Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gallipoli, Australian 7 part drama series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiwitedferny View Post
    Bugger off, Skippy....

And this is why I like Kiwi's.
    They can take some stick!

Comment

The series focused on Chunuk Bair, Lone Pine and the Nek this week, and it was done well. There was a strong NZ presence, including hand to hand fighting at CB. I think for the most part the early calls about this series were to harsh. With each episode the series is growing Into something worthwhile.

Cheers,

Jamie,.

Comment

I watched the first two episodes over this weekend and have mixed feelings about it. Apart from a filmmaker myself I will skip the technical part and share my thoughts as a Turkish audience.

I am amazed and happy to see that filmmakers decided somehow to leave the main story line and cut to the Turkish side and face the danger of changing the genre from drama into a documentary or docu-drama at best. For many years the Turkish side was omitted or represented as devils in the foreign made Gallipoli related projects.

First time ever in this project the Turkish soldier was represented with good intentions. But this good intention is where the real problem starts for me. For those who read about Turkey or even the Gallipoli Campaign would know how we put Mustafa Kemal in a higher place and be very cautious about how he is represented. Mustafa Kemal and the turkish soldiers had this weird foreign Turkish accent, apart from that Mustafa Kemal spoke the worst broken accent that ever filmed. I did not understand what he was speaking even thou it was filmed in my mother language. I know to a foreign ear it would sound just the same but I wish they had more Turkish advisors on the project.

My own film project has Australians in it and I don't cast British or American actors and tell them to speak in a phony Aussie accent, I cast Australians to play in their own roles. I expected this from this mini series that aim for the Centenary.

Maybe after watching the full series I will add or change some of my opinions. For the time being I wanted to share these with you.

Comment

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know 34,000 british soldiers were killed or died at Gallipoli.

I obviously knew of a big British presence but as it is revered (if that isn't a disrespectful term) so much by the New Zealanders and Australians I for some reason thought it was as a support to the Anzacs.

I think anything being made as long as it's done respectfully and staying within reasonable perameters of historical accuracy is a fine thing.

Comment

In Honor of ANZAC day.

Geat banter on this thread. Here is a link to the series Gallipoli on utube pt1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxyguO_WJ8Y

Never Forget
            Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X