Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deutschland 83.

Hello.

Have any of you watched the German cold War drama series Deutschland 83?

I saw the first episode ( on C4 in the UK ) and it was very enjoyable.

The uniforms seemed good but can anyone comment on the DDR uniforms?

Very much looking forward to the next episode.

Chris.

I thought it's very good & well thought through so far.

I loved the 80's communist decor, costumes, 80's west german pop music etc

The production values are good (uniforms locations vehicles etc included) and overal the story so far seems credible enough.

Not sure how many train carriage assasinations were going on back then though !

The East German guards laughing their heads off at the book smugglers was a nice touch, you don't often see the human side like that. I suppose it was necessary for the story to have more 'humanised' Ost characters. Parts of it reminded me of 'Goodnight Lenin' more than 'The lives of others'.

I thought it was a nice touch how they showed the little things tripping up the plans, like not knowing how to transfer a call on a western internal phone network and so on. I'll be looking forward to the rest of the series.

Comment

Enjoyed first episode looking forward to the next one.

Comment

I saw all 8 episodes 5 month ago,very impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Mil-Archive View Post

I loved the 80's communist decor, costumes, 80's west german pop music etc

The production values are good (uniforms locations vehicles etc included) and overal the story so far seems credible enough.

Not sure how many train carriage assasinations were going on back then though !

The East German guards laughing their heads off at the book smugglers was a nice touch, you don't often see the human side like that. I suppose it was necessary for the story to have more 'humanised' Ost characters. Parts of it reminded me of 'Goodnight Lenin' more than 'The lives of others'.

I thought it was a nice touch how they showed the little things tripping up the plans, like not knowing how to transfer a call on a western internal phone network and so on. I'll be looking forward to the rest of the series.
          Yes, it was the little touches and detail that made it for me. The different word for orange for example.
          Like a good drama should, I had a desire to see Rauch/ Stamm succeed in his activities.

Does anyone know how popular it was in Germany? Was it more or less popular in the former East German States?

Comment

Originally posted by zizas View Post
            I saw all 8 episodes 5 month ago,very impressive
            Ah, you're ahead of us. No spoilers!

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
              Yes it was terrific! I was a 17 year old private soldier in 1985, newly arrived in BAOR, West Germany. The show was spot on for detail and brought back fond memories, as well as a sobering reminder that our life expectancy was 20 minutes in 4 Armoured Div if the balloon went up!

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
                Yes it was terrific! I was a 17 year old private soldier in 1985, newly arrived in BAOR, West Germany. The show was spot on for detail and brought back fond memories, as well as a sobering reminder that our life expectancy was 20 minutes in 4 Armoured Div if the balloon went up!
                And that is the reality of the Cold War. I remember as a kid the programmes discussing the areas that would be attacked. Not much of dear old England left ... and certainly not much of West Germany either.

I'm sure the invincibility one feels as a seventeen year old faded somewhat when the facts were communicated.

Comment

And that is the reality of the Cold War. I remember as a kid the programmes discussing the areas that would be attacked. Not much of dear old England left ... and certainly not much of West Germany either.

I'm sure the invincibility one feels as a seventeen year old faded somewhat when the facts were communicated.
                  Just watched last weeks episode on Catch Up.

Enjoyed it very much, now for this weeks

I was in Secondary School in the early to mid 80s, brings all the feelings back of the Cold War and the dark cloud of Nuclear War which seemed to be on all of our minds

Comment

Think I preferred the 1st to the 2nd episode, he has suddenly transformed into James Bond !

I will continue to watch it however

Comment

Originally posted by Totenhead View Post
                      Think I preferred the 1st to the 2nd episode, he has suddenly transformed into James Bond !

I will continue to watch it however

Ha, exactly what I thought. Still enjoyed it. The ninja maid was fun!

Comment

Ha, exactly what I thought. Still enjoyed it. The ninja maid was fun!
                        Yeah ha ha, I wasn't expecting that !!

Still enjoying it though !

Comment

Hello.

I saw the first episode ( on C4 in the UK ) and it was very enjoyable.

The uniforms seemed good but can anyone comment on the DDR uniforms?

Very much looking forward to the next episode.

Chris.
                          I like it too

Comment

Sadly, it's not being shown (yet) in the USA.

Comment

season 1 is available on amazon video

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X