No announcement yet.

Who was the best WWII author?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the thread indicates deceased or no longer writing authors ("Who WAS the best") so Nipe it should be remembered is still researching and writing. He's a close friend and I eagerly await his next book.

Mark

Comment

Sorry about this but since both mr Reynolds and mr Beevor appears on the polling list (and to my knowledge at least are still alive and writing), I assumed present and thus living authors were allowed too. Perhaps I misunderstood.

A note on mr Kershaw, I haven't read his D-Day book yet so he might not be a "one hit wonder"
      Last edited by Sigurd Helge; 07-31-2006, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Perhaps I misunderstood as well. I took "was" as past tense compared to "is."

Mark

Comment

Hello??

Where the hell am I in all this??

Herr Major Hans Von Luck

Comment

Originally posted by VonLuck

Herr Major Hans Von Luck
            Just behind the proverbial 'hind teat'....

Comment

Sorry to inform you've been dead 9 years!

Rikster

Originally posted by VonLuck

Herr Major Hans Von Luck

Comment

Just read Sven Hassel's "Legion of The Damned", thought it was really good and a nice quick easy read too.

Rob

Comment

Aircraft/aerial authors: William Green, Francis K Mason, Peter Bowers, Rene Francillion, Christopher Shores

SS units studies: Wilhelm Tieke, Hans Stöber, Otto Weidinger, Rudolf Lehmann, Wolfgang Vopersal

Units structure and development (all German services, WWII): Georg Tessin

other aspects (German topics) Helmut Krausnick, George Nipe, Andreas Schulz, Robert Koehl

Just a few of my favorites,
                  Mark C. Yerger

Comment

Sven Hassell. There's a name I haven't heard in awhile. Don't know if anyone has mentioned him but what about William Manchester? he wrote his own memoirs as a marine in the Pacific Theatre called Goodbye Darkness and an entire History of the Kruppe family, who made so much of Germany's weapons for 4 or5 hundred years. What a book that is. Called The Arms of Kruppe. Check it out

Comment

The Arms of Krupp is a great read.

I just finished "A bridge Too Far" so because its fresh in my mind I guess I'll say Ryan.

Comment

There is a Krupp artillery piece in a park just down from my house. Captured in WW1 and brought over here with 3 others. Still in good shape.

Comment

Another Author

One i would mention because he wrote a real good book on the fallschirmj******228;ger in WW2 is james lucas,of the storming eagles book that came out in 1988 going by my paperback 2001 edition.He also on the insode says wrote 8 other WW2 books,some i think have read too,and since 2001 maybe a few more?,sadly i was told not long ago on the axis forum he passed away.

Comment

I really like the way Franz Kurowski writes. Makes the books really easy to read and very interesting. Some of my Favs have been the Infantry Aces and Panzer Aces. Also, His book on the Kurland Bridgehead was outstanding.
                            Regards,
                            Mike

Comment

My favorite has always been Cornelius Ryan. I envy the fact that he was able to personally interview so many of the men, both Allied and German, who were major players in WWII.
                              A distant #2 would be Paul Carrell, followed by Michael Reynolds.
                              For memoirs, I really like the work of William Manchester, Hans Von Luck, Leon Degrelle, Hans Ulrich Rudel, Siegfried Knappe, and of course Guy Sajer.

I liked Anthony Beevor's "Stalingrad", but his other books didn't quite do it for me.
                              Last edited by Andy Harris; 03-19-2007, 07:17 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

I also liked Anton Myrer's books.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X