looking for a Battle of Berlin book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for a Battle of Berlin book

So I finished Tieke and the short portion of his book (Tragedy of the Faithful) covering the final battle of Berlin. So next I read Beevor's Berlin book. I found it to be a "lightweight" book after reading Tieke.

I want better detail of the battle with more individual stories. For example I want to know HOW MANY SS-Charlemagne we in the old bank on Friedrichstrasse... I want to hear about using Panzerfaust to blow thru walls... I want a blow by blow recount of crossing the Wiedendammer Bridge at 2AM.

I want DETAILS!!

Got a good book for me? Is there an English version of Tieke's Berlin book?

You found Beevors book lightweight ??

Cant help you mate

Nick

Comment

Check out For Europe, by Robert Forbes, for exhaustive detail on the French Waffen-SS in Berlin.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
        Check out For Europe, by Robert Forbes, for exhaustive detail on the French Waffen-SS in Berlin.
        just ordered it, thank you!

Comment

I thought Beevor's book was very good, and Cornelius Ryan's "The Last Battle" still holds up well, IMHO.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
            I thought Beevor's book was very good, and Cornelius Ryan's "The Last Battle" still holds up well, IMHO.
            Me too.

Originally posted by FranzJon View Post
            just ordered it, thank you!
            Me too
            At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

FranzJon is absolutely correct, Beevor's work is lightweight plus purely politically motivated. One well known Eastern Front histprian called Beevor's Stalingrad book social history, not military history. I'd say he was spot on, as one may expect more from a career military officer.

I haven't seen it but I wonder if Tony LeTissier's Berlin Then and Now has detailed material?

Comment

Bloody Streets: The Soviet Assault On Berlin 1945 by Stephen Hamilton, as well as his The Oder Front: Generaloberst Gotthard Heinrici, Heeresgruppe Weichsel and Germany's Final Defense in the East, 20 March-4 May 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
                  This was recommended to me and is great for a Battle of Berlin read.

There is also a book I can't remember the name of and I'm at work so can't check about a swedish W-SS man in Berlin.

Anyone?

Comment

The Swedish book is probably Erik Wallin's Twilight of the Gods, about his time with SS-Panzeraufklärungs Abteilung 11 during 1945.

Comment

That's it, thanks.

A good book as well albeit more a personal account and from his experiences. How he was helped to freedom was interesting.

Chris.

Comment

The Fall of Berlin, by Anthony Read and David Fisher.

Regards,
                        Kent G.

Comment

Originally posted by Waffe View Post
                          The Fall of Berlin, by Anthony Read and David Fisher.

Regards,
                          Kent G.
                          I will try that too, I just picked up leTissier's "Race for the Reichstag"

Comment

Originally posted by FranzJon View Post
                            I will try that too, I just picked up leTissier's "Race for the Reichstag"
                            By the way... "Race for the Reichstag" is amazing... it appears le Tissier is the master of the Battle of Berlin.

Comment

Miguel Ezquerra "Berlin a vida o muerte" is what you're looking for.
                              Also Saint-Paulain "dead Lions" is a good reading
                              Spanish and French waffen SS volunteers accounts

Paolo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X