but I have never even known a fellow collector who has a pair of these trousers .
                        Sure I have seen the pair at the IWM but to hold a pair !!!!
                        That would be nice .
                        This is a great thread guys , keep up the good work .
                        all the best
                        Owen

Comment

A 1945 dated one

To share with all you, here my new find, a 1945 dated one!!!.

Regards
                          Ben

Comment

Very nice Ben!! Excellent to see another set around

Comment

what a find ,great pair

Comment

Great stuff Ben! Thank you for showing.

Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X