• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ordered a copy going on the reviews
    Can't wait to read this one
    I'm sure it will be an excellent addition to my book shelf

Comment

Book arrived today
      I am completely blown away by this book.
      Its a campaign I know little about and I a m eager to learn.
      This book is so informative and well written.
      Although I'm only on chapter one I am finding it hard to put the book down.
      Thanks to Jean-Loup for this most excellent book

Comment

Some positive words recently published in "Avion" magazine.
        Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting

Comment

Is Admiral Heinrich Ruhfus mentioned in the book? I'd love to get a copy!

Comment

"Is Admiral Heinrich Ruhfus mentioned in the book? I'd love to get a copy! "

The book can easily be ordered on amazon.
              Ruhfus is not mentionned as he was captured in Toulon, and the book is about the Nice and Cannes region.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Bringing this back to the top, as it is that time of year again, the time of the anniversary of the Liberation of southern France.

Comment

I will be off the net on 15 August, so am bringing this back up to the top now.
                    The book has an almost five star rating on amazon.

JL

Comment

I finaly got to making an English version of the video showing one of the main discoveries my book is about, the discovery of 14 missing Germans in a forgotten mass grave in Villeneuve-Loubet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4vETUSuoNI&t=1s

JL

Comment

Hi Jean-Loup,
                        The link is not working, it says video removed by user. Did it not load properly?

Best Wishes,
                        Simon

Comment

Indeed, like every time I upload a video, I noticed a few imperfections, so quickly uploaded a new version and killed the first version in the egg. I had forgotten I had posted the link here...
                          Here is the link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=190s&v=yseqYvqIqGY

JL

Comment

Another one of the stories that is documented fully in the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3u4ZIlgsiM

JL
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have just found this very detailed review of my book, that includes many photos. It feels nice to read something like that about one's work, written by a complete stranger: http://www.amps-armor.org/SiteReview...=&df=&p=1&s=-4

The reviewer's conclusion:

Conclusion

This was a long slog, but worth every step -- I have been personally and professionally rewarded by the journey.

Pros: The organization of the book is excellent as is the readability. The writing is excellent, very fluid yet very economical. The editing is excellent - I found 2 errors, "excepted" instead of "accepted" and "Chapter 3" instead of "Chapter 13", in over 500 pages - I mention these only to show the high quality. It's a big book and no one appears to have cut any corners in the publication chain which made reading a pleasure not a chore. Quality-wise it is worth every penny.

Cons: I raise two items more as suggestions, perhaps only for prospective readers, than negatives. As noted in my review, it's an area and action that not many are familiar with, even ignored or minimally addressed by some of the histories. I certainly am "geographically challenged" about the area other than what I might see on the Tour de France broadcast every year. The author provides the briefest of introductions to the "big picture" and that somewhat piece-meal. There are maps in the end-covers and at some chapter/section headings but they are more artistic than useful. Neither of these are show-stoppers.

Summary

At the end I went back to the Foreword and the Introduction and can only say that the author has done what he set out to do. I was not at all familiar with this piece of DRAGOON, indeed References 1-3 barely mention it, but now I know much more. More importantly, page after page, I began appreciating the "memory book" aspect of it. As I looked at the photo and story selection, at some point the phrase, not the book/movie, "we were soldiers once and young" came to mind and to dominate my thoughts.

Highly Recommended if you have any interest in DRAGOON, airborne operations, a country under occupation, or in historical method and study.

Comment

A glowing review indeed, if this is the Mr Ratzenberger then maybe there is a film in it!

As said before JL this is now the seminal reference for the Operation Dragoon and the fighting around Nice and the Mediterranean coast.

Well done.
                                S.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X