DCM reference book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DCM reference book?

My great uncle received the "second highest" award for valour in WW 1 (DCM? MM?) although I can not find any reference to the award in the Gazette, so I don't know if it's lore...I do know there is a book of DCM recipients however. Does anyone have this?

Such a book does exist for the DCM, although the volume for WW1 seems to be very hard to find as I've been looking for it for ages. Searching the LG can be difficult at the best of times but if he won the DCM he's more than likely in there - with a full citation. If he won the MM he'd be listed only as having won it with the relevant date. How did you do your search? If you used his initials you might have a harder time finding him. When I first did a search for my Grandfather's citation, I used his initials and nothing came up. Finally I just did it by last name only - and had to search through quite a few pages - but I did find it eventually.
    Also, what regiment was he with? You might be able to find out through the regimental museum - many of them have websites nowadays and they can be pretty helpful.

Good luck!
    Geoff

Comment

In regards to the above, he was with Argyll & Sutherland (his glengarry cap badge has a "91" with a lion's head--I gusess the two were merged). Anyway the name is James Park in case anyone has an obscure reference laying around...

Comment

h.

The badge you describe is not the Argylls of the British Army. It's possible that the badge you describe is the Canadian Argylls, maybe this is throwing your search off.
        Jim

Comment

I can confirm what Jim has told you - the Argyll and Sutherland Regt of Canada was formed as the 91st Regiment (Canadian Highlanders) in 1903. During WW1 it became the 19th and 173rd infantry battalions of the CEF. It became the Argyll's in 1920. The cat on the cap badge is actually a leopard (part of the family crest of the first CO, MGen W.A. Logie).
          The regiment exists to this day as a reserve unit in the Canadian Armed Forces, based in Hamilton, Ontario - a city on the shores of Lake Ontario about 40 minutes south west of Toronto.

Having said all that, your great-uncle's DCM citation should still appear in the London Gazette as all CEF honours were listed there during WW1.
          Hope this helps...
          Geoff

Comment

Try contacting the Regimental Association for more info... here's a link to various regimental contacts...scroll down the left hand menu to "Contact Us".

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada

Comment

Canuck website.

Try Canuck's forum at

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/28173

Canuck main website.

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/

Comment

Clarified

Thank you all for your assistance. But the above uncle was from Scotland and the cap badge was different than the one pictured on the Candian link...So I double-checked on the internet; evidently in the old days these particular regiments (British Army) were the 91st Argyllshire Highlanders and 93rd Sutherland Highlanders...

Comment

Originally posted by Greeves
                  The cat on the cap badge is actually a leopard (part of the family crest of the first CO, MGen W.A. Logie). Geoff
                  My father was Canadian Argylls for a while in the 50's - he's always maintained that the badge (I've still got his) represents a wolverine, isn't a wolverine more of a dog type creature?

Comment

Originally posted by h.fenet
                    ...... the cap badge was different than the one pictured on the Candian link...So I double-checked on the internet; evidently in the old days these particular regiments (British Army) were the 91st Argyllshire Highlanders and 93rd Sutherland Highlanders...
                    The Argylls would be a boars head, the Sutherlands a cat.

Comment

LG entries - check the one records with the dtaes & locations.with the

If you're going to check the LG entries, make sure that the records checked are the ones with the hand written annotations that give dates & location of the award winning action (sorry, can't remember the reference number) rather than theprinted LG that omits those details.

Comment

Yes the Scottish Argylls were the 91st Regt, but that changed in 1881 when they merged with the 93 Regt of foot to become the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's). Their capbadge incorporates both the boar's head and the cat - but I can't find one that incorporates a 91 - except for when they were the 91st of foot.

Here's the homepage for the Regimental Museum at Stirling Castle. They may be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                          My father was Canadian Argylls for a while in the 50's - he's always maintained that the badge (I've still got his) represents a wolverine, isn't a wolverine more of a dog type creature?
                          I would have said it was dog-like, but a quick search of the web tells me that the wolverine is the largest land-dwelling member of the weasel family. I'd say the Canadian Argylls' badge looks more like a leopard...

Comment

I checked my DCM roll for Canadians in WWI and could not locate anyone by this name unfortunately. Will have a go at the MM list and also check for MiDs for you...more to follow.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

There is a James Park who was awarded the MM with the CEF:

PARK, J, 117462, PTE(L/CPL)CAMC 8 F.A. FEB 11,19

However having checked his attestation papers the above was born in Canada so likely not your man. In any case his serial number indicates that he originally joined the 12th Canadian Mounted Rifles, raised in Calgary, Alberta. Obviously he was later transferred or attached to the Canadian Army Medical Corps, 8th Field Ambulance, with whom he was serving when awarded the MM.

I can find no record of a member of the CEF of this name having been awarded a MiD.

Hopefully a search of the Gazette archives will reveal other possibilities...

Cheers!

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X