Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who was the best WWII author?

Hello folks,
    Just a quick poll on who you think was one of the best WWII authors from the US or UK. One of my personal favorites is the late Cornelius Ryan for so many have copied his style of writing. The Longest Day is still one of my favorite books. In addition his other great works are The Last Battle and of course A Bridge Too Far, which are also must reads.
    Regards,
    Jody
    Stephen Ambrose
    14.32%
    Antony Beevor
    11.89%
    Max Hastings
    5.41%
    David Irving (before his neo-Nazi phase)
    17.30%
    John Keegan
    4.86%
    Michael Reynolds
    1.62%
    Cornelius Ryan
    12.16%
    John Toland
    4.86%
    Charles Whiting
    1.35%
    Some other author
    26.22%
    Last edited by Jody Beltram; 05-07-2005, 11:39 AM.

C. Ryan hands down. I purchased Col. Julian Cooks 'stuff' several years back from his widow, had to sell it all but kept my copy A Bridge Too Far signed by his widow and cherish it and the memory greatly.

Have never read Beevor or Whiting that I can think of.

Comment

It is interesting that the authors were able to get these accounts directly from the soldiers. While there have always been accounts from the front lines, many of these were taken from the more famous veterans and of officers (many of whom may have had biographers). Likewise, many tales from wars past were compiled from dispatches and official reports. It is likely that the golden age of WWII books could be over as the stories pass away with the veterans. I feel lucky that so much of the record has survived thanks to Ryan, Ambrose and others.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu
        I feel lucky that so much of the record has survived thanks to Ryan, Ambrose and others.
        My thoughts exactly

Hard coices ! If I had to pick a 'overall' best it would be Ryan. Although the Toland books are extremely detailed. Can't beat the 'feel' of Ambrose.
        Last edited by David S; 05-05-2005, 11:48 PM. Reason: more to add

Comment

My vote goes to Stephen Ambrose all day long. I only wish he hadn't been taken from us so early.

Comment

Hi all,

I have to agree with Chris, Stephen Ambrose has written some great books, although I would add John Elting and Anthony Beavor as well.

Regards

Steve

Comment

Paul Carrell

From the German perspective, Paul Carrell is hard to beat.
              "Invasion, There Coming!", "Hitler Moves East", "Scorched Earth", "Foxes of the Desert".

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM.
                My vote goes to Stephen Ambrose all day long. I only wish he hadn't been taken from us so early.
                Chris,
                While I have to agree that Ambrose wrote a true classic with his work "D-Day," many of his works showed hime to be far less interested in printing the facts and more interested in writing a good story. His "work" on several of his books was lifted from other authors without him giving proper credit. If a student does that in college, it is called plagerism and the student finds himself being kicked out of school. If you are Stephen Ambrose, you simply apologize and continue to collect royalties. Ambrose was taken to task on a number of books including "Wild Blue," "Citizen Soldiers," "Exile," his book on Richard Nixon, his book on the trans-continental railroad, and even his book "Crazy Horse and Custer."

I have spent a good many years studying the exploits and history of the US Airborne forces in World War II. I met Richard Winters before Ambrose did. There are a number of discrepencies between fact and what was written in Ambrose's most famous work "Band of Brothers." While I give him cudos for writing "Band of Brothers," I do not understand why he would deliberately change facts to make his story "better."

Trying to name a single author on such a huge subject as World War II is easily as difficult as trying to name the greatest singer of all time. Nobody is going to be the consensus choice. One person who should be recognized for his scholarship and outstanding contributions to WWII history is Mark Bando. Many have never heard of Mr. Bando, though he has written a number of books on the 101st Airborne in World War II. I would stack his "Vanguard of the Crusade" up against any book written on the 101st or any other unit in the war. While "Vanguard" is a great book, I consider his best work to be "Breakout at Normandy: The 2nd Armored Division in the Land of the Dead" which covers the 2nd Armored Division from Normandy to the famous breakout in Operation Cobra. Whetehr you are a German military history fan or interested in the US exploits, it is a compelling read!

For those of you who want proof without going out an buying his book- check out his fantastic website www.101airborneww2.com
                and click on his section titled "Troop Carrier." http://www.101airborneww2.com/troopcarrier.html
                Bando blows away a number of myths concerning the airborne drops into Normandy.

My two cents,
                Allan

Comment

My vote went to Mike Reynolds (retired General, British Army). Although a relatively recent author, he brings a wealth of military experience to his analyses of campaigns and battles. For his first effort, "Devil's Adjutant" (Peiper, concentrating on his actions in the Ardennes) he could also draw on years of familiarity with the terrain and local people.

Allan spoke above about "printing the facts" - Reynolds conducts meticulous research and IMO does a good job of sorting through conflicting reports and memories. Could you say that he is a little guilty of the "Waffen-SS mystique?" Perhaps, since his works focus on Waffen-SS units, though I found his approach unbiased.

Regards,
                  Greg
                  sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
                  www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

I agree. Stephen Ambrose is not a serious historian. His books are nice reads, but I will take an historian over him and others any day. That said, my most enjoyable reads have been memoirs. Yes, they are from one perspective, and you must always keep this in mind, but they have a vibrance one can not ignore.
                    Marc

Comment

Best authors

U.S.-Did'nt see Jim Gavin on the list-but his ON TO BERLIN (think it was the title)is among the very best Airborne accounts written by a participant...

Also,Don Burgett (ex.506/101 Abn.)is a very good account of a paratrooper who went from Normandy to the Eagle's Nest in 3 different books(CURRAHEE,& 2 other titles)
                      Toland's 3 vol.account of the Pacific War THE RISING SUN ,is very interesting.
                      I especially like the way he uses American and,then,Japanese first person accounts describing the SAME event,or action.

German-I've always liked Rudel's STUKA PILOT.
                      He told me he gave the contents for the book into a tape recorder while lying on his sofa at home...

Mano Zieser's ROCKET FIGHTER;a very well written account of flying the ME 163 jets.(Those guys had really large cajones!)

Comment

John Toland is detailed but he has a great writing style which is unusual for alot of writers. Usually their too detailed and their writing style is not exciting at all.
                        I haven't read Ambrose, but have to admire his "novel" style that he seemed to take on with his various WWII books. However, I'm leary of his work because I keep hearing that he was a major plagerizer and added instances to spruce up his stories.

Comment

Favorite author

Hello,
                          Another favorite author of mine is Michael Gannon. I am into U-boats and Mr. Gannon wrote two great books on the history of U-boats, they are Operation Drumbeat and Black May. If you have not read them, please check them out.

So far there are not votes for John Keegan and John Toland. I personally think Keegan's book Five Armies in Normandy is one of the better Normandy campaign books out there. Who can forget Toland's book on Hitler called Adolf Hitler and of course one of the best books written on the Pacific War, The Rising Sun.
                          Regards,
                          Jody
                          Last edited by Jody Beltram; 05-07-2005, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I am currently reading ARMAGEDDON by Max Hastings. I will post a review when done, but so far so good!
                            Marc

Comment

I can't believe

No one voted for Charles Whiting..... for me, I would take him over Stephen Ambrose anyday ( sounds like we are going for football teams ).

I love his style, I also like Mike Reynolds but his level of detail etc makes sometimes for hard reading & the "flowability" isnt there at times.

I also like James Lucas & Rupert Butler.

I have only just started readining Monte Cassino by Mathew Parker but he also seems to have a good style about him.

A sin I know but I havent read any Cornelius Ryan, so one day I will have to get involved with him.

If anyone is interested in the Australian side of things please do yourself a favour & get a copy of " A Bastard of a Place" by Peter Brune. It is a true classic & I can highly recommend it you anyone who wants to expand their horizons

Regards
                              Craig
                              Strong wind-magic mist, to Asgard the Valkries fly
                              High overhead-they carry the dead, Where the blood of my enemies lies - MANOWAR - Hail to England

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X