DCM reference book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all

Well, I know beyond a doubt that he wasn't Canadian--the whole family was from around Glasgow...I even know the address. The cap badge has really got me scratching my head;the only thing I can think is that someone years ago put it on his badge-less Glengarry for aesthetic purposes (the cotter-type pin was missing by the way).

The interesting thing is that I was always told he was in Argyll & Sutherland (British army).

I checked and checked the LG and saw a reference to a J. Park of Gordon Highlanders awarded the MSM......I recall years ago hearing that he picked up a mortar or arty shell that landed in his trench, and removed it, so I don't know if that would get an MSM in those days.

When I was a kid it was always "your great uncle James had the VC" so it shows you how things get mixed up.

Originally posted by Adam J. Haslett
    I checked my DCM roll for Canadians in WWI and could not locate anyone by this name unfortunately. Will have a go at the MM list and also check for MiDs for you...more to follow.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

An 'immediate' (as opposed to long service) MSM is certainly plausible. They were awarded for 'lesser' acts of gallantry (if there's such a thing), usually in rear areas, but sometimes if the Division's monthly alottment of DCMs & MMs had dried up. So, yeah, maybe the MSM has mutated in to a DCM over time: "Send three & fourpence..." "Advice on an enema at once!"etc.

Comment

As with most of my comments I'll say that I'm probably wrong as this insignia is outside my period of interest, but I think that the 91st (Brit Argylls Regt) wore a badge of "91" & a boars head, in brass, on the ostrich plume headgear pre amalgamation with the 93rd. Try checking the name with Brit Medal Index Cards for Brit A & SH & Gordons, prior to considering checking soldiers papers of likely candidates? (checking the papers is far more costly than checking MIC if you use a researcher). Assuming that the papers have survived then they'll have an address on for him. That MSM reference seems worth pursuing. Check the Brit MICs for A & SH & the Gordons if the checks of Canadian Scotties does'nt throw anything up, or if you're confident enough that he was a Brit Scot rather than a Canadian Scot.
        Last edited by leigh kitchen; 04-03-2004, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X