Please Help !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help !!!!!!

Hello...I need your guys expetise...My grandfather was in RAF during WWII, he was with ASR (air sea rescue) he was actually on a boat..anyway...he has not been with us since 1981.. my great uncle has told me that his rank during the war was "color sargeant" , I have asked around and everyone tells me there was no such rank.....my grandfather moved the whole family from wales to california in 1952...he of course gave away anything that wasnt vital to the move before leaving the UK, which of course included his military unifoms...Here is where I need your help...I will post a photo of my grandfather in uniform...I need you gents to tell me what his rank was, and what any other particular patches are on his uniform...my father and I are going to put together a shadow box in honor and memory of both of my grandfathers.....I would also appredciate any help on finding dealers who can sell me rank and specific medals/patches so I can put this honor shadow box tohgether...thank you in advance for your help...picture to follow shortly..thanks..Chad Williams

Post and i'm sure someone can help you.

Comment

here is the photo..he is in the middle..I dont know why in this photo I dont see his ASR patch (the boat) on his shoulder...it is very asppearant in other photos..anyway my biggest question is his rank of 3 chevrons with the seperate crown...and where can I buy authentic cheverons and such..thanks..chad
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks to be a Staff Sgt.

Unit wise, im not sure

Comment

Hi,
          Interesting photo.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you better than I, but perhaps he was a Sgt in the colour squaron ?
          http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafregiment/63_sqn_hist.html
          I'm sure the RAF are bound to have colour Sgt's for their regimental flags.

Comment

Para...where can I find staff sargeant chevrons and the crown for sale? ORIGINAL... thanks..chad

Comment

Just gotta check dealers man, i'll look aroiund for ya and tell ya if i find some.

I only have one Pair in my collection but its on a BD, no way i'm giveing it up

Comment

Para thanks for athe help, if you happen across something drop me a line..thanks again..Chad

Comment

I'll keep a look out and ask a few friends

Comment

Blindpew...what do you mean by colour squadron? I am still trying to get to the bottom of this..thanks..chad

Comment

The Queen's Colour Squadron I think he means? It was and is still a kind of ceremonial drill unit responsible for representing the RAF on special occasions.

Look at the link he posted earlier. It tells you all about them.

Thanks, from Jack.

Comment

Jack...thanks, i didnt even see the link on blindpews post...I think I am going to have to rule out the colour gaurd idea..the name didnt change to include "colour" until 1960...maybe my great uncle has just been mistaken.....thank you to all who have helped..if anyone sees any of the items I am looking for for sale please drop me a line..thanks again form myself and my father...Chad

Comment

It looks like they have little grenade badges over the stripes rather than a crown.This is what you want but these are not for sale .Rob.
                          Attached Files
                          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Lovely Mess you have there!

Comment

Hi Chad, your Grandfather's rank was Flight Sgt. I have never seen a flaming grenade device used above Sgt's stripes, I think it is just a trick of the light on the photo.

It should not be too difficult to obtain the badges you need, especially if you only need a single stripe. (Pairs of RAF Sgt's stripes are more difficult to find.) I will try and locate some for you.

The ASR flash might have to be a repro as these are harder to find.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X