No announcement yet.

BSA Folding Paratroopers bicycle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sliding pedals. These were one of the bikes weak points. When wearing "ammo boots" you have to keep the pedal in the instep of the boot. They can easily slip off. Many are the glider borne airlanding units fitted wooden blocks to the pedals, although this prevented them from sliding, and thus the bike from folding, it did make the bike easier to ride.
    Attached Files

Comment

Rear hub. Again, this should be BSA marked. That completes my photo study of the second pattern Parabike.
      Although the bike was not a great sucess, the army continued to try to improve it in the early post war years. They even prototyped replacement models.
      Post war BSA even "cashed in" on the bikes fame. They made a child's version of the bike, although it did not fold, it did feature the attractive elipictal frame design on the boy's version. These small size bikes are now rare and I have seen one advertised as a "Gurka's version"
      There is a Danish Army or Civil defence bike that is a copy of the BSA parabike. Frames are now also reproduced, but these are priced higher than an original. The bikes now fetch between £500 and £800 here in the UK.
      Cheers, Ade.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys, I thought that I would resurect this old thread from the depths of the back pages of the old International forum due to the interest shown in British Airborne items on our new Brit & Commonwealth forum.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I think it's BL Davis who shows an inspection of paras with kit & folding bikes - if not, one of the Osprey books? So how're you going to get an original saddle?

Comment

Hi Leigh, I know the kit inspection pic you mean. I don't have it to hand, but it is in the Osprey book on BD's. The bike is fitted with a "Everest carrier" to the handlebars. It shows a group of Royal Marines, one of whom wears a US M41 Field jacket.

Here is a pic of 294th Field Coy R.E. loading thier bikes into a Horas Mk.I

I am looking for a saddle. The Dutch, who are into these bikes big time, make a nice repro "BSA" marked leather to fit to modern hardwear.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I am not sure that I understand the jump technics (spelling). Did the jumper hold on too his bike all the way down? Or was it attach to his equipment?

Cheers
              Sonny

Comment

Hi Sonny, it was held in the Paratroopers arms until his 'chute opened then it was lowered down beneath him on a rope which has attached to his harness (just like the kit or leg bag). The bike would then hit the ground first and hopefully the Para would not land on top of it

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade,
                  very nice bike 1 what would be a ball park figure for these as i know where there may be one for sale soon !(in restored condition)

Ashley

Comment

Thanks Ade

Always a quick answer

Comment

Hi Ashley, the bikes seem to fetch £500 to £800 depending on how complete they are? I sold one fully restored for £450 and that was over 6 years ago now. The best people to sell to are the Dutch as they love these bikes.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Here is the pic that Leigh was thinking of. I have scanned it now as it shows the "Everest carrier" to advantage.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I managed to buy one of these BSA bicycles yesterday, going to pick it up on saturday

Everything appears to be there, down to the war grade tyres and tool pouch under the seat.

It has been painted in field grey and the seat has a rip in the front.

I'm just wondering where I can get the correct paint and maybe the transfers from? As I'd like this to be my winter restoration project

Thanks

Paul.

Comment

Hi Paul, send a PM to "GaryXXI" as he has just bought some decals etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Saw this on another forum, so I pinched it. Army Commando's.

Is there any way to tell the difference between the airborne bikes and these?

Comment

Hi Steve, they are one and the same. These bikes were issued with no difference.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X