HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Forgotten Soldier Movie is now Official!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=leibermuster;2920069]I think the important thing about Cross of Iron is that it is almost the only movie made that had a German as the main character who was 'sympathetic' and not 'evil'. And a tough smart one at that.

Huh!? Was not the main character James Coburn? This movie was made not long after he did his Schlitz Lite commercials. In my opinion horribly miscast. I remember the collective groans that were made by me and my collecting buddies when we found out he had the lead role.

The movie has it's moments, but I don't believe it merits the hallowed distinction that many give the flick.

If I am not mistaken, the Bertold Brecht quote that is used at the movies beginning is one of the best parts of the movie.

" Rejoice not in his defeat ye men, for though the beast has been defeated (slain) the bitch that bore him is in heat again."

Immer

Comment

Coburn

Well, I enjoyed Cross of Iron immensely - and liked the German version, which I saw in a Kino in Ansbach, Germany in 1982 - much more than the English language version. Plus, they show more of Senta Berger's fantastic backside, but I digress...
      Coburn was far too old to play Steiner, who was a young man in the book. He tried to play a serious German character, but couldn't quite pull it off, though you had to admit he gave it a good go. Just about everyone else, EXCEPT David Warner (the adjutant) was perfectly cast. Stransky was very good, except his hair was too long - same goes for just about everyone in the cast, with their hair too long - way too long, but it was the 70s after all. And that stupid Russian cap that Kruger had on - just silly. He would have been shot in the first 10 seconds in a firefight wearing that. It was still a very good shoot-em up and the Germans were quite sympathetic, with the Russkis (except for the kid) being flesh-colored pop-up targets. But it never measures up to the book itself, which I think is an overlooked masterpiece of literature - aside from the Third Reich genre, Cross of Iron ought to stand side by side with a Farewell to Arms, All Quiet on the Western Front and Red Badge of Courage - like them, the book Cross of Iron verges on the poetic, and provides keen insights into human nature and what war does to men (and women). I like to re-read it every now and then, just like The Forgotten Soldier, to remind myself of what it must have been like to have been a German soldier in those days and how lucky we are to be living in today's world (though we might be sliding back into some kind of new dark age, if the world's economy continues to decline).
      Cheers,
      Doug Nash

Comment

I can't see any movie version doing justice to the Forgotten Soldier book. It would take an impossible amount of money and a very talented director like Ridley Scott or Peter Jackson involved to get even close to capturing it. I don't hold out much hope for it if the Black Book's director attempting to do this, I didn't think that film was up to much. I found it quite cheesy and clichéd.
        Some books shouldn't be put on the big screen IMO. The result is bound to end in disappointment. For want of a better word, the "canvas" and horror are just too immense for the screen. It only works when you close your eyes and imagine it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nash View Post
          Well, I enjoyed Cross of Iron immensely - and liked the German version, which I saw in a Kino in Ansbach, Germany in 1982 - much more than the English language version....
          I generally agree with you about Cross of Iron. For it's time, it was way ahead of other war movies in realism and authenticity. That's not to say it holds up 100% over time as better movies come out, but it's a good memory at least.

The biggest gripe I have about COI is something that is common to many historical movies in the English language. That is the use of British speaking actors to represent foreigners from Roman emperors to German officers. You are right that it is silly when actors won't cut their hair to play an historical character, but the wrong accent is just as jarring if not more. The problem is that for American audiences, foreign authority figures have to speak Brit to be believable.

I'm preparing to grit my teeth for Valkyrie - it's gonna be a repeat of COI with the main character speaking American and the rest are speaking Brit - and they are all supposed to be Germans! A linguistic abortion...

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
            I can't see any movie version doing justice to the Forgotten Soldier book. It would take an impossible amount of money and a very talented director like Ridley Scott or Peter Jackson involved to get even close to capturing it. I don't hold out much hope for it if the Black Book's director attempting to do this, I didn't think that film was up to much. I found it quite cheesy and clichéd.
            Some books shouldn't be put on the big screen IMO. The result is bound to end in disappointment. For want of a better word, the "canvas" and horror are just too immense for the screen. It only works when you close your eyes and imagine it.
            Don't forget "Der Untergang", though.

Comment

I am so glad I check the book/movie threads....
              I really hope this movie gets made. This is one of my favorite books, and have been hoping for a movie to be made. Hoping not to get bashed but, I hope the 2 WWII movies coming out(Defiance, and Valkyrie) do well at the box office. Maybe it will help push this to fruition. Otherwise, until it actually gets into production, there is a chance it could get axed. Right? Also, I actually really liked Cross of Iron. I read the book and of course the movie isnt quite as good, but...it would have been quite the long movie by now standards to try and fit all that in. Someone mentioned books/movie and named Gettsyburg. I know it was not a "Movie", but "Band of Brothers" was exactly like the book, and what I imagined in my head as I read it. Simply amazing...I think its time to break out my copy of "Forgotten Soldier"
              Mike
              Hey, found a link to someone that apprears to have beat them to the punch...lol. Hey, it might do better then the real one...
              http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...d.php?t=102161
              Last edited by k9mike; 11-28-2008, 10:32 PM. Reason: More content

Comment

Is this not Sajer?
                Attached Files
                Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WWI got started.

Comment

Or perhaps this is Sajer?
                  Attached Files

Comment

I thought this was Sajer
                    Attached Files

Comment

A classic book that I hace read sveral times, hopefully it will be made if it trins out to be a success they might even do a film about "The Devils Guard" another cracking book

Comment

No - this is Sajer.

This is the real Guy Sajer aka Mouminoux.
                        Cheers,
                        Doug Nash
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sajer Then and Now

And as a private in WWII...taken while in a POW camp, as evidenced by the removal of insignia, which was usually forced on prisoners while in the camps.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Doug Nash; 12-05-2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Looks like a PW pic of Mr Minnie Mouse rather than wartime. No cap insignia for one thing.

Now that Heath Ledger is dead, I guess he is out of the running. Brad Pitt is too old and Angelina won't let him out of her sight. Tom Cruise has already become a Prussian officer , so he won't do. Boy George has been arrested. I guess we will have to go with Spiderman.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Barry Pepper is no spring chicken, but there is a resemblance.
                              Attached Files
                              Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WWI got started.

Comment

I imagine that he never wanted a film made of his book because they would instantly turn his character into some gung-ho, swashbuckling hero.
                                The book after all is about an ordinary young man caught up in the Nazi machine of total war on the Eastern Front. Not some "James Bond" style actor defeating half the Soviet army single handed
                                So i hope they do give it the human touch.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X