Valkyrie Movie - Stauffenberg's uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I am not complaining about the uniforms as such I just have never seen a photo of a uniform on this forum that matches Von Stauffenbergs!

I personally like the elaborate bullion collar tabs of the higher grade (not General) officers, not many Hollywood movies even bother doing that or respect the fact that a lot of officers went and invested money in their own kit to stand out a bit more.

As for the movies themselves, its finally good to FINALLY see an interest in Germans, and its a start. Hollywood went from horrible material for its own kind like "Combat", "Remagen", and even "Longest day" was lacking in realism but when the right guy hit the right mark like Speilberg now has, every future film learns and will try to step up to the bar.

It can only get better.

who knows one day we'll see a movie about Kursk... I hope it happens in my lifetime.

Comment

i would prefer downfall than this.

Comment

they did their homework on uniforms, even the telephone on the desk, the pass airplane was great,, EXCELLENT show!

Comment

If you wanna see some funky uniforms, try the shows that got many of us "kids" started in this hobby... "Combat" and "Rat Patrol".....

Comment

Originally posted by John Huff View Post
            If you wanna see some funky uniforms, try the shows that got many of us "kids" started in this hobby... "Combat" and "Rat Patrol".....
            Rat Patrol Check out the safety goggles from the local hardware store guys...and what's with that red elastic band on the cap?
            Attached Files

Comment

Its clear that Stauffenberg habitually wore a lighter coloured tunic than his breeches. He also had a reputation for being somewhat rumpled or dishevelled - perhaps a mark of individuality or an indication that he felt comfortable and superior enough not to give a damn. This did not come across in the film - Cruise was turned out pretty smartly.

I was going a model of him a few years ago and a friend of mine was going to interview Ewald Heinrich von Kleist for another project. Kleist was in the Bendlerblock on the night of Juy 20 and knew Stauffenberg well. He is the only survivor of the officers who took part in the coup attempt.

I sent along a series of questions re. Stauffenberg's appearence and uniform/decorations worn on that day. He made special mention of the lighter coloured tunic that Claus wore and also noted that he was wearing his eye patch (note that the July 15 photo posted earlier in this string makes it clear that he wore his glass eye in Hitler's presence).

In my opinion, the producers nailed the uniform and the movie in general stands amongst the most accurate of historical pictures ever made on any topic...likely due to the influence of advisor and Stauffenberg expert Peter Hoffmann.

Attached - a pic of Claus and Mertz in Russia showing Claus' lighter tunic and the 'sloppyness' of an open pocket.

Colin
              Attached Files
              Last edited by crfraser; 08-12-2009, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Yes movies have come along way since the days of Combat, etc. As time goes on it will continue to improve. I enjoyed Downfall, and this new movie Valkyrie.

Comment

About 20 years ago I had an opportunity to buy one of the german tunics used in the TV show Combat. I passed because it was so hideous. The price was not bad and in retrospect I kind of wished I had bought it as a novelty. Accuracy in film making has come a LONG way from those days!
                  best wishes,
                  jeff
                  Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Sometimes on film sets the advisors or consultants words fall on deaf ears for a number of reasons. The film about HJ, Swing Kids, used Philip Baker as a consultant. If you look closely the uniforms aren't too bad except for the Gebietsdistrict triangles with red lettering and border. Story is that Baker told them this was totaly innacurate but they had already outfitted numerous uniforms with the horribly bad insignia and did not want to spend more budget money to change them. I saw a set of this insignia on ebay some months ago and the seller was quite surprised to learn that it was a prop from a film.

Comment

[QUOTE=corporalSteiner;3426994]in the first few minutes of downfall i saw rubber soled jackboots during a bomb raid and thought...guys, you have blown it. i still think that. to my knowledge german troops' jackboots had nails. indeed, if this were true, i thought the error unforgivable.
                      as for the bomb plot film, badly cast classic rent a mob thespians earning their cash amid a flat slow trudge of an unrealised plate mat of a movie. why oh why or how oh how can hollywood continue to fail at german war films? id suggest you dont waste money on the dvd. bargain bin rot imo.[/QUOTE

THAAAAAAPPPPPPP
                      I enjoyed both films and they were alot better then some of the films I seen come out of England in the past about WW2 and their BAD passing off of German Uniforms
                      Joe

Comment

Movie.

I bought the DVD and wished I had seen the movie at the pictures,this is the first film starring Tom Cruise that I have seen, I thougt that the American accent might spoil the film(no offence intended)but I thought he gave a very good and understated performance, plus the fact they used some of the original locations in Berlin made it even better.I particular liked the opening scene with the FLAK gun firing on the approaching aircraft-excellent!As for the uniforms we have to remember that film is ment for the genaral public and not collectors like us so it could have been alot worse.I'd give it 9 out of 10.Regards Hans.

Comment

Guys, I recently bought the GERMAN LANGUAGE edition of the DVD, its region 2 but I managed to rip it onto an avi file complete with subtitles that windows media can play. There is a an Austrian guy who sells them on ebay, I highly recommend him.

When you see it, you spend about 5 minutes telling yourself that "its not the voice of Tom Cruise" but the dubbing sync is so good that after those 5 minutes, it feels like a German-made film and you forget all about that.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X