Brass Canadian para badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Infanteer
    Johnsy, not sure what you are asking .... no, the cap badge is not in use anymore, in fact it's post war equivilent, the Canadian Airborne Regiment (which had a different badge) no longer exists either... or did you mean something else?

Any of the repro badges that I have encountered so far have been the wrong size, construction or lacked details. This badge is correct in details and size and only causes a doubt because of the "look" of the brass that it is made of and the fact that it is absolutey factory mint.

Steve
    I agree Steve, mine has the BEEN THERE looks and its about the details. I know the mine is 100% real WW2, it comes from a village where the canadians stayed, for a month. And yours looks the same as ,ime only it looks brand new. Maybe the former owner did polish it.

Jeroen

Comment

Originally posted by Infanteer
      Johnsy, not sure what you are asking .... no, the cap badge is not in use anymore, in fact it's post war equivilent, the Canadian Airborne Regiment (which had a different badge) no longer exists either... or did you mean something else?

Any of the repro badges that I have encountered so far have been the wrong size, construction or lacked details. This badge is correct in details and size and only causes a doubt because of the "look" of the brass that it is made of and the fact that it is absolutey factory mint.

Steve
      Sorry, just thinking out load really. It has all the classic features of a old badge is what I was trying to say, so to my way of thinking this is original, and unlikely to be a restrike or copy just going off the photo details of style. I was using the RSB as an example. My grandfathers is mint deep bronze finish with the same style of pin at the back as your para badge, whereas mine has a "cheap" look about it and different pins even though it is the same badge design and maker from WW2. I have never worn it but it still dosn't look as good as the WW2 version. Thats why I asked if they were still in use today, the skill and care taken back then is not evident in todays manufacturing as companies cut corners to reduce costs.

Regards;
      Johnsy

Comment

Brass Badge

This badge is fine. Please remember that the Brass badge was not issued until November 1944. In fact the first people to get them were at Shilo. There is also evidence at the NA that this badge could have been made into the post war years. It is evident in post war photographs as late as the Joint Air School that these badges continud to be worn. I have also heard that a cadet/militia para affiliated unit also wore them. ( have not confirme this though) It is a fact that there are several different makers to this badge under Govt. contract. The later examples appear to have a semi-anodized appearence to them. These usually have some discolouration, especially where the lugs were soldered on. Being Govt contract the tools and dies to make the badge would not have ended up i the hands of restrike artists. The UK manufacturers whose dies did end up in the hands of restrike artists are not govt contract dies, these were privately made dies for the production of officer badges or badges ordered under the authority of the unit. A good example of this from Canada is the Armoured Carrier boys. THese badges were paid for by the CO, not the Canadian Govt. That is why we have good copies of this badge today. otherwise most other so-called restrikes are made using a cold mould method,not original dies.

The badge is good.

KJ

Originally posted by Aave Johns
        Sorry, just thinking out load really. It has all the classic features of a old badge is what I was trying to say, so to my way of thinking this is original, and unlikely to be a restrike or copy just going off the photo details of style. I was using the RSB as an example. My grandfathers is mint deep bronze finish with the same style of pin at the back as your para badge, whereas mine has a "cheap" look about it and different pins even though it is the same badge design and maker from WW2. I have never worn it but it still dosn't look as good as the WW2 version. Thats why I asked if they were still in use today, the skill and care taken back then is not evident in todays manufacturing as companies cut corners to reduce costs.

Regards;
        Johnsy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X