Autopsy of a Battle, the Liberation of the French Riviera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
    An email from one of the few survivors of the 509th who actualy read the whole book though he is over 90:
    Hi,

well, for a 90 year old, he must have some strength in his arms because the book is enormous
    I just received my copy of the book today in the post. Writing it must have been a labour of love. So, many thanks to Jean-Loup, for the liberation of the Riviera is a subject that I know little about. Looking forward to reading it...

regards

macleod

Comment

" he must have some strength in his arms because the book is enormous"

Indeed, but he still has the arms of a paratrooper apparently!
      Please tell us your thoughts when you get through the book.

JL

Comment

I am getting this book

Owen

Comment

My copy arrived today. I'm quite familiar with this part of the world and have visited several of the battlefields and other locations included in the book which is why i was keen to learn more.

JL has done an incredible job in what can only be described as a labour of love. Rarely do we come across books that cover all sides in detail and the way he has done it, by telling the many different stories through the voices of the people themselves and also through the many artifacts he and others have found over the years works wonderfully.

The size of the book and many of the 'then and now' photos reminds me of the excellent 'After the Battle' books, but JL has gone further with the many personal stories.

This book is for anyone interested in WWII history, equally the American side, German side or French side. Get it, you will not be disappointed!

Bravo Jean Loup, bravo! it was well worth the years of waiting!
          Last edited by Simon O.; 08-16-2014, 09:44 AM.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks Simon.

The local press in Nice made an article about the book for the 70th anniversary of the landings last week.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jean Loup

I just finished your book and enjoyed it very much. It is an extremely thorough study and well written. For me, it is a book about people and I like that you covered combatants from all sides and without prejudice. You must have gone to immense trouble getting photos from the families. I look forward to your next book.

regards

macleod

Comment

Thanks, you are a quick reader.
                I indeed sent several hundres, or even thousand letters to various family members of the soldiers, in oder to locate unknown documents and photos. The success rate was very slim.

Comment

Thanks, you are a quick reader.
                  Well, when a book is well written, it is hard to put down. I learnt a lot from this book .
                  Now I am getting on with Mark's Wiking book...

regards

macleod

Comment

An article published in the German hometown of one of the killed soldiers.
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is a book that deserves recognition. Not only for the sheer amount of research and detail that Jean-Loup has put into it. But also for so completely laying out the events so clearly, untangling the myths from the facts.

To be able to put names and faces to the fallen, of both sides and to do so with such respect is worthy indeed.

Best Wishes,
                      Simon

Comment

I was very honnored to read the following comments on my book by famous 101st historian Mark Bando on the trigger time forum:

"This book is massive and I can't believe all the photos and detailed info the author has amassed in less than a decade of research. The published results of his inquest could easily have been the result of a lifetime of research.

Few other author/researchers could have compiled this amount of information, if they gathered photos and info for a lifetime. The author is a doctor and his approach to WWII history is literally like that of an autopsy. He has found not only death reports and death photos of members of the German military and French Maquis, he has even recovered the remains of many forgotten victims of 1944 fighting, via battlefield archaeology. As such, this book is a grim and graphic reminder of the tragedy and human cost of war and perhaps such details are not for everyone. His approach however, is conducted from an angle close to my heart. The fact that he lives in the area where the events took place allow him to immerse himself in the people, villages and battlefields where the Dragoon invasion took place. Up until the last decade, this aspect of the ETO war had been largely overlooked and
                        forgotten by history buffs. Since little was written about it, the events of Dragoon remained obscure, misunderstood and poorly documented.

Now, with just the publication of two landmark books, Mike deTrez's 'First Airborne Task Force', a gigantic pictorial, loaded with vintage photos and color pics of artifacts, and now 'Autopsy of a Battle' by Jean Loup, readers interested in learning about this different world of combat can inform themselves with just the contents of these 2 definitive works. I personally love this book and am taking a long time, to work my way through it. I would recommend it, with the caveat that you need to know what you are getting-in to if you buy this book. This is real, gritty in your face history and it might prove to be more than you can handle or want to know. Is it a happy book? Heck no, don't open it expecting anything other than a detailed and honest accounting of the many tragic events that transpired as the Germans were forcibly driven from that region of France.
                        The word awesome is routinely over-used, to describe things in the 21st century, but this massive compendium does deserve that appellation. Taken as a whole, the research and presentation are impressive and overwhelming. It's 8 pounds of unadulterated history.
                        Congrats to Jean Loup, on this huge achievement."
                        Last edited by Jean-Loup; 11-02-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

When googling around, I was pleased to find that my book is mentionned in the references of a recent Forensic Archaeology text book:
                          Attached Files

Comment

For anybody in the Nice area, I will be signing my book on May 9th of this year.
                            Attached Files

Comment

For anybody in the Nice area, I will be signing my book on May 9th of this year.
                              JL,

Congrats! As you know an annex in my upcoming book (which should get published later this year) is devoted to your efforts as a military archaeologist. Jim

Comment

70 years ago today.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X