This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal help

Here is another picture of the medal. It has no serial number or name engraved on it anywhere.

Mike
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, it is important. This is probably a medal that may also have more medals out there to the recipient somewhere but sadly it is un-named. I think it may be at the same level of a Bronze Star or Commondation Medal? here is an MBE. http://tinyurl.com/6lbwtx3

I really love the Un-named medals like this, especially the ones with the Citation Docs, but then its down to provenance as I can't live with the itch. And, you have Dealers adding paperwork to un-named Medals. I really love these and others like MC's.

With me it's Canadian Infantry Units who really personified the Spirit and Reputation of Canada and the Canadian Infantry Soldier ( as well as throught history) and had a reputation amongst the Enemy. 10 CEF for Kitcheners Wood and 20 CEF are my favorite. Also, POWs who were captured up against pretty tough odds and then went on to be Escapers have a place, maybe due to my watching the Great Escape as a Kid: really the introduction to WW2 for me.

Great!

Pete

The Order of the British Empire recognises distinguished service to the arts and sciences, public services outside the Civil Service and work with charitable and welfare organisations of all kinds.

The King recognised the need for a new award of honour which could be more widely awarded, in recognition of the large numbers of people in the British Isles and other parts of the Empire who were helping the war effort both as combatants and as civilians on the home front.
      For the first time, women were included in an order of chivalry, and it was decided that the Order should also include foreigners who had helped the British war effort.
      From 1918 onwards there were Military and Civil Divisions, as George V also intended that after the war the Order should be used to reward services to the State in a much wider sense.

Today the Order of the British Empire is the order of chivalry of British democracy. Valuable service is the only criterion for the award, and the Order is now used to reward service in a wide range of useful activities.
      Citizens from other countries may also receive an honorary award, for services rendered to the United Kingdom and its people. There are more than 100,000 living members of the Order throughout the world.

After some debate, St Paul's Cathedral was nominated by a special committee and approved by The Queen, as the Chapel of the Order.

As the cathedral of the capital city, it could accommodate services attended by very large congregations.

In the words of one committee member, 'St Paul's symbolised the victory of the British spirit during the war of 1939-45 in that, although badly damaged and shaken, it survived the ordeal by battle in an almost miraculous way.'

A Chapel for the Order was built in the cathedral crypt (where Nelson, Wellington and Sir Christopher Wren are buried, amongst others).

Its formal dedication in 1969 was attended by The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh (Grand Master of the Order).

Once every four years, approximately 2,000 members of the Order attend a service there to celebrate the Order.

Many people who have been awarded an honour from overseas attend these services, and each person attending wears their award.

The motto of the Order is 'For God and the Empire'
      Last edited by pete; 05-16-2011, 04:32 AM.

Comment

I thought you would enjoy seeing a photograph of a friend of mine and some his British Medal Collection. My friend died a few years ago and all of the medals have been sold. His main interest was the Indian Mutiny and Long Service Medals. He is missed.
        Dick
        Attached Files

Comment

That is my dream too some day! The little Study with a Bookcase, the Medals framed, some choice battle prints, 2 leather chairs and a little coffee table in a room with a Victorian era design where two similiarly minded spotters can sit until the late hours and drink Brandy.

Pete

Comment

Thats a fab collection a lifetimes work . Rob
            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

There's my small contribution.

1) 10th CEF 3x Pte's and a Cpl. 2 x KIA, 1 WIA. One one group researched. This The Highest Decorated and a rare "multi-cultured" unit for me is really the symbolic of the Canadian Soldier spirit and Canadian Army. All were present save one, at Wipers for the battle of Kitchener's Wood and also important for being the First gas Attack. One man was a SA veteran of the Queens.

2) 20th CEF Sgt, Company Armourer. This Unit apart from their famous exploits in battle on returning home dismissed themselves as family members overcame the parade, which I though was a nice story. Unresearched.

3) Named group to a 3rd Transvaal Scottish man, Captured in North Africa when they were over ran by Tiger tanks, then escaped POW in Italy. From there I am still waiting for info as to what he did after escaping. With service file.

4) Named Group of the 48th Highlanders CO's Driver. Definitely an Ortona Battle veteran. Unresearched so far.

5) Single to a 2 RWF Man who was most likely present on the Xmas Truce and was Killed in High Wood. Un-researched apart from his bar was not applied for.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by pete; 06-20-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kanemono View Post
                I thought you would enjoy seeing a photograph of a friend of mine and some his British Medal Collection. My friend died a few years ago and all of the medals have been sold. His main interest was the Indian Mutiny and Long Service Medals. He is missed.
                Dick
                Sad but at the same time a testament to what we pursue.
                Thanks for sharing.
                May your friend RIP.

Comment

just thought i should show off my boxed medal collection before i sell most of it off as my british medal collecting interests are slowly changing

images are quite rough.. just to show what ive got as of 2011

- most sets have those grease proof medal wrappers and some come with extra paper work +bits and bobs

x2 are kia groups, one to a man who died in england & another who died onbord hms nigeria. apparently a italian sub fired a torpedo at the ship & t quite alot of people died - but the did not sink it.

the medal group on the top right was issued to sydney dewsnap, the wife told me email that he was around 16-17 when he seaved as a merchant seaman in ww2, aparntly he was wireless operator (always worth asking the seller for info as most are family members )

almost forgot this small father son group (son raf in england ww2, father RA in ww1 & homeguard ww2)

---------------

x2 of the best deals i got via asking people on ebay if they had any stuff -
                  aif medal pair / photo & letter - £27
                  boer war christmas tin & silver boxed ARP badge - £8

Last edited by redline09; 08-27-2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

officer M.I.D your help please ?

HI there goodmorning , can any one let me know how i can check that the medal groupI have with an M.I.D is correct please ? is there a roll / thanks Miuchael

Comment

Did you ever get a reply to this?

The answer is that all MiDs were posted in the London Gazette. It is searchable online, but the search engine is not great! Entitlement to WW1 campaign medals can be ascertained by looking up the man's Medal Index Card (for army) or rolls for Navy & RAF on the National Archive website or Ancestry.

If its a WW2 group, you can check the MiD but not the other entitlements unless you know the man's service history.

Let me know you man's details and I'll have a look if you're stuck.

Jon

Comment

how much is the average price for a m.m group to a solider in ww2?

Comment

Originally posted by redline09 View Post
                          how much is the average price for a m.m group to a solider in ww2?
                          The price margin is so incredibly wide. The cheapest I have seen is 1400 GB and the most expensice 90,000 GB.

It all depends on the citation. Anything thats special forces and induces excitement in the brain........start thinking big money.

It was only last month I saw an SAS Radio Operators group for Normandy beachhead sell for 9,000. That was a real bargain for an SAS collector and once properly researched, in three or so years time the buyer will be doubling his money.
                          Last edited by yellow; 01-13-2013, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                            The price margin is so incredibly wide. The cheapest I have seen is 1400 GB and the most expensice 90,000 GB.

It all depends on the citation. Anything thats special forces and induces excitement in the brain........start thinking big money.

It was only last month I saw an SAS Radio Operators group for Normandy beachhead sell for 9,000. That was a real bargain for an SAS collector and once properly researched, in three or so years time the buyer will be doubling his money.
                            thanks for letting me know, at the moment im thinking about upgrading my collection.

Comment

New medal group officer k.r.r.c

Hi good morning , picked up a medal trio this morning at the market not my normal thing but hey ho .... tooka gamble .

14-15 star trio R-519 SGT JF THORPE 2nd LT JF THORPE ON THE WAR AND VICTORY.

My question is , I know trios to officers are desirable but does it add or lessen the interest if the guy was promoted from the ranks ???

Is it not a ` proper` officer trio if not named officer on all three medals please ?

Also can any one offer any more details on this guy ? place of birth was he commisioned in to another unit ??

very best wishes and thank you .

( they will be avalable for sale soon )

Comment

Yeah, I am a surname collector as well. I have 33 groups or single-orphans to my surname, with them spanning from the Crimean right through to the First Gulf War. I have a lot from WW1 but then WW2 and their habit of not naming has meant I only have 3 groups that are definitely family.

The surname is quite regional and centered in Lancashire so I get a few Manchester Regiments and Cheshire as well.

I see one coming up in the DNW next month so I have my absentee bid in already

Cheers
                                Geof

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X