No announcement yet.

Dunkirk - Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway however divisive the film has been its certainly made an impact on many....including all my friends, family and colleagues ( all non military geeks)

They all loved it for what is was and it has for them stirred an interest in wanting to learn more about Dunkirk and WW2

They are asking me lots of questions about how it all started , what happened next ....etc

If nothing else it has woken more people up to an incredible time in History

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post

I left the cinema completely bored and with no emotion what so ever
      Seriously, you didn't feel all warm and fuzzy when the Elgar music started up? You must be stone, man!

Comment

Originally posted by Woolgar View Post
        Anyway however divisive the film has been its certainly made an impact on many....including all my friends, family and colleagues ( all non military geeks)

They all loved it for what is was and it has for them stirred an interest in wanting to learn more about Dunkirk and WW2

They are asking me lots of questions about how it all started , what happened next ....etc

Ok, I suppose that's a Bonus !

I am off to Dunkirk again over the bank holiday weekend.

I did read that for the making of the film, they rebuilt a part of the eastern mole, is it still there ?

Comment

Originally posted by Biber View Post
          Seriously, you didn't feel all warm and fuzzy when the Elgar music started up? You must be stone, man!
          I am Welsh !

I admit I did a little, but there was no need for that was there ? In my opinion it devalued the importance of the event.

Dunkirk was not a victory

Comment

Ok, I suppose that's a Bonus !

I am off to Dunkirk again over the bank holiday weekend.

I did read that for the making of the film, they rebuilt a part of the eastern mole, is it still there ?

Not sure, but I must plan a visit sometime too

Comment

Not sure, but I must plan a visit sometime too
              You must Nick
              I have walked those beaches from one end to the other back in 2015 during the 75th Anniversary
              I have stood next to the wreck of the MV Crested Eagle where so many poor souls burnt a horrible death

Its sobering being on those beaches

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32867934

This article is not quite accurate

This is accurate
              http://dunkirk1940.org/index.php?&p=1_258

I had drinks with Mr Viner

The 'Crested Eagle' was a wooden Thames paddle steamer. At 6pm on the 28th May 1940, the vessel had 600 troops aboard as she left her mooring on the Dunkirk Mole. She came under immediate attack from German dive bombers and was quickly hit and set alight. To save as many lives as possible, the captain turned the vessel towards the shore and beached the blazing ship at Zuydcoote, east of Dunkirk. However, around 300 soldiers and crew perished in the inferno. At low water, the remains of the burnt out hull can still be seen today

If the director did indeed want to add emotion and reality to the movie, why didn't he include that ?........
              Last edited by Totenhead; 08-16-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I am Welsh !

I admit I did a little, but there was no need for that was there ? In my opinion it devalued the importance of the event.

Dunkirk was not a victory
                A cheap affect, VERY CHEAP, for sure. Up until that point I almost would have been willing to give a little appreciation to the director's "artsy" approach. But then came the cheap tugging at the heartstrings that turned it all into a sappy afterschool Hallmark movie special. Branaugh didn't help it any either.

Comment

Originally posted by Biber View Post
                  A cheap affect, VERY CHEAP, for sure. Up until that point I almost would have been willing to give a little appreciation to the director's "artsy" approach. But then came the cheap tugging at the heartstrings that turned it all into a sappy afterschool Hallmark movie special. Branaugh didn't help it any either.

I think what the director meant when he said he wanted it to appeal to " modern cinema audiences " is that they all live in a fantasy world, perhaps one could say the " computer game " generation.

Dunkirk was no fantasy

Comment

Nice one

I got bored watching the Revenant towards the end, not in the cinema
                    I thought the battle scenes in Revenant were very well done indeed. The whole film was ( only saw it on dvd) .

Comment

Good points. Personally I am just glad they keep making WWII movies, good or bad. And yes, this movie has generated lots of questions from my non-historian/collector friends and family, so that interest is a good thing.

I think we all need to just condition ourselves to have low expectations for future WWII movies with regards to historical accuracy. Hollywood is run by the "bean counters" now, so all that matters to them is selling tickets.

At least if we have low expectations from Hollywood, and a WWII movie is made in the future with historical accuracy, we will be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by eubank View Post
                        I thought the battle scenes in Revenant were very well done indeed. The whole film was ( only saw it on dvd) .
                        I thought it was good.....Visual effects were well done, and I think would be good to see on the big screen....The ending was somewhat predictable, but not enough to ruin my overall enjoyment of the film....Bodes

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
                          I thought it was good.....Visual effects were well done, and I think would be good to see on the big screen....The ending was somewhat predictable, but not enough to ruin my overall enjoyment of the film....Bodes
                          Indeed. And Tom Hardy in some very fine acting there too of course....in a far less heroic role !

Comment

With twenty pages of comments, I would say that the film was more good than bad. My son saw the movie for the second time. First time at our small local movie house-he though it was great; Second time at the Imax theatre. There it became "awesome". Not being into WWII history, he went to be entertained and was not disappointed. This movie kind of followed the lines of "Titanic", some history but with fictional characters.

Comment

I am off to Dunkirk the weekend

Watching the 58 film again ! cant be beaten

Comment

Lucky dude!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 25 users online. 0 members and 25 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X