Hacksaw Ridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status

My understanding is Sgt. York did not attain "objector" status because his Tennessee Church was not recognized as a "formal church". I may be wrong but I was told this by a friend who grew up in Tennessee and had actual seen Sgt. York in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Farrell View Post
      My understanding is Sgt. York did not attain "objector" status because his Tennessee Church was not recognized as a "formal church". I may be wrong but I was told this by a friend who grew up in Tennessee and had actual seen Sgt. York in person.
      My understanding also was that he earned his MOH as a combat soldier, unlike Doss who refused to handle a weapon, so very different circumstances

Comment

Great movie , if you get a chance go and see it.

Comment

[ATTACH]3702476[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3702477[/ATTACH]

Comment

Something seems a bit better with this one viewing the trailers.

Comment

Helps me better understand why vets in Europe dreaded being sent to the Pacific after Germany's surrender. I spent a 6 month deployment at Kadena airfield in Okinawa while in VP-9, a U.S. Navy antisubmarine warfare squadron. This was 1975-76 and they were still digging up stuff from the war.
              As has already been mentioned, a true story filmed brutally but realistically. Don't miss it.
              Best,
              Garry

Comment

Hacksaw Ridge

Hello,
                I saw the film on Veteran's Day Weekend and I loved it. Great movie and I agree about Fury being a joke. Very well done and I would even consider buying it.

Jody

Comment

Good film! Desmond Doss was from my hometown and every day I drive to work over the Desmond Doss Expressway and then later pass the Desmond Doss Day School. His story is well-known here, but this film really brings it to life. It deserved to be made and I hope it is a great success.

Comment

I agree that it was a decent movie. But why do they always have to have 300 soldiers all massed together in a 50 m2 meter area running at defended positions. Must be a Mel thing. Learned from other masters with the same Hollywood drama.

Comment

movie

Went to see the movie yesterday and found it not disappointing. Most every explosion was a typical gas can of flames and masses of troops squeezed together obviously not so realistic, but for cinema's needs had to be done to get enough people in the frame. Even Saving Pvt. Ryan had them too closely grouped together for the same reason. The most notable but minor slip-up to me was the court marshall scene where two or three officers had good conduct ribbons and I don't imagine them being former EM's. Doss's unique CO character was well established from the beginning and well portrayed I feel. At the end it was very good to have clips of the actual people speaking-including Doss himself- as it definitely adds to the what was just depicted similar to Band of Brothers interviews. It makes me want to know more about how he actually pulled off the truly unbelieveable feat of rescuing an amazing number of men without being killed. His accomplishment deserves MUCH more publicity for such determination to save life, not take. He offered up his life yet survived.

Comment

Will be seeing this soon and it sounds very good from reviews, and nominated for a good few Oscars so despite Gibson falling out of favour they couldn't deny him completely as he seems to have made a cracking film.

Comment

Have to watch this myself

Comment

I enjoyed the movie.

Based on what I've read Desmond Doss never held a real job after the war, his experience must have had an everlasting effect on him. Very sad what this man went through, lucky that he found a good wife.

Comment

I hope to watch it tonight. Nice to see it got such positive reviews. Jim

Comment

I'm not a fan of actor Andrew Garfield so I was expecting to hate this movie considering he's in nearly every scene but I was actually pleasantly surprised. The beginning does drag on a little with Garfield doing his usual annoying wide eyed Bambi routine but that's all forgotten once the action starts. The battle scenes are impressive although I agree that the area in which it all happens does feel a bit too condensed, like the size of a football pitch. It's not the greatest war movie ever, not even in the top 10 on my list but I enjoyed it none the less.

Which, by the way, is more than I say of Brad's new movie "Allied" which is a complete turd and one to avoid at all costs!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X