Ken Burns The Vietnam War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bodes View Post
    We underestimated the resolve of the North Vietnamese and in many ways overestimated our reputation and presence as a world power....Eisenhower and Kennedy warned we should not get bogged down in southeast asia.....Eisenhower also warned of the "falling dominoes" and the total collapse of that part of the world.....Communism was our sworn enemy and our policy was to stand up to any of their agression.....Had we backed Ho Chi Minh and supported Vietnamese unification, 58,000 American lives could have been spared.....But when Minh spoke of communism, the die was cast....Bodes
    I just always flash back to Ron Kovic's Father in Born on the 4th of July remarking '13000 miles is a long way to go to fight a war' and why should a young man WANT to be there? to fight the spread of communism? sure, right. Yes there were some who were committed to the ideals of this country but most, like the poor saps the Russians sent to Afghanistan, were there because they had no choice. Eisenhower's warnings about the future of this country and the role that the military would play in our economy and societal construct were prescient to say the least. I have known and shared the Vietnam experience with many vets and none of them felt it was a time and place to be fighting but all were proud of their service and the ultimate sacrifice that many of their friends made.
    I look forward to watching this series when I complete my Mad Men watching.
    Eric

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
      I just always flash back to Ron Kovic's Father in Born on the 4th of July remarking '13000 miles is a long way to go to fight a war' and why should a young man WANT to be there? to fight the spread of communism? sure, right. Yes there were some who were committed to the ideals of this country but most, like the poor saps the Russians sent to Afghanistan, were there because they had no choice. Eisenhower's warnings about the future of this country and the role that the military would play in our economy and societal construct were prescient to say the least. I have known and shared the Vietnam experience with many vets and none of them felt it was a time and place to be fighting but all were proud of their service and the ultimate sacrifice that many of their friends made.
      I look forward to watching this series when I complete my Mad Men watching.
      Eric

Having the advantage of hindsight also adds to the confusion of our involvement in that part of the world.....The whole of southeast asia didn't fall to communism, and who foresaw the collapse of the Soviet Union not long after?.....Bodes

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
        Having the advantage of hindsight also adds to the confusion of our involvement in that part of the world.....The whole of southeast asia didn't fall to communism, and who foresaw the collapse of the Soviet Union not long after?.....Bodes
        That is so very true.
        Who woulda thunk it indeed.
        I was friends with a man (passed away last year in his 80's) who was present when Khruschev banged his shoe on the table and stated "we will bury you!" Khruschev turned to my friend (off camera) and winked. I literally had my entire view of history altered by that one story.
        It was all mostly a game. Who knew?
        And now look at us...just madness everywhere with no rhyme or reason to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaMilitaria View Post
          That is so very true.
          Who woulda thunk it indeed.
          I was friends with a man (passed away last year in his 80's) who was present when Khruschev banged his shoe on the table and stated "we will bury you!" Khruschev turned to my friend (off camera) and winked. I literally had my entire view of history altered by that one story.
          It was all mostly a game. Who knew?
          And now look at us...just madness everywhere with no rhyme or reason to it.
          Seems to me when later asked about the comment, Khruschev said he meant they would economically "bury" us....Bodes

Comment

A lot of Vietnam vets are not liking this series, that should tell you something about it. I'll pass on Burns and the outdated Burns effect.

Comment

What I would like to know is why as humans we are so easily brainwashed? Time and time again throughout history we fail to see it coming. The VC didn't know what communism was, just that they were fighting the invaders, sad.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                A lot of Vietnam vets are not liking this series, that should tell you something about it. I'll pass on Burns and the outdated Burns effect.
                IS that because the NVA Vets got too much of a say?

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet;7940147[I
                  ]A lot of Vietnam vets are not liking this series, that should tell you something about it. I'll pass on Burns and the outdated Burns effect.
                  [/I]

Could you be a bit explicit as to the Vets' criticisms? What do they say they don't like about it.

Steve
                  ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

I'm shocked that you would have to ask me that.

Originally posted by Steve Sherlock View Post
                    [/I]

Could you be a bit explicit as to the Vets' criticisms? What do they say they don't like about it.

Steve

Comment

Yeah, like the traitor John Kerry.

Originally posted by Kelly w View Post
                      IS that because the NVA Vets got too much of a say?

Comment

I'm a Nam vet, and I'm ok with this work. Tom

Comment

I actually didn't like the NVA VC Vet stories myself. They made the US and NRVN armed forces look like idiots. Easy to follow, easy to kill etc, killing wounded. IF true or not true this was an American production and there should have been less of it IMO.

Comment

I watched the first two episodes this week on UK tv

First impression was it seemed to give more airtime to the Vietnamese, perhaps it will improve
                            No surprise i suppose given Mr Burns track record .... ?

Comment

If it were about WWII people here would be whining that there wasn't enough of the German point of view

Comment

I haven't seen the Burns series, but I always considered this to be the definitive documentary on the Vietnam war (and comparable to the "World at War", but for Vietnam):

https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-Ten-T.../dp/B00ARWXJ54
                                Attached Files
                                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X