Darkest Hour... anybody seen it yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darkest Hour... anybody seen it yet?

I heard that Gary Oldman plays Churchill very well, but would like to hear some feedback about the movie overall if you've seen it. I hope to see it tomorrow.

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
    I heard that Gary Oldman plays Churchill very well, but would like to hear some feedback about the movie overall if you've seen it. I hope to see it tomorrow.
    I have not seen it yet but very much look forward to doing so soon. I just hope that it s not a left-wing hit piece.
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Prior to seeing this movie on Friday, I had read a number of reviews, which were generally favorable. One reviewer complained of the lack of development of characters such as Chamberlain and Halifax.

My answer to this last critic would be that to do what he wished had been done would have entailed greatly lengthening the movie which would then have made it into a documentary for PBS.

I enjoyed the movie. Probably my in depth reading concerning WWII as a whole made it easier for me to follow the political clash at the highest levels of the British government when crisis in May 1940 broke out on the continent.

Comment

Left wing hit piece ??

Can you please elaborate on this comment ???????

Confused somewhat

Comment

The movie concentrated on Winston Churchill as he became Prime Minister, faced a looming disaster, and dealt with a difficult domestic political situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Harrington View Post
            Can you please elaborate on this comment ???????

Confused somewhat
            Left-wing revisionism seeks to belittle the contributions of great leaders such as Churchill during those trying times. Not really interested in seeing their version of events.
            When you go home
            Tell them for us and say
            For your tomorrow
            We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Curley View Post
              Prior to seeing this movie on Friday, I had read a number of reviews, which were generally favorable. One reviewer complained of the lack of development of characters such as Chamberlain and Halifax.

My answer to this last critic would be that to do what he wished had been done would have entailed greatly lengthening the movie which would then have made it into a documentary for PBS.

I enjoyed the movie. Probably my in depth reading concerning WWII as a whole made it easier for me to follow the political clash at the highest levels of the British government when crisis in May 1940 broke out on the continent.

Thanks Tim. I was not able to see it today, but hopefully tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
                Left-wing revisionism seeks to belittle the contributions of great leaders such as Churchill during those trying times. Not really interested in seeing their version of events.

So you have no idea about the contents of the film, but that is enough to decide whether to see it or not?

Am sure many film critics could save thousands of wasted viewing hours a year if they had that gift!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
                  So you have no idea about the contents of the film, but that is enough to decide whether to see it or not?

Am sure many film critics could save thousands of wasted viewing hours a year if they had that gift!
                  If you read the chain of comments, you will see that I indicate that "I have not seen it yet but very much look forward to doing so soon. I just hope that it s not a left-wing hit piece." Kyle Harrington asks that I elaborate on such comment and I attempted to do so by saying that I hope the film wasn't an attempt to belittle the Churchill persona.

My statement was not a conclusion but a hope that the movie did not turn out to be that. Clear enough?
                  Last edited by WalterB; 12-25-2017, 07:55 AM.
                  When you go home
                  Tell them for us and say
                  For your tomorrow
                  We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

It's actually a brilliant film with fine performances from all the actors.
                    There are some very moving scenes in the film and it's not political at all.

Another interesting thing is the story takes place during the German invasion of France and when the British Expeditionary Forces were surrounded at Dunkirk. So if you have seen the Christopher Nolan DUNKIRK film this past summer then you get to see what was happening behind closed doors with the British leadership. Go see it. You will not be disappointed.

Comment

Thanks for the review Remy, now I want to see it more than ever. Unfortunately I have been sick all week and have not been able to do so yet.

Comment

John I want to see it too.

Comment

Great movie except the subway action.
                          Total B.S. on that part.

Comment

Well I finally got to see this movie last night, and I thought it was fantastic. It was a bit slow in the beginning, but still quite well done. In my opinion, Gary Oldman deserves an Academy Award for his portrayal of Mr. Churchill.

Naturally there were a few "artistic liberties" taken to make the story work for the Hollywood pack, but nothing too grievous in my opinion. The subway scene was probably not factual, at least not as it was portrayed in the movie, but from what I understand, Mr. Churchill was known to disappear at times and would turn up amongst the "regular people".

I highly recommend this film.

Comment

great

Bloody loved it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X