BBC Battle of Britain - The Real Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Battle of Britain - The Real Story

There have been a lot of programmes on the TV lately about the BoB. Most covered the same old ground.

This programme was a bit different though and well worth watching. Dispelled a lot of myths and looked at the battle from the Luftwaffe's point of view.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...he_Real_Story/

"Not available in Your area"

Comment

Ditto

Comment

Is BBC iplayer only available in the UK? that sucks!

Comment

Repeated tomorow 11pm bbc2, ecellent program dispelled a lot of myths

Comment

I really enjoyed it ! I hope it comes out on DVD !

Nick

Comment

Great documentary. I love the sence in the diary archives when the commentator talks about the tendency in England to still view Germans as the archetypal Battle and Commando comic villians and how the real person emerges from the diary of the Staffel Kapitain of JG2 he is reading.

Nice to see the vet with his 57ers as well
              Last edited by Jonathan M; 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Watched this on BBC iplayer on Sunday evening and have to say that I enjoyed it very much indeed.

Nice to see a new and objective angle being portrayed, the diaries of the JG2 Staka were worth watching the programme for on their own.

Well worth a look while it is still up on the site.

Regards Richard.
                Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

?

Originally posted by Jonathan M View Post
                  Great documentary. I love the sence in the diary archives when the commentator talks about the tendency in England to still view Germans as the archetypal Battle and Commando comic villians and how the real person emerges from the diary of the Staffel Kapitain of JG2 he is reading.

Nice to see the vet with his 57ers as well
                  Wut you say? Germans viewed as People and not Fire Breathing Hun's who seek to Rape, Pillage and seek World Enslavement to the Germanic Cause. The BBC is such a letdown.

Comment

nice to see Hajo Hermann still about and with all of his original medals framed in the background,also the 94 year old luftwaffe vet flying a 108 -- incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      Wut you say? Germans viewed as People and not Fire Breathing Hun's who seek to Rape, Pillage and seek World Enslavement to the Germanic Cause. The BBC is such a letdown.
                      Indeed, truly shocking to hear folks talking about Germans as if they are humans instead of the monsters really are!

Comment

JanSSNederland
                        Indeed, truly shocking to hear folks talking about Germans as if they are humans instead of the monsters really are!
                        Jan , if I might quote something I read last night from Ludovic Kennedy's " Sub -Lieutenant" which was published in 1942 , when the war was really at its height , Kennedy wrote this in 1941 when Britain was alone and the outcome of the war was far from certain.

"I think that all of us were willing to acknowledge the gallantry of the enemy. For the past five days the crew of Bismarck had been almost continually at action stations. She had been shadowed by our cruisers for nearly two days,shadowed and attacked and attacked by aircraft and, the night before the battle, subjected to a torpedo attack by the Fourth Flotilla. All through the night her crew must have known that dawn would bring the British Fleet and, for most of them death. I do not think you will find one British sailor who will not admit that Bismarck fought a very gallant fight".

I would also refer you to the 1974 series "The World at war" in which one British pilot described how he viewed the Battle of Britain as his shooting down aircraft , it was never about killing the crews, another pilot told how a German airman came to have his parachute caught on the wing of his Hurricane and how he took care to get him off as gently as he could.

This idea of the Germans being monsters is more than a little dated 36 years dated at least if not 70 years dated, certainly my late father who met U Boat crews at the end of the war felt that as a sailor he had much in common with them .

Comment

Originally posted by RamJet View Post
                          "Not available in Your area"
                          As with everything in IT there's a work around.

I use a service called My Private Network, it basically gives me a VPN to the UK and thus a UK IP address..hey presto, access to iplayer, 4oD and the others.

Best £5 i ever spent and a god send for us expats.

https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/

oh and for those that use bit torrent it's available for download at UKnova.com (a perfectly safe bit torrent site only for UK TV programs)
                          Last edited by Simon O.; 09-30-2010, 11:58 AM.
                          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
                            Best £5 i ever spent and a god send for us expats.
                            https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/
                            Nice one, the service I was using cost 10 quid a month

Comment

I watched it.. learnt few things i didnt know. Good and insteresting and what ever some think of the germans if it was not for wwII this forum would be crap
                              Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X