No announcement yet.

BSA Folding Paratroopers bicycle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Ade, I was wondering why Pauls bike is Grey. Of course it could be a post war repaint, but I was thinking along the lines of grey navy paint........Combined Ops?

I thought before he strips it it might be worth asking a veteran.

Steve.

Comment

I am 100% certain it will be a post war repaint. Early bikes were service brown, later ones were green.

Last year a friend sold a nice original early twin down tube frame example to another friend for £1000.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ah ok so a litle scratch should reveal the orginal paint underneath which will be the brown or green?

Not British, but German WW1........removing paint is something that Ive seen a few dealers do only to live in regret when they realise that Green shiny gloss paint was in fact the original finish to that ersatz bayo or pair of binos.

Comment

Hi Steve, the bikes all started life with a stove enameled black finish, typical of any bike of the era. Over this went the camo brown or green. This paint is very hard and durable. A test using a very quick wipe of paint stripper will certainly tell if the paint is period.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

BSA folding bike

Hi Ade
            I have in various condition 8/9 BSA folding bikes (4 complete,4 or 5 frames and spares), none of them have black stove enameled finish, from my experience the only things that were black first, were the handle bars and the front wheels (these were then oversprayed green), also the saddle stem which attaches the seat to the frame, was gloss black and was not painted green.
            The rear wheels were primed in red primer then green and the frame, forks etc painted green straight onto bare metal.
            I have attached photos (sorry about the debris around the bike) of my unrestored twin tube bike (frame no1344) showing wooden home made pedals which came on the bike when I bought it, possibly original wartime but I'm uncertain. There are still traces of green paint, handles bars green over black, seat stem just black, the wheels are from another bike.
            I have mid and late production bikes (frame no70,000+) which are in original unrestored condition and they also has the various paint details to those described above.
            I'd be interested to see the packing crate for the 4 bikes if thats possible ?
            Best Regards
            Gary
            Attached Files

Comment

BSA folding bike

Shot of the pedal.
              Attached Files

Comment

BSA folding bike

Green paint on head stock of frame.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Ade, was speaking to Gary last week.

I collected the bike at the weekend, basically everything is on it apart from the correct rubber handles.

I've taken the wheels off already, can anyone direct me on how to take the rest apart?

Thanks.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
                    The best people to sell to are the Dutch as they love these bikes.

Cheers, Ade.
                    That so...?

Comment

Must be,i am dutch and just bought this one

Comment

Originally posted by jelle View Post
                        Must be,i am dutch and just bought this one

Mooi apparaat!

Comment

Dank je

Comment

Bikes

I've seen a few of these being offered on Ebay in the last few months. Did any of you guys buy one of those? Just curious.

When I was in The Netherlands in 2004 for the 60th Market Garden anniversary, I was so amazed at how many bicycles they have over there.

Comment

Ade Hey,
                              Stupid question, but you know me...........were BSA the only ones that made these or did other British manufactures made any either?

Thanks
                              Regards
                              Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Hi Gary, thanks for showing your bike. Very nice to find unrestored ones. Sorry the four bike drop crate plans are very large scale and I cannot scan that large.

Hi Simon, as far as I know, all the wartime bikes were made by BSA. The early post war prototypes, which I mentioned earlier in this thread, were made by other compaines though.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X