Lakeside Trader - 2nd Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a Good Book to Read...Any Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a Good Book to Read...Any Suggestions?

We're in for a storm and want a good read....looking for a compelling and hard-to-put down book. Love history...all aspects but mostly war in the Pacific and Europe.

Thanks in advance, Eric

can you elaborate a bit more

Comment

I just finished these three and really enjoyed them:

The Lions of Iwo Jima, Haynes & Warren. ISBN-13:978-0-8050-8325-5
      Against All odds, Perrett. ISBN 0-304-35456-2
      Military Mavericks, D. Rooney. ISBN 0-304-35679-4

Best Regards,
      Zach

Comment

If you like sniper stories try
        War Of The Rats
        by David L. Robbins

I could hardly put it down

Comment

The tunnels of Chu Chi is a great read...

Comment

Thanks, guys! I like survival stories or personal accounts. Small unit actions and naval or maritime history. Some big thumbs up for me is Shadow Diver's, Gene Sledges With the Old Breed, In Deadly Combat and I Boat Captain to name a few....

-Eric

Comment

I was going to suggest "In Deadly Combat", an excellent read. I enjoyed " Shattered Sword", which covers mainly the Japanese side of The Battle of Midway. "Danger's Hour", about the kamikaze atack on the USS Bunker Hill was good, despite the many errors by the author, he couldn't screw up the compelling stories. "Quartered Safe Out Here", by George MacDonald Fraser, the author of the Flashman series, describes his service with the Border Regiment in the Burma Campaign. In that same vein, "Bugles and a Tiger', and "The Road Past Mandalay", by John Masters, a Gurkha regular officer.
              For the German point of view, try "Panzer Commander", by Hans von Luck. In the Pacific again, "Pacific War Diary", by James Fahey. He served on USN cruiser through most of the war.
              Not a WWII book, but compelling to me was "To the Last Salute", by Georg, Ritter von Trapp, of "Sound of Music" fame. He actually was one of Austria-Hungary's top u-boat commanders in WWI, and the descriptions of service aboard those crude old boats is quite interesting. Also for WWI, to me it's tough to beat "Old Soldiers Never Die", by Frank Richards.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Hello Eric,

Just in case you have not read it before, I would suggest, With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa, by E. B. Sledge. It is a well-written, personal account of a Marine's experiences in the Pacific War. The guy was a 60mm mortarman, assigned to K Company, 3rd. Battalion 5th. Marine Regiment. Excellent book and hard to put down.

Best regards,
                Tom
                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Ooops!

Sorry Eric!

Just noticed that you mentioned having read, With the Old Breed.
                  Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

"Iron Coffins" (U-Boat); "Stuka Pilot" (Rudel); "Samurai" (by Zero ace Sakai) are excellent first person accounts. On a strategy/tactics, "It Never Snows in September" is a good book on Arnhem from the German point of view.
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thanks so much for the comments! That's what I was looking for, now time to search amazon.com for those books!

Thanks again, Eric

Comment

Eric,

You may wish to read a book titled, Sole Survivor, by Ensign George Gay. The book focuses on the loss of Torpedo Squadron Eight at the battle of Midway.

If you are into aviation history, I highly recommend, Lady's Men, by Mario Martinez. It is the tragic story of the loss of the B-24 "Lady Be Good" over the Libyan desert in 1943. Read it... your life will never be the same.

Best regards,
                        Tom
                        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

A Terrible Glory

Not a WWII book but a new Custer book. Tons of research went into this book and well documented with notes and references. An easy read. Didn't know Marcus Reno was reburied at the National Cemetery near the Little Big Horn Battlefield. He was appointed a Brevet Brigadier General towards the end of the Civil War probably through political connections of his wife's family.

Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by gmailander@char View Post
                            Not a WWII book but a new Custer book. Tons of research went into this book and well documented with notes and references. An easy read. Didn't know Marcus Reno was reburied at the National Cemetery near the Little Big Horn Battlefield. He was appointed a Brevet Brigadier General towards the end of the Civil War probably through political connections of his wife's family.

Gary.
                            Thanks Gary!

I'll have to get that one. I have done a lot of reading on G.A. Custer and the Battle of the Little Bighorn. I was not aware of this new book.

Best regards,
                            Tom
                            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

NEW BOOK on PLAINS Warfare !

Hello All....I know off subject, but I now have signed copies of my book Plains Indians Regalia and Customs available for $49.95 +3.95 postage. Postage to Europe is $28....sorry. It is published by Schiffer which I am sure many of you are familiar with.
                              It is a no nonsense , politically incorrect view of Plains Indian warfare.
                              You can email me to order or send total due to my PayPal address

badhand@badhand.org

or to my home address>
                              Bad Hand
                              POB 132
                              Deadwood,Or.

Thanks , BH
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X