This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dannybou,

I too have drifted into British and Russian stuff and away from TR items. A lot of people grumble about the MYB prices as being over the top, but they are still a reasonable indicator.

Given the ever-increasing values for these items fuelled by ebay etc, if anything the MYB prices may be conservative! Just from my own recent experience, if you go round a fair in the UK carrying your copy of the MYB dealers want at least the values stated therein.

A useful and very friendly forum where you can discuss values is the British Medal Forum. Google it to get the url or pm me.

Happy Hunting,

Gilbert

Comment

Originally posted by anguspm
      Thats horrific

Well I took the pic into a local militaria shop at the time (Hythe in the south of England, Kent) and the helpful guy behind the counter explained the full set ,as they say:

DSO/C (not sure which one), MM, 39-45, Africa, Italy, F&G bar, GSM, LSGC

Note: My grandfather had 40+ yrs service starting as a boy soldier in the LI before working his way up to RSM for the last 2yrs of WW2. He finished up as a half Colonel. The MM was awarded during the Italy campaign. After WW2 he commisioned into the Royal Signals (Cypher) and went on to serve in SHAPE (Versailles) where he was responsible for top security encoding and decoding of signals (used to enjoy telling US generals they weren't cleared to read the signals! ). I wish I knew more (and I'm sure there are some errors) but when your Gran doesn't want to talk about it and your father had no input from his father it's difficult to find out!
      It is definetly not the DSC as that is a Navy Medal (I would be very rare that an RSM or alike got one) as for the DSO that is normally only given to Lt Col and above, it is like the VC when given to any officer below that. Maybe he won it in Korea? Wouldn't be hard to find out.

Comment

British War Medal 1914 - 1918

Firstly please accept my appologies if I have made a complete hash of this post - it is my first one

I couldn't figure if this was the correct way to start a new thread

Any way - moving on to the serious part

My Dad has asked me to sell a medal on ebay for him - it is a British War Medal 1914 - 1918 blue/black/white/orange/white/black/blue ribbon

uncrowned George obverse nude man on horse skull & cross bones etc.... Made of Silver

In original box with little paper envelope inside, awrded to pte A.G. Saunders R.M.L.I

Any ideas of its value, I have no idea what medals are worth as I am not a collector of them

I appreciate your responces in advance and appologies for being a complete noob
        Last edited by Hunnypot; 11-05-2006, 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I would say £20.00

Comment

British medals.....

I received a phone call a few weeks ago from a collector friend, he wanted to sell his medal collection and were there any good militaria shows coming up. Nothing really I replied. I hadn't seen his collection in years and then only briefly. This fellow is a real history buff and loved the Victorian era. He had the means to buy whatever he wanted and did on his travels through GB in the 60's and 70's. Now he wants to sell. I visited him the other day and took inventory for him.
            Copied all the medals and bars and names etc........47 medals with the latest being a WWI trio with MM and the earliest being a Waterloo to the Hussars KGL and all sorts of great stuff in between. This is Not my bailiwick, I collect Polish WWI & WWII, but I have a few good friends in the trade in the UK who have shared their expertise with me. Filed edges, renamed, made medals with bars, filed off names, etc. There is some of this but most appear to be legit though but I'm no Sydney Vernon.
            So with that being said lads....what would be the best way to have these appraised or valued for resale? I have ordered the 2007 MYB for base reference.
            All advice & opinions appreciated.
            Pivo

Comment

British Medal Collecting

Hello Chums,

I think you will all find this, my thread, veeeerrrrryyyyyy interesting : FAKE Canadian WW.1 Medal Group.

Seph

Comment

First time posting here. I just wanted to share a interesting book I found this morning at a flea market in Utrecht, Netherlands. Title is Ribbons & Medals ...Naval.Military.Air Force and Civil. by Captain H. Taprell Dorling, D.S.O., R.N. published in London 1941
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Here is my medal collection. It has actually been a few years since I acquirred any British campaign medals:

Comment

Nice collection!!

Comment

Thank you, Marcel.

Comment

Here are a few of my British Empire awards I really like them they are heavy & well struck. I acquired these several years ago, I also have some of the British WW2 awards.

Mike
                              Attached Files

Comment

Medal help

I have had this medal for many years & I know it is an Order of the British Empire, but I have researched online & can not find much info. Such as how old it is & if it has any importance. Thanks in advance for any help / information.

Mike
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X