Panzer book recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer book recommendations

I need a good read. Any recommendations for a good book on Panzers? Not a reference or strategy book, maybe a veteran autobiography or a combat narratve?

"Panzer Commander", Hans von Luck. A great read
    cheers
    Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter J. View Post
      cheers
      Peter
      Thanks! Just ordered it.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter J. View Post
        cheers
        Peter
        +1 brilliant book.

'Panzer Leader' by Heinz Guderian is also worthwhile.

Comment

My friend, Jason Mark latest book; Panzerkrieg

For the first time ever, the operations of panzer formations at Stalingrad are examined in detail, from formation until demise.

Stalingrad is perceived as a fierce man-versus-man struggle in the ruins of a major metropolis and the surrounding steppe; yet, 6. Armee possessed formidable armoured assets that helped it reach the Volga, defended its flanks and even supported assault groups within the claustrophobic confines of the city.

In this first volume of a series dedicated to studying German armoured operations at Stalingrad, the combat histories of Panzer-Abteilungen 103, 129 and 160 will be examined in detail. These panzer battalions � drawn from panzer regiments on the quieter central sector of the Eastern Front � were incorporated into motorised divisions for the 1942 summer campaign, and though most of their men thought they were headed to the Caucasus, all roads ultimately led to Stalingrad. As manpower levels dropped in their parent formations, the panzer battalions assumed a greater role in holding lengthy flanks while the main body of 6. Armee laid siege to Stalingrad. After encirclement in November 1942, the panzers assembled for a break-out operation, and when that failed to eventuate, they supported their struggling infantry brethren with plucky counterattacks and steadfast defence until fuel, ammunition and morale were depleted.

Unprecedented access to Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt), a government agency that maintains records of former Wehrmacht personnel, has permitted the life and death of each battalion to be analysed in incredible detail. The narrative is enhanced by hundreds of rare photos drawn from official archives, private collections and the albums of veterans themselves.
          Further information:

https://www.leapinghorseman.com/prod...92274931&cat=5
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mil-Archive View Post
            +1 brilliant book.

'Panzer Leader' by Heinz Guderian is also worthwhile.
            I have that one on the shelf to read! I hear it's a tad biased to the author so wanted to have a good foundation before I read it.

Comment

[QUOTE=IanC;8308102]My friend, Jason Mark latest book; Panzerkrieg

Will consider it, I just ordered his book Death of the Leaping Horsemen. Looking forward to the read!

Comment

"Tigers in the Mud" by Otto Carius. Fine account of the 502nd Schwere Panzer Battn. on the Eastern Front.

Comment

Here are two newer ones.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/152...A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

https://www.amazon.ca/Panzer-Ace-Com...rds=panzer+ace

Comment

Great! I will look into these as well.
                    Seems the majority is about the Eastern Front, little on the West.

Comment

The two that immediately came to mind I see have already been recommended, but I'll second the notion for both Hans von Luck and Otto Carius. I own both and they are both great.

Panzer Krieg by Jason Mark is fantastic, but not autobiographical in nature.

An excellent first person account but not well known is "Wir zogen in das Feld" by Justus-Wilhelm von Oechelhaeuser. I do not know if it's been translated into English, but if you read German definitely give it a go.

Comment

Order In Chaos The Memoirs of General of Panzer Troops Hermann Balck
                        Panzer Gunner by Bruno Friesen
                        To the Gate of Hell by Armin Böttger
                        Into the Den of the Bear by Hermann Pfaeffle
                        All excellent reads
                        Last edited by JK53; 11-21-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

front line

For a view of armored warfare from a frontline soldier's perspective get Otto Henning's book "Panzer Leader: Memoirs of an Armoured Car Commander". I knew him well and his experiences are well portrayed from the enlisted man's view. He also had a camera and film which were an unusual opportunity.

Comment

Forgot to mention Otto was only on the western front and prior to that in Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                              For a view of armored warfare from a frontline soldier's perspective get Otto Henning's book "Panzer Leader: Memoirs of an Armoured Car Commander". I knew him well and his experiences are well portrayed from the enlisted man's view. He also had a camera and film which were an unusual opportunity.
                              I've got quite a reading list in hand and on order but just ordered this one too. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for. THANKS

FYI I opened my first shop in 1992 and it was a weekly experience, even in a small town, for WWII veterans to come in and talk with me. Now, 2018, I can't remember the last time one has visited and the one's I became close to have all passed on. My kids will never know what it was like to have a man describe the beachhead at Omaha, the flak over Germany, or the surf at Tarawa. I have never spoken to a German veteran and wish I had that chance.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X