X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flags of Our Fathers- Opinions

Achtung! Major Spoilers Ahead!

Hey all,
    So, what did you guys think about the new movie: Flags of Our Fathers? In my opinion, it was a great movie. To start off, the movie's "eye candy" looked really cool, including the computer-generated animations of the battleships firing their main guns and the interior view of the planes strafing Mt. Suribachi. I thought that the landings also looked really authentic when you compare them with actual landing photos and films. The "landing beach" which was in Iceland is seemlessly blended into the computer-generated Mt. Suribachi in the backround. "Eye candy" aside, I thought the movie told the stories of the Flag Raisers, all of the flag raisers, really well, especially how we all basically, but somewhat unknowingly, capitalized on their tragity to raise money for the war. I was hoping the 1st Flag Raising would be mentioned, and I was not dissapointed. It is not neglected at all. The story-telling throughout the entire movie is just beautiful. The story flip-flops between the battle and events after the battle ended. Some people might think this is confuing, but if you know enough about the battle, you should be able to stay on top of the story.

Improvements that could be made are pretty minor. I think the sound quality could have been better (this may or may not have been because of the sound quality in the theatre). The battle scenes and some of the dialouge seemed kind of quiet. Also, when Iwo Jima is being bombarded, the main characters are standing on the deck of a troopship and are completely unaffected by the concussions of 16in. guns of battleships that are only 2000yds. away (approximately?). In the scene where the 3 surviving Flag Raisers meet President Truman, "Doc" Bradley isn't using crutches, like he was in real life (see the photograph during the credits). I think this was done to hide the fact that "Doc" Bradley was wounded until the very end of the movie. Also some of the explosions (such as the one that kills Mike Strank) seemed a little small for the caliber of shells that caused them.

Overall, this is a very good movie, one you really start to appreciate once you leave the theatre. After the movie ended, practically everyone in my theatre started to leave as soon as the credits started to roll. Then the picture of the real "Doc" Bradley appeared on the screen and everybody stopped. They stood where they were and watched the rest of the photo-montage until the credits ended. The shot of the memorial on Iwo Jima with all of its klinking dogtags was really moving.

Bottom Line: No Spoilers
    This is a fantastic, accurate movie which not only tells its story very well, but also does so in a moving, reverant fashion. This movie desearves to go to be ranked with other great WWII movies like Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, and Stalingrad. I believe this movie is a good tribute to not only the men who served in Iwo Jima but in WWII as a whole. See it, if you haven't already.
    Last edited by MauserKar98k; 10-23-2006, 01:12 AM.

Mauser, I agree; good movie. but there were some technical and historical inaccuracies as well as a more narrow theme than the book had. You might want to check out the comments posted here: [url]http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181927[/url

I'm not sure what you mean by "Major spoilers ahead!" and "No spoilers"....

Comment

Originally posted by Homer Hodge View Post
      I'm not sure what you mean by "Major spoilers ahead!" and "No spoilers"....
      A "spoiler" is something that could give away a part of the movie to someone who hasn't seen it yet. "Spoilers Ahead" just means if you haven't seen the movie yet and you want to, don't read ahead, becuase parts of the plot are disgussed.

I saw the other "trailer and stills" thread and I thought I would make my own solely for what people thought about the movie.

Comment

Mauser, Thanks; I had never heard that expression before, but it makes perfect sense.

Comment

I liked it, it was a bit depressing, but a story that needed to be told.

I was especially moved at the end when the credits were rolling people started leaving, and everyone stopped in thier tracks when the real photos of all of the guys came up. Everyone just stood in reverent silence.
          http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

Wish There Was More Action

I herd it was only 30 mins or so of the battle at one time,the rest was in flash backs,i was hoping for it mostly being the civi stuff at the start and end maybe.And maybe the japanese one will have more action and be on the island mostly too.
            Last edited by Fallschirmjaeger; 12-13-2006, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Bad...

...ass

Comment

Hello to all,
                I just went to see the movie today. I wish it would have had more battlefield action and less of the bonds tour. I thought that all of the battle sequences were very well done. F4U's looked great! Uniforms, equipment and weapons all looked authentic. My father was a Marine in WWII and the Korean War. He fought on Iwo Jima, and I wish he would have been able to go see the movie with me. Unfortunately, he passed on earlier this year.
                Best regards,
                Tom
                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
                  Hello to all,
                  I just went to see the movie today. I wish it would have had more battlefield action and less of the bonds tour. I thought that all of the battle sequences were very well done. F4U's looked great! Uniforms, equipment and weapons all looked authentic. My father was a Marine in WWII and the Korean War. He fought on Iwo Jima, and I wish he would have been able to go see the movie with me. Unfortunately, he passed on earlier this year.
                  Best regards,
                  Tom
                  Sorry for your loss.

What a man to lose.

Comment

Read the book, the battle was a small part of the book. My problem with the movie is it had no correlation to the book. No pre-war history of the characters. The book was never billed as a "Iwo Jima" story.
                    Last edited by JaimeH; 10-27-2006, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JaimeH View Post
                      Read the book, the battle was a small part of the book. My problem with the movie is it had no correlation to the book. No pre-war history of the characters. The book was never billed as a "Iwo Jima" story.
                      Oh thanks i forgot they where doing in from a book,but more action could have been added still.
                      (And off topic, did we always have the multi-qoute as i did not even notice it till now,and it works fine ).
                      Last edited by Fallschirmjaeger; 12-13-2006, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
                        Hello to all,
                        Best regards,
                        Tom
                        My condolences about your father tyanacek, another good veteran gone. You've got to be really proud of what he did, fighting in the Battle of Iwo Jima, not to mention 2 seperate wars like he did. I can relate, I lost my father this last March. He served on the USS Kitty Hawk (CV63) at the end of Vietnam. We both have fathers we should be proud of, both because of what they sacrificed to serve their country and of what they sacrificed to better us as sons. May their legacies live on.

Comment

Originally posted by MauserKar98k View Post
                          My condolences about your father tyanacek, another good veteran gone. You've got to be really proud of what he did, fighting in the Battle of Iwo Jima, not to mention 2 seperate wars like he did. I can relate, I lost my father this last March. He served on the USS Kitty Hawk (CV63) at the end of Vietnam. We both have fathers we should be proud of, both because of what they sacrificed to serve their country and of what they sacrificed to better us as sons. May their legacies live on.
                          Amen, and thank you so much for your condolences. And may I extend to you, my deepest sympathy to you and yours for the loss of your father. May they rest in peace, and may we always remember them and live up to the high standards and values that they taught us. A sincere thank you also to K98 man.
                          Best regards,
                          Tom
                          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

This is probably not the best place to post this stuff, but I just feel the need to post it here and now. Please forgive me if this should be posted elsewhere. I want to show a few of the items that my father brought back from the war in the pacific during WWII. As I mentioned earlier, he was a U.S. Marine and fought in both WWII and the Korean War. Iwo Jima was one of the islands on which he fought, and these items were in his possession on that island. My father hardly ever spoke about the war, but on rare occasions he would tell me a few of his experiences. One thing I remember him saying was the same thing that came out in the movie. "The real heros are the guys that never came back".
                            Best regards,
                            Tom

Here is a Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle, a Japanese Type 30 Bayonet, and my father's .45 Cal. Model1911 Colt.
                            Attached Files
                            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

This Colt Model 1911, was on my father's side throughout the Pacific in WWII. After the war, he brought it home with him and had it refinished. He turned it into a cowboy gun by adding the staghorn grips.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Tom Yanacek; 10-29-2006, 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling
                              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X