No announcement yet.

Deutschland 83.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the two episodes I've seen, It's worth watching when it does air in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by jerry c. View Post
      season 1 is available on amazon video

Thank you Jerry for the tip. I just ordered Season 1 on DVD through Amazon. $15.17, what a bargain!

Comment

It was on the "Sundance Channel" here in the States, though I viewed it on line. Found it very interesting and reminded me of the time I spent serving alongside the Bundeswehr. A friend who alerted me to this series in the first place (as he gets Sundance) said that there will be a 2nd season. I'm looking forward to it!!
        Attached Files

Comment

Brilliant to hear that there will be a second season. Really enjoyed the first season and the scene with the disc was hilarious.
          If it's even halfway accurate I can't believe that we're not all ash by now.

Comment

Although it is fun to watch and to reminisce about the Cold War (!) it is quite a ludicrous concept really. There is no way that a conscript DDR border guard JNCO could suddenly acquire the bearing, etiquette and knowledge required to be a junior officer and ADC for a BW general, not to mention his accent!

The décor, pencil moustaches, music, fashion is spot on though. Sonja Gerhardt is a stunner!

Comment

Going to knock one out after seeing that

Comment

Originally posted by darrenbate View Post
                Going to knock one out after seeing that
                LOL! There are 'better' ones from the same clip but I though I would try and keep it tasteful

Comment

Quite gritty episode last night, enjoyed it

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
                    Quite gritty episode last night, enjoyed it
                    Yeah, hardcore. Suddenly it's gone quite serious.

A couple of shocking bits....

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
                      Yeah, hardcore. Suddenly it's gone quite serious.

A couple of shocking bits....
                      Indeed, quite dark

At one point I had to look away, you may know which scene I mean !!

Comment

What an ending. Can't comment too much in case of spoling things.

The AIDS thing though I thought would be more relevant to the plot, seems to be more about placing events in time. As I'd have been ten then, AIDS was pretty scary.

The generals daughter looked better with mascara and I really wanted some retribution to the son. Not enough IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
                          The AIDS thing though I thought would be more relevant to the plot, seems to be more about placing events in time. As I'd have been ten then, AIDS was pretty scary.
                          Yes, the media did their best to make everyone believe that AIDS was as dangerous as the Black Death at the time, when in fact it was mainly limited to a few poofters and some very unfortunate recipients of infected blood. If AIDS hadn't affected so many high-profile people we would have barely heard about it.

As for Lt Edel, no doubt his bedroom activities would have caught up with him within a few years. I though that the ending was a bit underwhelming TBH, but when a drama is based on reality it has to stick loosely to the facts. Thankfully the end of the Cold war was underwhelming and not a giant mushroom cloud. Still an enjoyable series and trip down memory lane for us Cold War warriors from the 80s!

Comment

I don't really recall much in the media about Aids in 1983, I seem to remember it really hitting the headlines in 1987...

I do remember 1983 as water shed year possibly for the Gay movement so to speak.
                            We had Frankie Goes to Hollywood in the Charts and also Boy George, I hadn't really even thought about gay people up to that point

Enjoyed the series very much, Martin's original gf turned out to be a bit of a paranoid cow, it struck me how indoctrinated she was by the East German/ Soviet regime, reminiscent somewhat of the Nazi regime in Germany during ww2...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X