No announcement yet.

Marc's Flak Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The $ 32.- is nothing you can fault anybody for. The cost is around $ 28.- and I have to pack it and need all that material to do so in a way the book is not damaged.

$ 125.- are right now Euro 84.-! Frank's book - as an example because it was the first in that "new scientific series" - did cost (and still does) Euro 90.- = $ 133.- w/o shipping.

The reason for the price is:

- the print/binding quality which is extremly good with Franks, Toms and mine
    - the low number of books printed
    - full color adds immensely to the cost

If there would be a market for 20,000 books, the price would be a lot less.

But look at it this way: If you invest $ 125.- in my book and avoid buying a fake RK for $ 7000.- you are far ahead. The same applies for the Flak book and Tom's Close Combat book. All are priced lower than one badge in question.

And they are fun to read and look at!

Dietrich

Dietrich
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

And we are talking many years of hard work. This does not take a weekend - my book took THREE years to do. OK, not full-time, but still a lot. Tom's book caused him to spend MANY weekends in the office working on it - I know because we often collborated on weekends. And if you think I am making money on this you are dead wrong - I will lose money on it. We all already have!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Rawls View Post
        I can't speak for Frank, but it sounds as though the hobby was not at the top of his list of priorities. I agree 100%. Hobby.
        Frank will return, The best always come back. Marc looking forward to the book and putting it on the workspace shelf with all theothers! Mine will be coming out soon also! Its called "Slinging Zink,What not to do around females VOL1 Attracting the Fakes" The first Volume will center on The Balloon Obs Badge!
        Iam Uncle Sam
        That’s who Iam
        Been hiding out
        In a rock and roll band

Comment

I fully understand the various reasons given and my comments were not a criticism of the authors. I have Frank's book and have recently got Thomas Durante's CCC book and have also spent a fair bit on various Bender's and Williamson's books and would like to buy others but these high prices are a turn off.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryG View Post
            I fully understand the various reasons given and my comments were not a criticism of the authors. I have Frank's book and have recently got Thomas Durante's CCC book and have also spent a fair bit on various Bender's and Williamson's books and would like to buy others but these high prices are a turn off.

Terry from what I understand even from Frank Self Publishing a book you lose money. As naive as it sounds, I think these guys barely break even.
            Iam Uncle Sam
            That’s who Iam
            Been hiding out
            In a rock and roll band

Comment

Terry,

I understand. But like Dietrich said, the materials, low production run, etc, plus the fact we pay for the printing, and all the time. Heck, the book has been a turn-off for my wife too. I haven't gotten laid in ages...

Marc

Comment

Its not the book marc,,,and dont believe that "Motion of the Ocean" myth!
                Iam Uncle Sam
                That’s who Iam
                Been hiding out
                In a rock and roll band

Comment

Sad but true. Still, I look forward to your book Dion. Thumbs up to the BOB!

Comment

BOB= Book of Books?
                    Iam Uncle Sam
                    That’s who Iam
                    Been hiding out
                    In a rock and roll band

Comment

Balloon Observer Badge!

Comment

No! Book of Books you meant!
                        Iam Uncle Sam
                        That’s who Iam
                        Been hiding out
                        In a rock and roll band

Comment

Marc's Book

I finally finished my in-depth read of Marc's Flak Badge Book and was very impressed. I also thought that a combined effort of many who frequent this form was, indeed, a bright spot displaying the friendship among the collector's group developed on line for the good of all. Well researched, great photography, combined history and period photos with representative badges by manufacturers during the life of the badge and orders and certificates really makes the work come alive and gives the collector a good guide for authentification. The only thing I wish Marc would have added was an evaluation guide for the makers and the variants. Even though this outdates the day it is written, it still gives the collector a guide on comparing rarity and value that doesn't change with the prices of the day.
                          So, if you don't have this book yet and collect Luftwaffe badges, don't hesitate on buying this great work.
                          Reference books are not going to set the world on fire with sales or low costs. I don't think the Wall Street Journal or Ophra are going to feature any of our works. When I started writing over 20 years ago, Tom Johnson gave me some very good information: The one thing you can depend on when writing books on the collectibles of the Third Reich is you won't get rich, but they will continue to sell long after the novels of MOST of the writers of today are long put to rest.
                          Tom was correct. My first work on German Helmets is in its ninth printing and is still selling as strong today as when it appear on the scene. I just sent 25 more to Rex Reddick this week, so it keeps me busy and interested in doing further titles if my wife ever lets me get away from the daily business routine at Weinand Militaria. She is the CEO.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X