No announcement yet.

looking for a Battle of Berlin book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these last couple of titles in English?

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo View Post
      Miguel Ezquerra "Berlin a vida o muerte" is what you're looking for.
      Also Saint-Paulain "dead Lions" is a good reading
      Spanish and French waffen SS volunteers accounts

Paolo
      The Miguel Ezquerra book has lots of questionable related information it is imo more fictional then factual.

Rene Chavez
      www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Chavez View Post
        The Miguel Ezquerra book has lots of questionable related information it is imo more fictional then factual.

Rene Chavez
        www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com
        Probably right but still a good reading.
        I guess they are both available in English but not actually sure

Comment

An update...

Reading le Tissier's "Race for the Reichstag" and it's truly exquisite and I recommend it to all...

I also received "For Europe" and have thumbed through the first several pages and it also looks like a great read but first i want to finish le Tissier.

Comment

I'm not sure if available in English language but maybe you ask your dealer.

Willi Rogmann
            -----------------------------------
            Einzelkaempfer der Leibstandarte
            Traeger der Nahkampfspange in Gold
            ISBN 978-3-00-0029399-3

A 17year old voluntary of Leibsstandarte joined war in Greece in 1940
            and returned back to Berlin by march 1945.

He tells about the fighting at Alexander Platz, Potsdamer Platz, Reichstag
            and finally Friedrichstrasse / Weidendammer Bruecke / ... . He managed to
            leave Berlin and reached home near Magdeburg. A very impressive book !

Guenter Birnbaum
            --------------------------------------------
            "In fufzig Jaarn is allet vorbei"
            ISBN 3-931559-84-x

Mr.Birnbaum is telling his own story as a member of Hitler Youth. His home
            is near Alexander-Platz. So he took part in the fighting around - Police building,
            Hertie department store, the T34 in descent to sub station, Red town hall,
            Deutscher Dom, Monbijou park, ...

The book tells the story about fighting and dying explicit ..

Comment

I was always interested in Rogmann's book after reading the quite large section from him in le Tissier's book "With Our Backs to Berlin." It was really good. Unfortunately my German isn't good enough yet to tackle an entire memoir. Hopefully it gets translated, or hopefully by German improves!

Comment

can anybody elaborate on the SS holdouts in... i believe was a bank building.

i seem to recall a quote from chuikov saying that a memorial should be built honoring their brave defense.

i could have sworn it was in "the bunker"... but for the life of me i can find no mention of it anywhere.... or on the net.

Comment

Originally posted by jerry c. View Post
                  can anybody elaborate on the SS holdouts in... i believe was a bank building.

i seem to recall a quote from chuikov saying that a memorial should be built honoring their brave defense.

i could have sworn it was in "the bunker"... but for the life of me i can find no mention of it anywhere.... or on the net.
                  Maybe Reichsbank ? Located at "Werderscher Markt". The building is today
                  a part oft the German foreign office.
                  At close range to Reichskanzlei (appr. 700m) direct beside river Spree. I
                  remember a photo with a scene near the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Denkmal with a lot of
                  destroyed Russian tanks- this is over the road.

Comment

Originally posted by SmKL View Post
                    Maybe Reichsbank ? Located at "Werderscher Markt". The building is today
                    a part oft the German foreign office.
                    At close range to Reichskanzlei (appr. 700m) direct beside river Spree. I
                    remember a photo with a scene near the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Denkmal with a lot of
                    destroyed Russian tanks- this is over the road.
                    i'm gonna have to keep looking. if it was adjacent to the chancellery, that would suggest troops from the charlemagne.

Comment

There's also some detail on Rogmann in the book Soldiers of the Leibstandarte, by Thomas Fischer. The information given suggests that he was an outstanding assault troop leader, so he likely has plenty more good anecdotes to relate than just the ones already published about Berlin.

Comment

I own "Soldiers of the Leibstandarte." It's on a big pile of "books to read" on top of my desk. Maybe I'll bump it up my list. Right now I'm reading "Knight's Cross Panzers," and after that I was going to read Tieke's "In the Firestorm of the Last Years of the War." Maybe I'll read "Soldiers..." first!

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus Richter View Post
                          I was always interested in Rogmann's book after reading the quite large section from him in le Tissier's book "With Our Backs to Berlin." It was really good.
                          Le Tissier also wrote a follow up of sorts to "With Our Backs to Berlin". I believe that book is called "Death Was Our Companion, Final Days of the Reich". Both are good reads in my opinion.

Comment

I agree. Death was our Companion is also excellent!

Comment

he seems to have made a career out of the battle for berlin.

race for the reichstag

with our backs to berlin

death was our campanion

it looks like the the race for the reichstag is a history of the battle... and the other 2 are firsthand accounts.

which one would you start with?

Comment

Originally posted by jerry c. View Post
                                it looks like the the race for the reichstag is a history of the battle... and the other 2 are firsthand accounts.

which one would you start with?

I started with Our Backs to Berlin, and then moved on to Death Was Our Companion, which I think Le Tissier intended to be more or less a sequel. It might be more feasible to start with Race for the Reichstag to get an overall feel for those last days, then read the other two for the firsthand accounts of those who fought through them.

Both of these books should be easily available and not to expensive. Some of the books on this subject are hard to find and have a high price tag, so I started with ones that are readily priced and available. Hope that helps.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X