Who was the best WWII author?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is the Best WWII Author

Having read several of Yerger's books, I've found the material contained within all of them, to be exhaustively researched and objectively presented, making Yerger, in my opionion, one of the most proficient, accomplished, and respected of the historical writers concerning this subject matter. The posts below seem to echo the same sentiments from other knowledgable scholars and submect matter experts in the field. Yerger should have clearly been included in the list of named WWII writers, at the beginning of this thread. He gets my vote for Who is the Best WWII Author, included in the other writers category.

Comment

Originally posted by pasoleati View Post
      As for figures, George Nipe asks what is the point about arguing numbers. Well, if there is no point, then why is the figure of 6 million so deeply rooted in the public mind?.....Second point, why should non-Jewish and Jewish victims be differentiated?
      There is a consensus that the figure of Jews killed in the holocuast was in the range of 5-6 million. There are differences as to exact numbers, but most people understand the distinction between an honest factual difference and denial. As to why the victims should be differentiated? Because the Nazis made the differentiation and it explains so much of what drove their actions. To not make a distinction would be historically dishonest and be a form of......denial.

Comment

David Irving before...

David Irving during...

David Irving after...

Comment

I definitely think Jason D. Mark (Leaping Horseman) has earned a place at the top!

Comment

Carlos D'Este should have made the list IMHO.

Comment

....oh, and Rick Atkinson.

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Although the title of this thread is called :

"Who was the best WWII author?"

I will say that one of the best authors for the last years till today is Mark Yerger.

His great historical interest and research is again and again turned into the finest books that can be offered on the subjects he writes about.

Often enough one is able to buy several different books on the same subject of field of interest.

Mark's book are one of a kind, there aren't other books on the same subject that one can compare to the books written by him.

His book do provide a load of information, are well written and a pleasure to read......and a good historical investment for the future.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Comment

Eric, totally agree with you Mark is an outstanding author, defiantly one of the good guys.

Comment

I think reading tastes evolve over time. At the moment my favourite WW2 authors would include the following. Not able to pick one and exclude all the others unfortunately so this is a top 10 rather than a no.1.

Wolfgang Curilla & Stefan Klemp - Both left wing German authors of fascinating & comprehensive Ordnungspolizei reference books unfortunately not yet translated into English. The parts of these books I have managed to translate and access are dense (in the best sense of the word) comprehensive, authoritative and indexed to the hilt !

Christopher Browning - 'Ordinary men' is a modern masterpiece (particularly the 2nd edition with 30 page Goldhagen annihilation). Also 'Remembering Survival' raises all sorts of interesting questions but does so in a tasteful and considered manner.

David Irving - the subject of WW2 needs a dissenting voice due to it's excessive and ongoing politicisation in my view. Also the standard of his work is infinitely more accurate, better written, more readable and miles beyond the majority of bookshelf fodder churned out each year. Contentious or not, problematic or not I am massively looking forward to his 'Himmler' later this year.

Rolf Michaelis - writes lots of books but can be very worthwhile. I have yet to find fault with his Combat operations of the Ordnungspolizei. It's not as exhaustive as others but there are no inaccuracies that I am aware of.

Mark C. Yerger - the German Cross in Gold series. This will need a bookshelf of it's own before too long. I really hope the final book has an overall series index !!

Jason D. Mark - extremely readable, accurately researched and a wealth of information that is pitched at just the right level imo.

Massimo D.Arico - I had a bit of a disagreement with him on here once, on reflection I was focusing too much on negative aspects and being over critical without recognising the positive aspects. Taken as a whole his 2 books on ORpo are great for what they are. I do hope he changes his mind and does an Encyclopedia vol2. I might have to get a 2nd copy of his Encyclopedia vol 1 as mine has been dropped, dinged and banged up so much over the years through over use.

John R. Angolia Hugh Taylor - for the 'German Police' books. Absolute masterpieces. A bit uneven in terms of the levels of coverage for the different branches so far but I think they are setting a new standard.

Comment

For a deeper and more academic understanding of WWII military history on the Eastern Front I would recommend Glantz.

Comment

There are a few missing, but I just always like John Toland Tom

Comment

My favorite books are those of Amedeo Montemaggi the greatest, enthusiast, studious, expert on the Gothic Line ... they are many books, articles and publications from 1970 to 2010 about ....
                          Attached Files

Comment

David Irving all the way...

Comment

Hi,

Do not forget Sven Hassel
                              Only joking!

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

David Irving is extremely readable and his research is unparalleled - he has been associated with neo rallies but I have never heard him quoted saying straight out neo things - he just dares to question certain topics and I think people need to challenge the evidence to long held 'truths'

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X