Saints and Soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark S.,

Which movie are you referring? Downfall or Saints and soldiers?

Paul

Comment

Just watched saints and soldiers... enjoyed it.. little slow in parts but good action scenes.

Comment

In Saints and Soldiers, I liked the Panzerfaust shooting, and the MP-44.

Steve

Comment

Just a note about the "rape" scene. If you speak German the movie is much better, I think. You note the guy is just toying with the woman, trying to scare her. His buddy wants him to get going and he replies that he will be there in a second, and you do not get the implication that he is going to rape her.

I think we as collectors sometimes get overly concerned with the uniforms and minutiae. The story here is about death and one's conception of the afterlife, among other things. This imagery is throughout the film. I found it interesting that the young American missionary-turned-soldier went to Berlin. Remember that this time of history is rife with the anti-religious third reich and the communists who were growing in Germany before the Fascists came to power. Conversion is another theme, on many levels. We see conversion to religion, but more importantly the conversion of an anti-German bigot to one who appreciates that everyone is a human being and deserving of some basic respect.

The uniforms, weapons, and vehicles are mere window-dressing for a deep and meaningful story.
          Marc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X