Sniper on the Eastern Front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sniper on the Eastern Front

Picked up this book by Albrecht Wacker on the memoirs of Sepp Allerberger from Waterstones on a weekend trip to the UK. Any of you guys read it? Whats your thoughts?

Cheers

Jonathan

I liked it a lot. Interesting if you compare it with Guy Sajer of the forgotten soldier, how the two main characters represent the direct opposites found in combat soldiers and their reaction to war. The other interesting fact is the similarities and conditions experienced in the environment of the war on the Eastern front. Jacques

Comment

I thought it was a great book. I could not put it down. Very graphic desciptions of war on the eastern front seen through a rifle scope.....

Comment

Strangely i put it down after less than one chapter. Memoirs are my favourite war books, but the opening of this book seemed to be taking it in a direction i'm really not interested in seeing in a memoir. Semed to be trying to shock the reader.
        I think "In deadly combat" is still the best for me.

Comment

I just finished "in deadly combat", I liked a lot. I think reading the three books and combining them into a single perspective, gives a fantastic insight into the War in the East from different perspectives. The officer, the warrior and the survivor. Three very different characters found in every army and combat situation. Jacques

Originally posted by Anthony N View Post
          Strangely i put it down after less than one chapter. Memoirs are my favourite war books, but the opening of this book seemed to be taking it in a direction i'm really not interested in seeing in a memoir. Semed to be trying to shock the reader.
          I think "In deadly combat" is still the best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
            I just finished "in deadly combat", I liked a lot. I think reading the three books and combining them into a single perspective, gives a fantastic insight into the War in the East from different perspectives. The officer, the warrior and the survivor. Three very different characters found in every army and combat situation. Jacques
            Good point Jacques, having read In deadly combat & The Forgotten soldier i really should pick Sniper....up again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan M View Post
              Picked up this book by Albrecht Wacker on the memoirs of Sepp Allerberger from Waterstones on a weekend trip to the UK. Any of you guys read it? Whats your thoughts?

Cheers

Jonathan
              Hello Jonathan,
              There was an earlier thread on this book around two years ago.
              I had some questions that I sent to Herr Allerberger then but never got a reply.
              I had understood he was in poor health so was not very surprised.
              But my questions still remain unanswered.They had to do with sniper training and one scene described that I thought improbable.
              But since he could not/would not comment I'll leave it alone...
              As to the "Guy Sajer"thing;most people(including myself)are certain this thing is a work of fiction written in the imagination of a "ghost writer"...

Comment

J

There is a lot of controversy about Guy Sajer and i wonder how the book stands up to historical scrutiny. As to 'Sniper' i've not yet got to it as im bogged down reading D'Este's Battle of Sicily. Ill be picking 'Sniper', and going back to the Wehrmacht, up when im done

Jonathan

Comment

I thought Sniper on the eastern front was a good book.it is very graphic in places but if thats what happened then it should be told as it is.imo exceptional detail even in the non action parts it really brought alive the horrors of total war and complete disregard for human life.Memoirs are also my favorite type of book to read i also enjoyed berlin dance of death a great book.A excellent soldiers view of utter chaos and madness in berlin.

Comment

Add "Blood Red Snow" to the list of must reads. Th author was in more or less the same area and time as Sajer. IMO it is the best of the lot. I think it is really important to view and read these books in the same context, because it cover a wide spectrum of personalities and experiences against the same backdrop. It also makes it easier to evaluate and interprete individual books. Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                      Add "Blood Red Snow" to the list of must reads. Th author was in more or less the same area and time as Sajer. IMO it is the best of the lot. I think it is really important to view and read these books in the same context, because it cover a wide spectrum of personalities and experiences against the same backdrop. It also makes it easier to evaluate and interprete individual books. Jacques
                      Agreed

Comment

I'm not surprised when people try to contact "Sepp Allerberger" and receive no response....
                        J. von Canon, what address did you use to send questions to him?

I've entered a couple of discussions on different forums that concern "Sniper on the Eastern Front", and most people that have read the book (which I found riveting, by the way....) seemed to have missed the part in the prologue where Albrecht Wacker states that "Sepp Allerberger" is a fictitious name, used to protect the identity of the actual subject of the book.

I had a rather spirited discussion with a guy who was selling "autographed photos of Sepp Allerberger" and said that he had "known Sepp for years".....

I can't be alone in having read the part of the prologue that says:

"German marksmen - even in their own country - are considered as wicked killers. Because of this, it has proved necessary to protect the subject of this study by keeping his identity anonymous. Many of the names in this book are likewise fictitious, but the story is real.
                        The subject of this book we will call 'Sepp Allerberger'..."

Has the man known as "Sepp Allerberger" actually come into the light to answer questions and sign photographs as his alias? If so, please send information on how I can contact him, as I have a number of questions that I would like to ask, as well......

Cheers,
                        Bob.
                        I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Greetings to all -

I just purchased this book, "Sniper on the Eastern Front" through an internet book dealer today. It was their last hardbound copy in stock, and I am looking forward to its arrival, and my ablility to read through it. From some of the posts here on this thread, it sounds as if it should be a good read.

Frank

Comment

I have had contact with Herr Sepp Allerberger. I believe his memoir to be the truth and he has been very gracious with me. This was several years ago and he was taken ill and had to be hospitalised. So yes Mr. John Cannon, it is not surprising he could not answer you. But I am fully convinced of the authenticity of his autobiography.

Comment

I have no doubt that the man AND his story are real, but as the author CLEARLY states in his prologue, the NAME he chose for the subject of the memoir is an alias, used to protect the true identity of the subject.
                              I'm at a loss to understand how people are "having contact" with the man, when the name "Sepp Allerberger" is fictitious.

How does one track down the real address of a man, who used an alias for purposes of privacy? I'D certainly like to know.....

Bob.
                              I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X