Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with Gettysburg Comments

Originally posted by J.von Canon
    This program is interesting but sometimes I think they are a little weak on historical known facts;particularly the episode concerning Picketts Charge at Gettysburg.
    They were running with the idea that mass fire power stopped much of the Confederate attack short of the "copse of trees" that was the guide point for Pickett's Charge.Then they spent alot of time showing reenactors shooting muskets and the effects on targets(and,therefore men's flesh.)
    What they NEGLECTED to mention(or consider)was that an entire Union Brigade(the Philadelphia Brigade)fled from the Union line as the surviving Confederates approached and broke into the Federal position in the immediate area of the "copse of trees."
    I thought that was pretty weak rationale and an important ommission in their theory about that cause-effect that they claim to portray.
    I agree with J.'s comments on Gettysburg; I also thought the coverage/reportage on this particular battle was weak. The experts all agreed that Lee lost the battle on the first day, which in my opinion is incorrect. Also, this particular "series episode" was not covered as extensively (hardly at all, in fact) when it comes to the "new" field of battlefield forensics, and thus was not as interesting as either Monmouth (excellent) or the Somme (very good), two others I have seen in this series. I thought the Custer piece was good, but because this topic has been covered so much before I didn't find it as interesting. Having said that, the evidence pointing to a near-rout among the defenders was quite persuasive.

T.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X