No announcement yet.

SS German Cross in Gold Holders volume 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received my copy of Mark's newest Wiking GcG book yesterday. What has impressed me most are the after action reports describing some of the most edge of your seat combat reading that I've had the pleasure to read in a while. Great stuff Mark!
    Now back to the book!
    Tim W

Comment

SS German Cross in Gold, Volume 8

Greetings!!
      Another Excellent Book from Mark! Keep Up the Great Work! Always appreciated! Sincerely, DJB

Comment

This series is outstanding from the first volume and now to this very recently published volume number 8 (number 9 if one includes Mark's book on the German Cross in Silver = all by R James Bender Publishing).

The high standards of scholarship, research from primary sources, presentation and photographic material continues with this volume. The title of this series of volumes understates the actual important contents of the books. First thing I did when I received this book was to go to an end section - that is : the Addendum. I especially love reading the additional information Mark has unearthed which further expands and updates the information of the previous volumes. The 5 SS Panzer Division 'Wiking' is a very interesting division to study. A so-called "classic" division of the Waffen-SS, it fought exclusively on the Eastern Front in some of the most important and difficult battles. Unlike the Leibstandarte and Das Reich and probably Totenkopf, good and thorough published research on Wiking as a division and it's personalities is lacking. Mark's volume 7 and now volume 8 fills an important gap and consequently these books are a must have for anyone with a serious interest, not only on the W-SS, but the Eastern Front = the most important Front of the Second World War. The struggle on the Eastern Front comes more to light when reading the combat exploits of these high award holders. It is not a book about tanks, planes and uniforms – it is about men at war in the purest sense. With that a fact I would love to see a similar series of books on the "classic" divisions of the Red Army and their high-award holders. Does something like that exist in the English language? Unfortunately I'm sure we'll just see more books about Jochen Peiper, Battle-of-the-Bulge and D-Day. Therefore a massive thankyou to Mark Yerger for working so hard on a subject less popular to the masses but so very much more important.

Perfection is an illusion and as with any books it has it's errors:
        - Page 171. The photo shows August Dieckmann and not Franz Hack next to Helmut Pförtner.
        - Page 309. I am almost positive that the man next to the divisional commander Felix Steiner is Paul Albert Kausch and not Günther Jahnke. Can anyone confirm this?

Overall the book is a must have to anyone’s Second World War or Third Reich or Military library

To conclude, I don’t know if Mark Yerger can further raise the bar in his future works but I believe his next published work (the Totenkopf Division) will prove to be his masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by pimberg View Post
          This series is outstanding from the first volume and now to this very recently published volume number 8 (number 9 if one includes Mark's book on the German Cross in Silver = all by R James Bender Publishing).

The high standards of scholarship, research from primary sources, presentation and photographic material continues with this volume. The title of this series of volumes understates the actual important contents of the books. First thing I did when I received this book was to go to an end section - that is : the Addendum. I especially love reading the additional information Mark has unearthed which further expands and updates the information of the previous volumes. The 5 SS Panzer Division 'Wiking' is a very interesting division to study. A so-called "classic" division of the Waffen-SS, it fought exclusively on the Eastern Front in some of the most important and difficult battles. Unlike the Leibstandarte and Das Reich and probably Totenkopf, good and thorough published research on Wiking as a division and it's personalities is lacking. Mark's volume 7 and now volume 8 fills an important gap and consequently these books are a must have for anyone with a serious interest, not only on the W-SS, but the Eastern Front = the most important Front of the Second World War. The struggle on the Eastern Front comes more to light when reading the combat exploits of these high award holders. It is not a book about tanks, planes and uniforms – it is about men at war in the purest sense. With that a fact I would love to see a similar series of books on the "classic" divisions of the Red Army and their high-award holders. Does something like that exist in the English language? Unfortunately I'm sure we'll just see more books about Jochen Peiper, Battle-of-the-Bulge and D-Day. Therefore a massive thankyou to Mark Yerger for working so hard on a subject less popular to the masses but so very much more important.

Perfection is an illusion and as with any books it has it's errors:
          - Page 171. The photo shows August Dieckmann and not Franz Hack next to Helmut Pförtner.
          - Page 309. I am almost positive that the man next to the divisional commander Felix Steiner is Paul Albert Kausch and not Günther Jahnke. Can anyone confirm this?

Overall the book is a must have to anyone’s Second World War or Third Reich or Military library

To conclude, I don’t know if Mark Yerger can further raise the bar in his future works but I believe his next published work (the Totenkopf Division) will prove to be his masterpiece.
          Page 309 photo came from Jahnke and by his ID and as source trust it is him with Steiner.

Thanks for elaborate comment of help to those not yet owning it, while brief accolades of course appreciated as well.

Best,
          Mark

Comment

M.Y's. DKIG Vol.8 = G.V.F.M. B.I.N. or regret it.
            As brief as I can make it Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by behblc View Post
              M.Y's. DKIG Vol.8 = G.V.F.M. B.I.N. or regret it.
              As brief as I can make it Mark.
              I haven't a clue what the abbreviation means, hopefully the smile symbols indicates good.

Somebody, with a clue, will hopefully save money studying the documents in volume 8 though I am not a militaria book writer. Same with "Allgemeine-SS" and a several others, I consider them "dual-purpose" history texts.

Back to work; all day on a dark, handwritten, carbon copy, of a paragraph written by a "Totenkopf" Bataillonsführer. Crap drives me nuts, my cat has better handwriting.

Comment

My copy of the book arrived a few days ago. It´s awesome Mark !
                You`re doing a great job !

There are also a few soldiers from my area I had no idea of .

It`s great to see Lotze inside the book which estate is in the hands of a forum member.

Also Nikolussi Leck who fought his last battle with Kampfgruppe Wiking in my area.

Keep up the great work, and take a break when you need it ( after Totenkopf Volume ).

Best from Germany

Falli

Comment

Originally posted by Reich91 View Post
                  My copy of the book arrived a few days ago. It´s awesome Mark !
                  You`re doing a great job !

There are also a few soldiers from my area I had no idea of .

It`s great to see Lotze inside the book which estate is in the hands of a forum member.

Also Nikolussi Leck who fought his last battle with Kampfgruppe Wiking in my area.

Keep up the great work, and take a break when you need it ( after Totenkopf Volume ).

Best from Germany

Falli

Thanks for nice comment. "Totenkopf" will be three volumes, is larger than I thought with all data I have and want it to contain. Volume I on schedule to release in October, will hand in volume II in August. Then disconnecting for a break before finishing volume III.

Volume I is already on Amazon but I would wait for publisher's new website to go up in June.

Best,
                  Mark

Comment

Gentlemen,

If a good book is worthy to be printed, it is also worthy to be bought and worthy to be read.
                    The books of Mark C. Yerger are in that category.

For volume 7, I did visit Herr Eberhard Heder at his home in Germany.
                    Mark had asked me if it was possible to visit Herr Heder, to show him the man's biography as it would be printed in the book, and to ask him if he had any adjustments or improvements to it.

Herr Heder did know Mark from previous contacts by letters from many years ago, he even went to his cabinet with the numerous large binders with correspondence and came back with Mark's letters (and Herr Heder's own replies to Mark) and said to me, Yerger is a very serious historian and author, he comes up with historical facts and writes the truth.

While others just want to write a book, and annex left and right their own addition and interpretation to it, Yerger goes for historical accuracy and without fuss.

Herr Heder was very pleased with the historical accuracy how Yerger had written about him.

For me it was an honor to be able to visit Herr Heder for a second time.
                    The man still has an outstanding memory, is a great source of information, and the hours were over before I knew it.

One can find the German Cross in Gold and KC winner Hauptsturmführer Eberhard Heder biography on page 282 - 287 of volume 7.

Not that long ago I was very happy to have my volume 8 delivered at my door.
                    Again and as always a Yerger book loaded with information and photos one can't find anywhere else.

I am glad to have his books in my own "library", the content has not found its equal (the bar is very high) printed on high quality paper, hardcover and good binding, they are the standard now and in the future.
                    The next generations will have as much utility of Yerger's books as we now.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Comment

Same author different title, have just placed an oder with Helion for marks TK Volume 1. "TOTENKOPF. THE STRUCTURE, DEVELOPMENT AND PERSONALITIES OF THE 3.SS-PANZER-DIVISION VOLUME 1".

They estimate delivery in mid October2015.

Comment

http://www.helion.co.uk/new-and-fort....html?___SID=U

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X