• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter J. View Post
    "Panzer Commander", Hans von Luck. A great read
    cheers
    Peter
    A good book - no doubt, but von Luck was "Aufklärer" and grenadier - not panzer.

The english title is a merchandize trick. The original title "Gefangener meiner Zeit" is a much better match to the book.

Comment

Originally posted by IanC View Post
      My friend, Jason Mark latest book; Panzerkrieg

Further information:

https://www.leapinghorseman.com/prod...92274931&cat=5
      +1

The book includes many biographical accounts of members of the 3 Abteilungs.

Comment

Just finished To the Gate of Hell by Armin Böttger
        A great first hand account. I had never heard of "Medical Panzer"s. He mentions them a few times.
        Using Mitcham's Panzer Legions as sort of a guide as I read.

Comment

Originally posted by Wartime Collectables View Post
          Just finished To the Gate of Hell by Armin Böttger
          A great first hand account. I had never heard of "Medical Panzer"s. He mentions them a few times.
          Using Mitcham's Panzer Legions as sort of a guide as I read.

Haven't read Böttger's book, but I know it was common in armor/mech units for them to have an armored half-track ambulance. In fact there was an official variant for such a vehicle, Sd.Kfz. 251/8.

I forgot to also put in a vote for Freiherr von Rosen's book. I have it and it's really good. Forgot to mention it in my previous reply.

Comment

If you read German, this one is really great. I just finished it. Covers the career of Kurt Knispel who rose through the ranks to command a Tiger II on the Eastern Front, and was killed right at the end of the war. He is generally recognized as the highest-scoring tank ace of WW2.

https://www.amazon.ca/Feldwebel-Kurt...s=kurt+knispel

Comment

Originally posted by IanC View Post
              My friend, Jason Mark latest book; Panzerkrieg

Further information:

https://www.leapinghorseman.com/prod...92274931&cat=5
              I just started reading Panzer Krieg....Jason Mark writing style make you feel you walk with these young lad panzers crew through battle. Clouse to that will be a time machine.

I have all his books

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Walden View Post
                If you read German, this one is really great. I just finished it. Covers the career of Kurt Knispel who rose through the ranks to command a Tiger II on the Eastern Front, and was killed right at the end of the war. He is generally recognized as the highest-scoring tank ace of WW2.

https://www.amazon.ca/Feldwebel-Kurt...s=kurt+knispel
                Alfred Rubbel - the former commander of Kurt Knispel in PzRgt.29 - judged this book as awful. One of the many "fairy tales" out of the hand by Franz Kurowski - far away of the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyStrike23 View Post
                  A good book - no doubt, but von Luck was "Aufklärer" and grenadier - not panzer.
                  The english title is a merchandize trick. The original title "Gefangener meiner Zeit" is a much better match to the book.
                  Midway thru this one. It was a pleasant surprise that he was Aufklarung, an area of interest due to some recent additions to my collection. Yes, an interesting original title! He certainly takes the personage of Rommel out of the page and into real life. Great men.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyStrike23 View Post
                    Alfred Rubbel - the former commander of Kurt Knispel in PzRgt.29 - judged this book as awful. One of the many "fairy tales" out of the hand by Franz Kurowski - far away of the truth.

Odd indeed ... most of the first-hand info in the book seems to have come from Rubbel himself. His name is throughout the book in statements like "according to Rubbel, Knispel did ...," or "Knispel's commander Rubbel told the author ... etc."

Comment

Just finished "Panzer Commander", Hans von Luck.
                      He mentions Freiherr von Wechmar and calls him the Father of the Reconnaissance Battalion. I find little info on him other than RK recipient. Anything out there on him?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X